• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Secrets of Aspen Ski Instructors, from Sex to Spilled Champagne

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, @HardDaysNight, what profession do you practice? And how might you feel if someone trivialized your profession in this manner?
I am not sure there is a profession that there is not a caricature/trivialization of. I agree that it is not a flaturing piece, but as soon as a I saw the artwork I realized that I would have to take a deep breath before I started reading.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
Why do people insist on referring to this as “journalism”? It’s not, it’s a somewhat silly colour piece intended to be amusing. Note to instructors up in arms at the trivialization of their profession: lighten up and become more agreeable company or you’ll never get $10,000 tips let alone a Land Rover from a Saudi prince.

Exactly, it's not like it was billed as a hard hitting investigative piece. Most of it was pretty spot on too

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, the whole article reads like a good old Navy Sea Story. You know the difference between a fairytale and a sea story? A fairytale starts with "once upon a time." A sea story starts with "this is a no shit."

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
Fun light-hearted puff piece. I think Mike’s overreaction was understandable... nobody wants to spend $1,000/day (incl. tip, lunch for the instructor, etc.) and then worry about the personnel getting chatty with the press.

Not sure where all the hatred for Cloud Nine if comes from? Is it because it is about 3-6-times the price of a similar après party in France? Or is it because everyone gets boozy and then has to ski down? Apart from being overpriced, it’s a nice place.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Fun light-hearted puff piece. I think Mike’s overreaction was understandable... nobody wants to spend $1,000/day (incl. tip, lunch for the instructor, etc.) and then worry about the personnel getting chatty with the press.

Not sure where all the hatred for Cloud Nine if comes from? Is it because it is about 3-6-times the price of a similar après party in France? Or is it because everyone gets boozy and then has to ski down? Apart from being overpriced, it’s a nice place.
ostentatious display of wealth. And depravity.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I took it as satire because it was so over the top that I couldn't imagine that it was serious, and the image is nothing but comical.
It looks like Bob is being wrangled by Spontaneous Christy.
2600x-1.jpg
Hold on! This is INCREDIBLEs! Isn’t that Frozone skiing past in the background? If Aspen has got Frozone, there’ll never be problem with snow! My kinda place. (Actually, Aspen cost me many hundreds of thousands of dollars ... anyone remember the Parlour Car restaurant? Went in there free as a bird one night with a young lady, had an extremely expensive and rather wonderful bottle of Chateau Brane-Cantenac, and, surprising myself, came out engaged to said young lady who 36 years later is still my wife - and if two kids didn’t cost a good few hundred thousand dollars, I’d be surprised ...)

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Years ago before Skicorp bought Highlands we were sitting on the deck at Cloud 9.
2 guys came flying down the hill and did naked backflips off the roof of cloud 9. Stuck the landing
and kept going !

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm have they misplaced Cloud 9? And everytime I see that place being hyped I'm reminded of how staid it is compared to Euro on mountain "après"

NOTHING in the world can compare to Mooservirt in St. Anton...other than may Ischgl!

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
Let's just pretend everything written in this story were true. Who the hell cares? If people are having fun and not hurting anyone why should any of us give two sh&ts. If the story is not even close to being true, whatever, let's move on to the next fake article.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
N2sErRkz7_ddE3KCD1Kst5K0YeLCCZLqpsDM4e6DdiLQgwXK4iGtiN1SR_c6DtSlCTnbswB_foS0Wy_88Vt2OUbX_wSgxIkEzPqhlgo6dXwFmEqOzyevyw2tKpo27TR0M08eCf_Fgk7U7K_Lv5nxYZOV9_QotR-HzwMykYUSFzLsogbao3c=s500-pd-e365-rw-pc0xffffff

Ever see signage like this in Europe?

In US you can make a career out of defending people with no common sense. Europe attitude is that the results of being a moron are the responsibility of the moron in question. In US you can do anything (because freedom) and if there's a sign there that doesn't tell you to do something that you then do, it's a hazard that must be identified (else owner of the land where the thing happened is a bad guy).
Unfortunately we are getting there, here, too.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
'The fact is that we have the finest ski school in the industry....'

Hot damn, combine this with crystal meth, sex and spilled champagne and you are looking after best job in that industry too. Where can I sign up?

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
NOTHING in the world can compare to Mooservirt in St. Anton...other than may Ischgl!

I was gonna say.... plus Ischgl has the better night life.

Meanwhile they got some pretty cool stuff in France these days.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember Cloud 9 before the Champagne spraying. Our lodge arranged a FREE wine and cheese party once a week. Included viewing the ski patrol deck jump (usually one with a toboggin.) Probably helped that Highlands was independent then and wanted to attract busines.

Sponsor

Staff online