• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Unofficial Official 2021 Anti-Social Taos Micro Gathering.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Massive winds did a number of some of the snow Tuesday night. Think 2 foot wind ridges on one side of a run and wind scoured on the other side. 2 spun right away though and west basin was open to meatball from the start. kachina should spin today with the storm ending. Patrol took 3 packs of bombs and brought back 1.5 during control work. View attachment 129450 View attachment 129451 View attachment 129452
That's what happened when we skied Steamboat earlier in the season. Huge dump with tons of wind, didnt' ski like it was the depth that they officially got.
Pick up another 7" overnight.
Spent the day mostly in trees and bumps with Mamie and couple long time regulars.
This late season snow pack is probably the best I have ever seen in all my years at Taos. The mountain is skiing exceptionally well.
Usually we navigate through the trees by the various rock clusters on the trails. This year, all the rocks are covered. All our beacons are gone. We are wandering lost in the trees. Help. :ogbiggrin:

View attachment 129521

$ Slot.
View attachment 129523
That looks delightful.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe they'll show you how to buckle your boots properly.
I’m sure they’re well known for it.
Maybe the snow getting in the bottom overlap will be mentioned. Melts and makes the feet cold. Even keeping my cuff unbuckled it gets in.
ABE64293-0D65-43BE-85C6-E340A81C21DF.jpeg

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I’m sure they’re well known for it.
Maybe the snow getting in the bottom overlap will be mentioned. Melts and makes the feet cold. Even keeping my cuff unbuckled it gets in.
View attachment 129745

There's unbuckled and then there's actually unbuckled. I'll run with my buckles exceptionally loose, but they're at least actually buckled down. I would be breaking off buckles every day if I tried to ski with my buckles actually sitting out away from the boot unbuckled. That's the part of this that is really surprising.

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow! You are definitely taking one for the team this season.

We do what we can for the greater good.

We buy decent boots. They don't leak.

There's unbuckled and then there's actually unbuckled. I'll run with my buckles exceptionally loose, but they're at least actually buckled down. I would be breaking off buckles every day if I tried to ski with my buckles actually sitting out away from the boot unbuckled. That's the part of this that is really surprising.

We ski slowly. We are senior citizens after all.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Massive winds did a number of some of the snow Tuesday night. Think 2 foot wind ridges on one side of a run and wind scoured on the other side. 2 spun right away though and west basin was open to meatball from the start.

I was there Wednesday, and it was ridiculous. Crazy drifting. And the weirdest part was that the wind was blowing the opposite way of normal, so your regular loaded spots were scoured, and vice versa. There was actually snow covering the rocks on the out-of-bounds side of Highline Ridge.

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Good day of spring skiing. Winter snow with spring temperatures up at Kachina. The stiff breeze kept the heat of the sun from soaking into the snow. Fantastic winter snow conditions without the chill.

Kachina Peak from the lift.
B1a.jpg

Hunziker Main skied very well.
B2a.jpg

Line up of the usual suspects.
B3.jpg

@Jenny , said hello to Derek for you. Made a run with him just before lunch.
B8.jpg

Looks like tomorrow will be another warm spring day.

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yesterday was a windy day. All chairs were on wind hold except for #4, #7 & #7A. Called a early day.

Today was sunny & warm. Not warm enough to thaw the lower runs. The snow off the ridge and peak were still winter like. No freeze thaw cycle yet. Ski du jour - Atomic FIS SL.

The morning line up.
C3.jpg

Lunch was nice and warm in the sun.
C2.jpg

Afternoon gang.
C1.jpg

Tomorrow looks to be a real spring day. High of 41°.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think I'm in for a real spring day today myself lol, but mine comes after a mini summer, 77 yesterday, 40's today!

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
TSV has been so impressed with Slim's good work off chair #2. They has retained another member of the Slidell clan for the required safety work off the peak. Sally has her office at the base of the peak chair. A slight bit less exposure to the elements than Slim's office at the top of chair #2.

Here is Sally Slidell working hard in her office at the peak chair. Sally is wearing pink.
D1.jpg

Mamie & friend at the peak.
D2.jpg

Late afternoon crew.
D3.jpg

It was a really warm spring day. Still winter snow at the peak and off the ridge. Tomorrow will be much warmer.

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw Sally Slidell hard at work at the base of the peak chair yesterday. Never knew she was blonde. No matter, my preference leans toward brunette anyway.

E1_Sally Slidell.jpg

Today was the last day for TSV. Sunny in the morning. Overcast in the afternoon. Endless supply of marshmallow sweetened with Elmer's glue. Till next season.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I imagine that there's plenty of snow to stay open for weeks longer. Why does TSV shut down so early?

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I imagine that there's plenty of snow to stay open for weeks longer. Why does TSV shut down so early?

TSV always closes the first Sunday of April.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
I was there the week of the 21st of March and oh boy that was an amazing week for snow! I took ski week with Stephanie who is an amazing instructor, it's my 2nd year in a row taking a private ski week with her. This ski week was the first time I skied off the Ridge 2X in 1 week, the 2 runs were Corner Chute and Wild Wild West trees, skied off Kachina on my first day in Taos, then a few times later again, skied Pollux - all in the ski week group. I remember thinking I can't believe I skied Pollux after looking at it from lift 2, but the snow was amazing and Stephanie was great at encouraging me so it all worked out. Yes, both Castor and Pollux are steep and Pollux is steep tree run! Valkyries glades used to be a big achievements, now it's a terrain I would just casually ski in good snow without hesitation.

I even took a few runs with @KingGrump and Mamie on one of the afternoons. @KingGrump is great to follow through the bumps. I am still learning on picking the best line in bumps while he does so effortlessly.

@Jenny one of my ski weeks was with Derek, he is great, such a cool guy. Taos feels like home away from home- I love the mountain. I love dropping my skis off for tuning at Le Ski Mastery, chatting with Alaine or his daughter Amanda, meeting up to ski with a few locals that I met via Taos ski weeks. It's too bad we couldn't dinners with other people. I will be back for another ski week with Stephanie and my friends.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Olesya C - Glad you liked it! Derek skied me into the ground before lunch. You sound better equipped to handle it. That said, another week with him would be great - maybe next year.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
TSV always closes the first Sunday of April.

I get that, but why? Do they traditionally lack the snow or is it the demand? Always seems crazy to me how the resorts struggle to get open and then close when there's plenty of snow.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I get that, but why? Do they traditionally lack the snow or is it the demand? Always seems crazy to me how the resorts struggle to get open and then close when there's plenty of snow.
I've gotta think it's all demand based. People are dying to get out in the fall... and by April they're done and mentally moving on to other things. So you open as early as possible, and close when the crowds tail off, even though there's a lot of snow.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online