• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have the Indies, why not a thread about the premiums? Where many of the Indies are based here in the states, the Premiums tend to come from overseas and many have a comma in their price and some have more than one digit to the left of that comma.

We will start with a few names but not limited to these...
Bomber?
Blossom?
Hart Japana?
White Doctor?
Zai?

We have a pair of Zai's in the ski rack right now and I will say the construction and build is beautiful, base finish on par with many world cup skis and performance to match. The Zai Odagon is a burly 90mm wide all mountain ski in the 165cm length with dimensions of 123/91/103 with a slight bit of early rise. Finish is a beautiful wood inlay surrounded by aluminum. These are the entry level ski for Zai, retailing at $3,700 flat.

IMG_2021.jpg IMG_2022.JPG IMG_2023.JPG IMG_2024.JPG

These are actually not even a ski from this decade, in doing some research it appears they are a pre 2010 model. Considering that, the dimensions are very progressive for that era. @Tricia has spend minimal time on the ski and with her being more of a finesse skier, the ski did take her for a ride. We would like to get these on the feet of a smaller skier that's style is more on the power side of the scale. Any takers?

But lets start talking about some of these premium offerings. I have e-mails out to a few of the distributors to see if we can possibly get some of these skis in out test fleet.

Attachments

• IMG_2025.JPG
    IMG_2025.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 59

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
But are they 'ultra premium' skis or are they just exclusive and expensive.
I'm betting on the latter...

I'm more a 'bang for the buck' guy, Show me the skis that out perform their much more expensive competition!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
But are they 'ultra premium' skis or are they just exclusive and expensive.
I'm betting on the latter...

I'm more a 'bang for the buck' guy, Show me the skis that out perform their much more expensive competition!
They don't proclaim to be be for everyone, there is nothing wrong with being a back for the buck guy. But these are not only exclusive and expensive but in many cases beautifully build and finished magnificently.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
They don't proclaim to be be for everyone, there is nothing wrong with being a bang for the buck guy. But these are not only exclusive and expensive but in many cases beautifully build and finished magnificently.

I don't see ski AMAZINGLY anywhere there... just say'n

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are times I've made ski purchases that felt like lighting a stack of 20s on fire. If I bought ultra premium skis it would seem like one of those times.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sterling's site is still up. I wanted if they are still producing skis.

I would also add them to the list them as a US producer that is making an Ultra Premium Ski.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are times I've made ski purchases that felt like lighting a stack of 20s on fire. If I bought ultra premium skis it would seem like one of those times.
If you felt that way about a ski purchase, it was probably the wrong ski.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Is DPS a premium or an indie?

Second question…are there any 'Premium' skis that are made in a Chinese factory (including island factories owned by the PRC)?

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
SkiLogic? I've only seen one pair, but the topsheets were BEAUTIFUL.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I own two pairs of skilogiks (Occam's Razor and the Howitzer) both beautiful to behold, for sure.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is DPS a premium or an indie?

Second question…are there any 'Premium' skis that are made in a Chinese factory (including island factories owned by the PRC)?
DPS..Premium Indie? I will be seeing them next week..I will ask them how they classify themselves.

Ultra Premiums tend to come out of smaller factories in Europe and here in the U.S.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
White Doctors aren't particularly premium are they?

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I did some snowboard topsheet graphics for Carradan -- prices were out of this world. They probably aren't in business anymore?? I should see if the web site is still up.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I wouldn't consider Blossom or Bomber to be ultra premium. Blossoms are nice skis, but they're not ultra premium. Bogner skis, yes. Wagner yes. Also, I'd never buy a pair. I think skis like the Volkl V-Werks get pretty darn close to what you are talking about though.

Sponsor

Staff online