• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Ski Shoe…Now Open in Park City

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been to all the major bootfitters in PC. Yes I have difficult feet and high expectations as to fit and performance. Of all the people with whom I’ve worked, I’ve had the best results with Brian Potempa. Until recently, Brian managed the ski department for Gorsuch in PC. As of this summer, Brian’s started his own venture.

His studio, named The Ski Shoe, is in Prospector across from Freshies Lobster. Brian has equipped his studio with state of the art equipment. Below is a photo of a foot scan taken during a boot fitting session I had there today. If you’re looking for really high quality boot fitting when in UT, consider The Ski Shoe. Brian is more than knowledgeable, he’s talented, patient and committed.

By appointment only.

B36F5438-591C-4829-A834-3D938FF708A0.jpeg
F88C8593-B51E-4509-B958-A5A456E8FF9C.jpeg
4C814922-53C8-4B4C-913C-14C173BE7D2F.jpeg
93E96564-39D0-4EE0-8263-C2211C0C419E.jpeg

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'm not sure I get the BYOB model - it surely makes it locals only as very few visitors are going to have time for the consult, source the recommended shell then get fitted. There's obviously a big enough ski population in PC & SLC to make it work though and without the risk and cashflow of major stockholding. Might be a bit difficult mid to late season when backorders on boots can't be filled at all.

Reactions: tch

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
I'm not sure I get the BYOB model - it surely makes it locals only as very few visitors are going to have time for the consult, source the recommended shell then get fitted. There's obviously a big enough ski population in PC & SLC to make it work though and without the risk and cashflow of major stockholding. Might be a bit difficult mid to late season when backorders on boots can't be filled at all.
There is a large amount of sponsored athletes in the area that have access to factory boots but don’t ski at a level that provides factory technicians for support

Most have a few pairs that are discipline specific

multiply that by a few hundred athletes and that’s a huge amount of work.

TS
Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a large amount of sponsored athletes in the area that have access to factory boots but don’t ski at a level that provides factory technicians for support

Most have a few pairs that are discipline specific

multiply that by a few hundred athletes and that’s a huge amount of work.
Firstly, there are two basic fitting situations, existing and new boots. As to new boots, there are plenty of stores in town from which boots can be sourced. It’s an extra 5-15 minutes to do that and can be done after foot assessment which frees one from the bias of what boots happen to be in inventory.

Second, it’s a value proposition the validity of which has been proven by another bootfitter in town using the exact same model, albeit lower tech, who turns away business he can’t fit in. I’ve been to the other guy I’d rather go to Brian.

Third, really not a good thread for trolling. But thanks for the opp to lay out detail. (not you NN).

As an out of towner, the way I’d look at is an opportunity to go to one of the guys the locals look to for the best fit. Which is why I posted.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'm not trolling. I was just working out the pros and cons as a possible visitor. If that's heresy then there really is no talk at a higher level. My experience of getting a proper bootfit has been that there are only one or two candidate boots for my foot. I've been early season and got one in my size. I can see how it might be easy for some to walk into a nearby shop and get the recommended boot and be back in 5 mins I suspect that is far from a universal and smacks of hyperbole.

Like you say it's a proven business model - no doubt it works for locals. I just wouldn't want to bet on it as my go to for a Feb/March ski trip as a visitor. Unless of course there is data backing up availability of every model and size in PC at that time of year?

FTAOD - no contest on the mods to an existing boot. Always good to have a go to guy to deal with spot problems (if you can get a booking when the problem occurs of course)

Last edited:
TS
Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve had these Lange RS 130s for a couple of years. They stayed in the box as they’re my third pair of RS and the prior two involved a whole lot of fitting drama with my difficult feet.

I bit the bullet, went through fitting a couple of weeks ago and skied them for the first time yesterday. They’re perfect. First buckle perfect. Not only fit but alignment that puts me in a great neutral position.

This was accomplished in one fitting session. I’m grateful. Thanks Brian!

I’m almost tempted to try a pair of plugs.

4F1A90A7-D863-437E-AB02-A0C6271714D4.jpeg

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve had these Lange RS 130s for a couple of years. They stayed in the box as they’re my third pair of RS and the prior two involved a whole lot of fitting drama with my difficult feet.

I bit the bullet, went through fitting a couple of weeks ago and skied them for the first time yesterday. They’re perfect. First buckle perfect. Not only fit but alignment that puts me in a great neutral position.

This was accomplished in one fitting session. I’m grateful. Thanks Brian!

I’m almost tempted to try a pair of plugs.

Your next boots will be Redster CS130. It is unavoidable. It is your destiny.

TS
Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What I love about the Lange RS is they handle both soft snow/wide skis and hard snow/narrow skis so well. Do you find the Redsters versatile like that? I’ve heard a lot of positive things about them.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What I love about the Lange RS is they handle both soft snow/wide skis and hard snow/narrow skis so well. Do you find the Redsters versatile like that? I’ve heard a lot of positive things about them.
The Redster and the Lange RS have significantly stances, the Lange is more upright and the Atomic is more aggressive. If the Lange is workign for you, don't fix what isn't broken.

Sponsor