• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Safety The term “Side country”

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I always had issues with this sidecountry, backcountry, whatever country. I admit I'm from Europe, where we have piste (mostly groomed but as @Cheizz wrote, also few not groomed in each resort), which is controlled and off-piste, where you are on your own. 1m off piste, and you are on your own, so all these different terms for basically same thing is sort of confusing. But at least until now, I got impression that sidecountry is, as @cantunamunch said, "next to controlled areas". I agree this might be misleading, as there's nothing like being safe if it's next to controlled terrain, but on the other side, it still might be safer then pure backcountry. Not snow/avalanche vise, but general safety vise. For backcountry, I understand this as literally back country, middle of nowhere. No easy access, maybe with even no phone signal coverage. Side country would still in my mind have (relatively) easy access etc. So in case of accidents, it's easier and especially faster to get help.
But definitely, when talking about avi safety, side country is probably misleading, as it's, at least in my mind, exactly same as backcountry, even though it sounds "better" or "safer". No avi mitigation, no snow control, and you are completely on your own, regarding your decisions and your safety.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
People do like to inflate terms. We have avy controlled, gate accessed, in bounds, lift served, have-to-hike-for, patrolled, terrain at the local hill. This isnt side or back country. Skiers will come into the shop who ski this terrain and call it 'backcountry' to justify unnecessary gear choices and impress the women. Women almost never describe this area as 'backcountry'. Leave the area boundary, there's no easy, quick, lift served lapible terrain. This is backcountry even if you initially rode a lift to get there.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sidecountry is anything that can be seen from the Goldminer's Daughter.

Sorry, an OLD reference to a great Extranormal clip. :ogbiggrin:

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
I am with SBrown here. As a former pro-patroller - I sometime stood by one of our gates to uncontrolled side country skiing. Many people assumed, incorrectly, that next to the ski area is safe. Avy training and equipment was always a future purchase. Much of the problem might be due to cognitive biases, such as the Scarcity Effect.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
At Mt. Rose there is a spot where you can exit the area to FS land, ski down, and come back in. If you miss the come back in part you are then either skiing down until no more snow or getting back up to the turn. So, sidecountry until you miss the turn then back country? I've not done it but know people who have used it as just an extension of the ski area.
Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 12.34.13 PM.png

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Patroled versus not?

Personally, if people ski/walk past the warning signs without preparation or equipment and wind up killing themselves, isn't that just Darwin at work? Tragic, sure, but there's such a thing as personal responsibility.

If they walk past the warning signs and kill someone else, that's another issue.

Mike

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
I always had issues with this sidecountry, backcountry, whatever country. I admit I'm from Europe, where we have piste (mostly groomed but as @Cheizz wrote, also few not groomed in each resort), which is controlled and off-piste, where you are on your own. 1m off piste, and you are on your own, so all these different terms for basically same thing is sort of confusing. But at least until now, I got impression that sidecountry is, as @cantunamunch said, "next to controlled areas". I agree this might be misleading, as there's nothing like being safe if it's next to controlled terrain, but on the other side, it still might be safer then pure backcountry. Not snow/avalanche vise, but general safety vise. For backcountry, I understand this as literally back country, middle of nowhere. No easy access, maybe with even no phone signal coverage. Side country would still in my mind have (relatively) easy access etc. So in case of accidents, it's easier and especially faster to get help.
But definitely, when talking about avi safety, side country is probably misleading, as it's, at least in my mind, exactly same as backcountry, even though it sounds "better" or "safer". No avi mitigation, no snow control, and you are completely on your own, regarding your decisions and your safety.

Backcountry here in Europe usually means you have to somehow work for your turns by skinning or hiking up even when shortened by lift service. Sidecountry basically is what is accessible by lift service only. But both terms are often confused for sure.

You are absolutely right that anything outside the groomed runs is NOT avi controlled or considered safe.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It is on the sides of controlled areas. It is adjacent thereto. It is completely defined by being adjacent to controlled area. Phrased yet another way, it is next to controlled areas.

I think those three words 'next to controlled' are extremely dangerous together - because they imply a safety spillover from the controlled area.

Of course there is no such thing as safety spillover. But defining a backcountry area as distinct from other backcountry perpetuates the likelihood of that misconception.
Agreed and I was the one quoted by Slim in the starter post. Its really simply...backcountry is un-patrolled and un-avalanche mitigated terrain. Even if a gate from a resort takes you there...you are an area where YOU and your party are now responsible for your safety and your ability to navigate hazardous terrain based on (hopefully) some combination of training, judgement, experience AND you have (hopefully) safety gear to help ensure your safety in the event you make a mistake. When you use the term "side country" it leads to the impression that is adjacent to the resort and therefore is "just as safe" as the resort and perhaps help is nearby. I can't see any good reason to make this distinction and there are plenty of bad reasons.

Sponsor

Staff online