• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Seafood Thread

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Eventide in Portland, I will have to remember that next time I am heading through Portland. I live in Gloucester, Mass on the water. A huge commercial fishing port on the East Coast. I used to put my scuba gear on in my front yard, walk across the street and catch a couple of bugs for a lobster roll and cook em up for lunch. Haven't been diving in a while, but I like to fish and clam still, occasionally catch some tasty critters. Here is my biggest bug I caught a long time ago on Cape Cod and here is a striped bass from last summer. The lobster feed 13 people and I had it cooked in a steam chamber at a restaurant my brother worked at. It came out excellent, not tough and nice and sweet. Went through a lot of butter on this guy.

View attachment 167190

View attachment 167189
I'd take the bass over the lobster any day.

James

Out There
Instructor
I can get a damn good lobster roll, on the right kind of bun, either Maine or Connecticut style
I’ve never heard of a “Connecticut Style” lobster roll in Connecticut. What is it?

Tony

tseeb
Skier
My sister used to live in Juneau, AK and would buy King Crab off the docks before returning to CA. While there is nothing like fresh, live Kings, the live Dungeness we've been buying off the boats at Pilar Point, N end of Half Moon Bay, about an hour from where we live are also great. Not sure if I've posted all these before: First two small pictures are from Jan 2022 and Jan 2021 (2.2 lb. monster), The large picture is from 2021 and is Half Moon Bay Bakery artichoke focaccia with crab cakes that my wife, who knows what to do with fresh seafood made from leftover that we cleaned.
1035CrabCakes.JPG

Attachments

• 3218Crab.JPG
    3218Crab.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 5
  • 1032Crab.JPG
    1032Crab.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 5

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Instead of mayo, they used butter to warm the lobster meat instead. :nono:

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Here in Bellingham we have a lot of boats that ply the Alaska salmon fishery. There is one fishing boat named "Desire" that has their catch flash frozen and vacuum sealed same day they are caught on a processing ship that hangs out in the fishery. They then bring it back and sell it off of the boat in Bellingham's Squalicum Harbor. This is the best salmon I've ever had. You can choose the type (king, coho, etc.).

Also close to town (in Bow at the south end of Chuckanut drive, SR11) we have Taylor Shellfish Farms which has excellent oysters, clams, Dungeness crab, and other goodies. You can get right down on the water where the farm is and buy to take home or have them cook it for you to eat there.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Digby scallops, pan fried. Need no real adornment imo
View attachment 167161
scallops are what I miss most from when I lived in Portland maine. Even better than the lobster. And wherever else I have them they are just never quite the same. (although the Thai scallop appetizer at Soule Domaine in Crystal Bay is pretty damn good). I liked to prepare them wrapped in prosciutto with a little lemon juice and then grilled… awesome

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Huh. New to me too.

Same here. Been eating them both ways all up and down the east coast all my life, and never heard that the warm butter version was called Connecticut. Learn something new every day here.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Seafood!!!
3 years ago, we moved to costal So. New Jersey, and, live a dozen miles north of Cape May on the southern tip. Cape May is a major fishing area, and, the 2nd largest provider of scallops. Local hardshell crabs and clams are a delight, @Philpug would drool over summer hardshells seasoned with Old Bay. I can eat them until my hands bleed from opening them. Scallops on Good Friday were outstanding, inflation has them at $20 per pound, worth every cent.
There is a great seafood market adjacent to the Cape May Lobster House, their local tuna steaks so much better than any other source I know. I do feel a little guilty when we buy Norwegian salmon there.
Scallops - sautée in butter on very hot pan until charred, remove then add butter and reduce to burnt butter sauce to serve on top of scallops.
Grill lobster tails on the BBQ, and, place a whole big bunch of small clams over the tails. Clams open and flavor the tails.
Also, in late summer, the Garden State has the best tomato's and corn on the cob.
We also use too much butter, is that even possible?

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
scallops are what I miss most from when I lived in Portland maine. Even better than the lobster. And wherever else I have them they are just never quite the same. (although the Thai scallop appetizer at Soule Domaine in Crystal Bay is pretty damn good). I liked to prepare them wrapped in prosciutto with a little lemon juice and then grilled… awesome

Fresh Maine sea scallops are to die for. Better yet Diver scallops. Oysters from Maine are, to me, some of the best in the world. I had a house in Mid-coast Maine for 20 some years right in the heart of Lobster and Oyster heaven. A lot of my neighbors were lobstermen/women and we'd get them fresh off their boats. Maine gulf shrimp were good too, until the fishery ran dry a number of years back; they're small like popcorn shrimp, but tasty when fresh, and good for pasta and salads. Speaking of cooking I was known ( by friends and fam ) for my seafood paella using only fresh local seafood we sourced near the house in Maine. Mussels, scallops, lobster, clams, ... yummy.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Seafood!!!
3 years ago, we moved to costal So. New Jersey, and, live a dozen miles north of Cape May on the southern tip. Cape May is a major fishing area, and, the 2nd largest provider of scallops. Local hardshell crabs and clams are a delight, @Philpug would drool over summer hardshells seasoned with Old Bay. I can eat them until my hands bleed from opening them. Scallops on Good Friday were outstanding, inflation has them at $20 per pound, worth every cent.
There is a great seafood market adjacent to the Cape May Lobster House, their local tuna steaks so much better than any other source I know. I do feel a little guilty when we buy Norwegian salmon there.
Scallops - sautée in butter on very hot pan until charred, remove then add butter and reduce to burnt butter sauce to serve on top of scallops.
Grill lobster tails on the BBQ, and, place a whole big bunch of small clams over the tails. Clams open and flavor the tails.
Also, in late summer, the Garden State has the best tomato's and corn on the cob.
We also use too much butter, is that even possible?
Also a NJ person I have been to Cape May several times and yes the seafood is great. Buying seafood off the boat dock is great, although I like to catch it fresh myself, unfortunately you don't do that for scallops and you just purchase them. The $20.00 per LBS was the going rate, not sure if that will hold with today's inflation.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January