• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Secrets of Aspen Ski Instructors, from Sex to Spilled Champagne

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
2600x-1.jpg

A pretty good read here: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...ski-instructors-from-sex-to-spilled-champagne

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Hmm have they misplaced Cloud 9? And everytime I see that place being hyped I'm reminded of how staid it is compared to Euro on mountain "après"

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hmm have they misplaced Cloud 9? And everytime I see that place being hyped I'm reminded of how staid it is compared to Euro on mountain "après"

Like the way all the dancers are using quiet upper body discipline.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
What a crap piece of journalism. Is there some of that is Aspen? Sure. But I’ve not personally experienced it in 4 seasons of teaching there. Most people want to get better or have a guide for the day. I think it’s more or less the same at all major destination resorts.
I actually thought maybe it was satire. Because it's looking for outlier-type occurrences, and I'm assuming not capturing the essence of the day to day there. Kind of like that stupid reality show filmed at Whistler, "après Ski".

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
The response from our CEO:

Dear Fellow Employees,​

As you all know, Aspen attracts a lot of media attention and some stories play up the stereotypes of wealth and celebrity. Though we always try to steer journalists away from that angle, it often remains part of the narrative. However, what was published in Bloomberg this week (included below) was offensive and crossed a line and warrants a response to set the record straight. Please know that the employees quoted here were taken advantage of by a journalist who grossly misrepresented the story he was writing. So I am not criticizing any of them in this note. I just want to be sure we are all on the same page in terms of who we really are and what we stand for.​

As you’ve heard me say countless times, our values are what make us unique and unite us with a shared purpose. Living Passionately is about bringing our best selves to our work, our families, and our community every day. This is brought to life in every position in the company. Taken literally, Bloomberg implied that ski pros spend their days babysitting and talking behind the backs of their spoiled clientele. The author (who never worked for us) actually pulled social media posts about celebrities and combined them with half quotes from our employees implying these anecdotes came from us. The fact is that we have the finest ski school in the industry and our pros are true professionals who have dedicated their lives toward sharing their passion for sport and lifestyle with anyone who will take the time to participate. They appreciate and respect their clients and they often establish family like bonds that last for generations. Same goes for the patrol, our Little Nell ski concierge and the rest of the team; we take our jobs seriously, we respect our guests and we find true joy in providing sincere hospitality to all of our visitors.​

While we do a phenomenal job delivering on our commitment to excellence, we don’t pretend to be perfect, and we always strive to get better. Honestly, the champagne spraying at Cloud 9 makes me uncomfortable, but the festive atmosphere of celebrating on the mountain is worth nurturing, and the Cloud 9 team works hard to balance that perceived excess while focusing on guest safety.​

Yes, the article was slightly amusing in some of its ridiculous exaggerations, but I truly feel it portrays exactly who we are not and we must avoid ever becoming. So I am asking you to use this as a motivator to recommit to our values and our authentic selves. If you think we are neglecting any of these areas, or if you don’t believe the company is living up to its ideals, please do not hesitate to reach out and let me or anyone in management know. If we don’t address it, I want to hear about it.​

Sincerely,​

Mike Kaplan
President and CEO
ASPEN SKIING COMPANY​

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
The author (who never worked for us) actually pulled social media posts

That was the first thing I thought when I read the article. I even wondered if the author ever skied. A strong hint comes from the fact that the author thinks that the secret societies (huh?) of instructors there invented the term "yard sale", which can be found in 10 year old 'ski lingo' glossaries all over the place.

:rolleyes:

I respect a lot of what Bloomberg as a company does, and even some of their core journalism in their business area, financial services. The 'recreational' journalism from them is simply repulsive IMHO. They cater to the wannabe rich, and they write stuff like this article all over. Cars? You are a looser if you even think of a car under the quarter million price tag. Right.

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I realize that Cloud 9, and the Veuve "consumption" is an incredible money maker. I have seen it, more than once. I watched a young lady, who I know, spend about $15K one afternoon on an Amex black card billed to dad. She thought she was a real celeb and pictures of her on a table top in her pink sports bra and goggles were all over social media.

I think that while Mike Kaplan touts Aspen SkiCo as the gold standard of the business {and in so many ways it is....}.it may be well time to eliminate that outlandish crap at Cloud 9. It's just stupid and I would be uncomfortable as the CEO as it likely is a disaster waiting to happen.

That aside, the piece was "repulsive." Knowing a number of the pros, and having family who live there and work very hard in the ski business, Bloomberg should be issuing an apology for that garbage.

