• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Unofficial Official 2021 Anti-Social Taos Micro Gathering.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The unofficial official 2021 anti-social Taos micro gathering is now official in progress. If you haven't received your personal invitation yet. Don't bother looking. You are not invited.

For this event, we pull a few strings with Ullr. He dumped 25" of the fresh stuff just to soften things up for us.
This is what it looks like couple days back. Looking for my car. It's in there somewhere.

1616113873135.png

Had a great day with @Lady_Salina and Mamie on the hill.

Lift #1
1616113990000.png

Base of Kachina Peak.
1616114090590.png

If anyone wants to join the festivities, please let us know. So we can hide from you.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Can't wait to ski that peak above. Trains planes and automobiles, and no skis to be found at the end of the trail. Thank goodness for friends with ski coats, helmets, pants, good rentals, gloves and a reprint of the my Ikon pass and I was finally ready to ski while my luggage enjoyed a warm holiday in Dallas Fort Worth, least I made it to pick up the car. Always good to demo some boots and try out new ski.

Driving up through the dessert landscape I had no idea what was hiding behind the sandy dessert looking hills.
IMG_1965.jpg
IMG_1968.jpg

Guarding the skis. Mamie got me all set up with ski clothes to wear, a new print of my ikon pass, a good rental store with premium rentals and fast so I made it out to the hill for a few hours after having to wait for luggage that was a no show in Santa Fe.
DSCF2070.JPG

All set up with great borrowed gear for the afternoon and a demo of the Lange RS 130 Stockli SC. For the Stokli people the SC sucks...Bruce might a made me say that. But sorry I do like my
Atomic S9 better. I know their not meant to be the same but the stockli was very stable but not as twitchy as I'd like for the fun value when pushed. It did not like when I went slow on groomers, grabbed here and there, wanted me to ski fast and predictably, didn't like me to change up my turn size, it was decent in the soft bumps and would let me make controlled short turns. It was very impressive to be able to rent a pair of boots that would allow me to drive a ski. Many thanks to Alain Verth who happened to know he had my size in that boot and quickly cut me a superfoot insole out to help with it. Quite good hold in the ankle for me, definitely stiff and worked.
DSCF2072.JPG

The two kids I hung out with for the afternoon.

DSCF2074.JPG
They saved me some snow from Sunday's dump.
DSCF2081.JPG

Nice to be on real snow that the pole actually goes in to....

DSCF2087.JPG

And a bad day became a great day.

Attachments

• DSCF2081.JPG
    DSCF2081.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Repeating myself from another thread, but I think I have to say it twice...

Just be thankful you are not here. Buffer friends will not be available at this gathering. :ogbiggrin:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Grump, what Red boots are you wearing? If it's what I think, I get the unbuckled thing

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Grump, what Red boots are you wearing? If it's what I think, I get the unbuckled thing

The red boot is an Atomic WC 130 Pro.
I have always skied with my boot unbuckled for more than 15 years. Four pairs of Head. Three pairs of Fischer and now the Atomic. I don't ski that aggressively. It just feels right.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Damn

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
And how many times a day do you have to respond to "Hey, do you know your boots are unbuckled" ?
The first time I met @KingGrump I mentioned the buckles and asked if he was going to buckle them. He said, "Why? I ski with you guys!" That was at JH on the way to the Big Sky gathering a few years back. He skied off as I stood there wondering what just happened.

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And how many times a day do you have to respond to "Hey, do you know your boots are unbuckled" ?

Usually couple times a day if I am skiing alone and ride with other skiers. Otherwise, zero.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a very demure outfit for you, KG.

PS: It was my pride that I lost, not my soul. If I'm going to part with my soul I'm darn well going to sell it!

The two kids I hung out with for the afternoon.

DSCF2074.JPG

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The red boot is an Atomic WC 130 Pro.

I am in a new pair of Atomic Redster Club Sports that fit, dare I say, "perfectly". When I first read the post about unbuckled boots, I thought, he must ski really slow or he's crazy. Now that I have skied my Redsters, I can understand it totally. If they fit like a glove, you don't need em tight unless you want to push your limits. I buckle mine, snug, but that's all it takes for total control.

I wish I was in Taos with you, not that we know each other, but I was planning on attending the Taos gathering this year, was bummed it was canceled, made reservations for the last week in Feb for a trip, and canceled them due to Covid. Looks like you picked a good week and have fun.

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a very demure outfit for you, KG.

That's one of the incognito outfit I put on when "new" friends come to Taos. Just in case they can't handle the terrain. I know @Lady_Salina is a long time CSIA L3, but one never knows.

She did OK. I can go back being loud again. :ogbiggrin:

Looks horrible...:eek:

Skied even worse.

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
I can confirm it was good. Here‘s a shot from Jean’s looking back at my lodging for the cycle. 819A72A3-13B9-4BE9-B4CE-7206509971BF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another beautiful day at Taos, glad I waited for a lift to ski Kachina. oh yea, got my ski gear back.

I made it up to Kachina, snow was soft still but a bit heavy though not spring cornish yet. It just liked to bury a narrow ski, wish I had my great joys and then it would have been a really Great Joy to ski! Fun day, wonderful bumps where ever I followed the Grumps in trees and front side, I guess Spencer, Owl's run, really nice conditions for spring bumps. Snow still not corn. Not many photos, I was busy skiing but I did take a photo of the K chute, no idea what one...

Had fun skiing, the bottom portion of the K-chute in the photo below was really wonderful to ski and reminded me very much of Ruby Bowl and Whistler in spring.
DSCF2093_1.JPG

Looking back up to the top.

DSCF2094.JPG
Mamie's kicking up a little snow here show's it is snow.
DSCF2098.JPG

She's still wishing she had her powder from the other day but kicked a little of the heavy stuff at us.

DSCF2099.JPG

Oh yea, i must have been skiing bad today cause there's no photos of me, maybe they were embarrassed.

Sponsor

Staff online