• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Spirit of RAGBRAI

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
This is a pretty amusing video. My daughter has been really enjoying the road this year, and has decided that we must do RAGBRAI next year. I love a pork tenderloin sandwich, so I agree with her.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Years ago I did a dozen or so cross-state bike rides. Eat, sleep and ride for a week. :thumb:

Never did RAGBRAI though... I couldn't get over the concept of taking a vacation to... Iowa. :( I always preferred the smaller-scale rides (a few hundred as opposed to a few thousand...) as well. RAGBRAI does seem like a unique experience though.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
RAGBRAI has become controversial. The entire staff resigned and are organizing a competing event for the same days. It all started when the Register published an embarrassing childhood video of a guy who accidentally started a charity fundraiser at RAGBRAI.

Maybe do TOSRV this year and see what happens with RAGBRAI.

dm

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
TOSRV?

I've done RAGBRAI a couple of times, and I have family out there. If we don't do RAGBRAI it will be Iowa's Ride. https://iowasride.com In all honesty, the one thing that would sway me between the two rides is if one is closer to family. Iowa's Ride has chosen the "Northern Route", which is as far from good 'ol Adam's County as you can get, so unless both rides are doing the North, we'll probably choose RAGBRAI.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
TOSRV is the Tour of Scioto River Valley in Ohio.

RAGBRAI may be a smaller event this year and/or RI might not get off the ground at all. It's sad when a nice event gets sideways in self inflicted controversy.

dm

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
yeah, the whole controversy was driven by anger of a Des Moines Register story on a guy, Carson King who held up a sign during a U of Iowa vs Ia State game on ESPN. Held a sign saying "Busch Light Supply Needs Replenished" and had his Venmo name listed.

Pretty funny sign, ended up getting lots of donations that lead to his donating it to a U of I Stead Family Children's Hospital. The Hospital was made somewhat famous due to a end of first quarter fan wave to an overlooking conf room where ill children gather.

Anyhow, things been interesting due to the Register's story noting an 8 yr old poor (racist) humor King tweeted when 16, Busch dropped him as a spokes person (and plans to have his image on cans of beer), the writer was fired due to some of his own more recent racist tweets, readership and fan anger ensued, Governor of proclaims Carson King Day, King ending up raising $3M for the Hospital, etc.

this ties into why the group who largely plans RAGBRAI (Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa) bailing, they were upset with the Register.

So much coverage here in Iowa ... and even nationally.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Yep, bummer. I wonder if they will run the same route next year as they had planned this year. I'm hoping to see the "southern route".

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Yep, bummer. I wonder if they will run the same route next year as they had planned this year. I'm hoping to see the "southern route".

Is southern Iowa that different from northern Iowa? Admittedly I haven't been there, but I envision endless farms and rolling fields in every direction for as far as the eye can see...

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Is southern Iowa that different from northern Iowa? Admittedly I haven't been there, but I envision endless farms and rolling fields in every direction for as far as the eye can see...
In another thread, Erik and I posted about a southern ride that we both were on, talk about small world. Yes, your vision is correct. What you do not appreciate is the not so sweet aroma of pig farms! A positive is there is not much climbing.
While I would like to do a similar ride, Ragbrai is just the same scenery for 7 days, plus the travel to and from as it a day's drive from east coast.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My understanding is the same route is being used.

Hey! Iowa is super varied for scenery... you first though need to travel Nebraska to appreciate. :roflmao:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I believe that Iowa is home to a few of the most dangerous cities to cyclists? One wonders why the cycling community would support RAGBRAI, until those cities change infrastructure and policy.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lots of basic ignorance ... now add "distracted driving". At least my city has been big on promoting safety and adding bike lanes all over.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Gotta give the midwesterners kudos for taking some perhaps-less-than-spectacular scenery and turning it into an 8,000-rider hootenanny. The video makes it look like a blast!

Cycle Oregon -- in my home state -- is another great one, but you are going to be doing some climbing! Currently still "on" for mid-Septmeber:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A positive is there is not much climbing.

I see that as a negative. ;)

Actually, there are a lot of rolling hills in Iowa, and some epic dirt/gravel road riding. I think it would be a fun self-supported tour to do. Yes, you'd miss the rolling party aspect of RAGBRAI, but I'd rather party with the locals at the end of a long day, to be honest.

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Gotta give the midwesterners kudos for taking some perhaps-less-than-spectacular scenery and turning it into an 8,000-rider hootenanny. The video makes it look like a blast!

Cycle Oregon -- in my home state -- is another great one, but you are going to be doing some climbing! Currently still "on" for mid-Septmeber:

I did Cycle Oregon one year -- I did the "Snake to Shore" route, from the Snake River (i.e, the Idaho border) to the Pacific Ocean. Really nice route; but Holy Hell, you will be climbing. And climbing some more. And then climbing. It was great!

I see that as a negative. ;)

Actually, there are a lot of rolling hills in Iowa, and some epic dirt/gravel road riding. I think it would be a fun self-supported tour to do. Yes, you'd miss the rolling party aspect of RAGBRAI, but I'd rather party with the locals at the end of a long day, to be honest.

I also view the lack of climbing as a negative, but that said -- endless rolling hills wear me out faster than sustained climbs do. And endless rolling hills can rack up some serious vertical after doing them all day.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Hey! Iowa is super varied for scenery... you first though need to travel Nebraska to appreciate. :roflmao:

Actually, there are a lot of rolling hills in Iowa, and some epic dirt/gravel road riding. I think it would be a fun self-supported tour to do.

And endless rolling hills can rack up some serious vertical after doing them all day.

This thread is making me think about Nebraska badlands as a destination ride.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January