No ski town is more misunderstood that Aspen, sadly. I admire Mike for getting that response right out there.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What a crap piece of journalism. Is there some of that is Aspen? Sure. But I’ve not personally experienced it in 4 seasons of teaching there. Most people want to get better or have a guide for the day. I think it’s more or less the same at all major destination resorts.
I got the idea that it was not to be taken seriously.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled

I didn't and I'm not easily fooled. I've been to Aspen, know and highly respect some Aspen Instructors I know, but I read it as a pretty much "true" story. Yes, embellished, but it made me feel, "you see, it's not Vail where all the rich people go, it's Apen!" This in defense of my own having a timeshare in Vail.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I didn't and I'm not easily fooled. I've been to Aspen, know and highly respect some Aspen Instructors I know, but I read it as a pretty much "true" story. Yes, embellished, but it made me feel, "you see, it's not Vail where all the rich people go, it's Apen!" This in defense of my own having a timeshare in Vail.
I took it as satire because it was so over the top that I couldn't imagine that it was serious, and the image is nothing but comical.
It looks like Bob is being wrangled by Spontaneous Christy.
2600x-1.jpg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The article lost all credibility for me when the author incorrectly refereed to a Texas Suitcase as a Oklahoma Suitcase.:nono:

Doby Man

Out on the slopes
Skier
My God, I had no idea of such depraved debauchery in the instruction industry. Well, it’s about time somebody instituted some parameters so our new young recruits do not end up in the wretched den of iniquity that is in, of all places, Aspen, where, apparently, the new Ski Instructor Hippocratic Oath has yet to be … emailed.

Ski Instructor Hippocratic Oath

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won technical and athletic gains of those instructors in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the less coordinated, all measures that are required, avoiding those twin traps of over-instruction and developmental nihilism.

I will remember that there is an art to skiing as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the teacher's knife or any technical subjugation.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a student’s improvement.

I will respect the privacy of my students, whether famous, for their flawed movements are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of fear, self judgement and the developmental plateau. If it is given me to save a skier, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to ruin a skier and cause plateau; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play “God”.

I will remember that I do not treat backseatidis or a cancerous weight to the inside, but the whole skier, whose faulty movement patterns and weak fundamentals may affect a person's separation and quiet stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the underdeveloped.

I will prevent skill plateaus whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of an instructional society, with special obligations to all my fellow skiers, those sound of mind and movement as well as the intellectually and technically destitute.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and snow, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of assisting all those who seek my help.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
What part of this benign and light-hearted piece got Kaplan so twitchy?

Got to say I thought it was a bit of a an overeaction but possibly the suggestion that his workers were sex objects/sex workers might be a little too on the nose for these #metoo times.

To me the article read like a lazy rehash of every meme and story I've heard about ski instruction in general and Aspen in particular, from guys who enjoyed the wild times back in the day to Aspen Extreme and Hot Dog. Hardly something to get really upset about.

As for Cloud 9, first time I went to Jackson some guest services person collared me for a questionnaire in the gondola. My suggestion as to "what could we do that would improve the place" was a Euro style big Umbrella Bar somewhere on mid mountain for après. So Cloud 9 is at least something - shame they did it in such a douchebag enabling and exclusive way. You don't have to spray overpriced chanpagne to have a good time but there is something pretty fun* about dancing on tables outside on a sunny afternoon in inappropriate footwear to silly music. It's why it's a thing. Only thing is the price of admission in Europe is a glass of beer

* for the average adult holidaymaker

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I knew I don't fit into place like this (if we forget $820/day rate... something that get me skiing for few weeks over here :D:
People want “a fun young guy,” or as Lawson interprets it, a handsome Australian or New Zealander in his 20s or 30s. (Women want to date them; men want to bro out with them.
Fun young guy to bro out with them? Seriously? What's wrong with fun girl, who knows how to ski? :D I know I know I'm weird and I don't have $820/day for instructor :D

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I took it as satire because it was so over the top that I couldn't imagine that it was serious, and the image is nothing but comical.
It looks like Bob is being wrangled by Spontaneous Christy.

Regardless of if it was good journalism or not, I agree, I took it as satire and tall tales rather than fact. I will say the cartoons illustrations were entertaining and so over the top that they couldn't be taken seriously.

I feel like the entire article was all of the stories that get passed down through the years. There was ONE instructor that got paid to take a client shopping instead of skiing...he told his buddies, they told their friends that they "know a guy that...", they told a few more people...etc.

Then there was that ONE instructor that got lucky and got tipped $10k. The story got passed on for years, and soon the amount in the story was up to $50k. The Saudi prince story seems like a far fetched story that someone once told to impress a new girl/boyfriend. As for the Cloud 9 party scene, never been there, maybe I'll have to book a trip to Aspen to experience it for myself.

And I will admit, I chuckled a bit at this one (true or not)...

A certain former first lady is beloved among instructors for her genuine affinity for slaloms. As for the current presidential couple? Not so much. Everyone still snickers about the massive blowup 30 years ago between Donald Trump and his first wife, Ivana, when she discovered he had brought along his then-mistress Marla Maples on their ski holiday. Legend has it that Ivana, who claims to have been an alternate for the Czechoslovakia Olympic team, followed him down the mountain skiing backward, berating him for his marital transgressions.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
A terribly superficial and loathsome article by Bloomberg followed by a fine response by Mike......That article from Bloomberg was just horrible. Not seven sure that was journalism. Have been a Bloomberg client for 14 years and am disappointed to read the piece. Those cartoons were just over the top. I get it, but man where those silly.

However, I particularly love that Mike makes note of the behavior at Cloud 9. That place is somewhat of an embarrassment but also has to be a cash cow. I'm surprised that no legal issues or other more serious problems have developed there. Maybe there has been some legal issues but have if so they have been kept very quiet. Not making this indictment of Could 9 or Aspen, as a skier, I have really enjoyed what the mountain has to offer.

Sponsor

Staff online