• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Taos Way

jimidut

Skier since Rope Tow days
Skier
I ski the top of the bumps not the troughs. I cut through the loose snow at the bottom and blow it up on the way to the next ridge. Two turns per ridge. Saw it on Warren Miller and I Perfected it on Gadzooks in 1974. Amazed my examiner at my level 2 exam with that when I was like 60. Probably last time I attacked bumps too

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Their are those of us that never stopped skiing Outer Limits. I am hoping that continuing to ski the bumps is the magical Fountain of Youth.

Immortality.png

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
Yeah, it isn't unique to Taos, it is just emphasized more. Ask any instructor to teach you low-impact bump skiing. To reiterate, the key ideas are to use a round line and to finish uphill to reduce speed. At a more advanced level, choosing which bumps you like and skipping the ones you don't. Counterintuitively, you may need to go further down the hill on a turn to catch a well-defined "swoop" with an uphill finish.
This is the way. :popcorn:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
They didn’t teach the “Taos method” when I went to Taos in 2000. I learned it from @KingGrump at Abasin several years ago. It’s not complicated, though people make it so. There’s also plenty of people who say it’s not bump skiing.
Actually, wasn't it his son that showed you?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I grew up skiing Mary Jane and A lift at Copper, so while I’m nothing special at (soft Western) moguls, they don’t really intimidate me. Couple weeks ago I skied about halfway down A lift while talking on the phone in my left hand and holding both poles in the right (long story don’t ask), and it was smoothest slitheriest bump skiing I have ever done.

It’s very interesting to me how changing up certain things can affect other things in such a positive way. Not always, sometimes it’s more negative, but I need to figure out why it was so fun.

Last edited:

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
Is "The Taos Way" anything like "The Chicago Way"? If so, count me out ....:cool:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
but I need to figure out why it was so fun.
Taos folks would probably say it was because you stopped thinking so hard and "...you were dancing with the mountain".

They're big on that touchy-feely stuff sometimes. :ogbiggrin: This book could be illuminating...

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
Taos folks would probably say it was because you stopped thinking so hard and "...you were dancing with the mountain".

They're big on that touchy-feely stuff sometimes. :ogbiggrin: This book could be illuminating...

LOL. Do the snake dance, or do not...

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ski the Taos way. What does that really mean?

Let’s look at it by break it down into technique, tactic and head game.

To many, the Taos way usually conjures the idea of skiing techniques that is different from those normally taught under the PSIA banner. Other than the open hand pole plant, the skiing fundamentals are very similar.

Tactic wise, like PSIA, skiing the slow line fast. Nothing really new here.

Head game. IMO, the essence of the Taos way of skiing. Find the peace. Don’t feed the beast.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Couple weeks ago I skied about halfway down A lift while talking on the phone in my left hand and holding both poles in the right (long story don’t ask), and it was smoothest slitheriest bump
skiing I have ever done.
Uh huh. Don't know to whom your were talking but I want her number.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Ski the Taos way. What does that really mean?

Let’s look at it by break it down into technique, tactic and head game.

To many, the Taos way usually conjures the idea of skiing techniques that is different from those normally taught under the PSIA banner. Other than the open hand pole plant, the skiing fundamentals are very similar.

Tactic wise, like PSIA, skiing the slow line fast. Nothing really new here.

Head game. IMO, the essence of the Taos way of skiing. Find the peace. Don’t feed the beast.

yep,
looks like skiing... with another label. what I've called "old man bump skiing" for years, kinda like another ski cert process we discuss at times, new names and labels for the same skills.. usually comes when there is something to sell.
I've never skied Taos, but those bumps look a lot like the bumps at olympic valley, similar western snow, steeper pitch shapes..
speaking of Clendinen, I love his thoughts too, seems. he teaches "touch" which has so much nuance it's a lifelong pursuit, that can be changeable day by day based on snow conditions and confidence..
I think so much of the joy of skiing is feel, and figuring out how to create the feel you want, many of us don't want impact, so these focuses of flow and minimizing impact draw us in.. while some just see boring old man skiing :). case in point, my friend Robbie Huntoon (one time world mogul champ, was the ski talent for the "Hot Dog" movie) followed me down KT one day skiing a line like this, and he ripped on this line as "weak, old man skiing" and wanted me doing twice as many turns in a more direct line...

cheers!
W

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online