• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Unofficial Official 2021 Anti-Social Taos Micro Gathering.

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I get that, but why? Do they traditionally lack the snow or is it the demand? Always seems crazy to me how the resorts struggle to get open and then close when there's plenty of snow.

I've closed out TSV many seasons in the past. It is like a ghost town once the Texas spring break is over.

Pasha

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Great trip/gathering report. Too bad I could not make it out there this year.

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Great trip/gathering report. Too bad I could not make it out there this year.

No worries, mate. There is always next year. You'll just be one year older. :beercheer:

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, those are your skis, but where are Mamies?

Dude, we are trying make the best of a abbreviated season. Didn't started with the normal load of 13 skis. Skimmed on the fat ones since we started at the end of Feb.
Anyway, Mamie is a Stockli girl but I am not a Stockli guy. So you can figure where the split is.

PSA: Get your shot(s) and c'mon out to Squaw and Mammoth in May. Still plenty of skiing to be had.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got my shots, but I have this work thing I have to do for a few more years. I will be skiing at Killington several more weekends into May though, got my spring pass. Not sure the snow will last until Memorial Day though.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I imagine that there's plenty of snow to stay open for weeks longer. Why does TSV shut down so early?
I get that, but why? Do they traditionally lack the snow or is it the demand? Always seems crazy to me how the resorts struggle to get open and then close when there's plenty of snow.
People stop coming. There have been years where they stayed open longer due to a huge snowpack, but the only customers are a few die-hard pass holders. No income to speak of for TSV or the vendors. Same at Ski Santa Fe. People go instead to the desert, rivers, etc. Bikes and golf clubs.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
hmmm maybe if i have to cancel due to my new broken in two places toe that doesn't look like it will fit in a ski boot any time soon... it would be good enough for mammoth.... Boot will be so pissed if I cancel out on squaw when he can get time off and then decide I can ski the following week...

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
hmmm maybe if i have to cancel due to my new broken in two places toe that doesn't look like it will fit in a ski boot any time soon... it would be good enough for mammoth.... Boot will be so pissed if I cancel out on squaw when he can get time off and then decide I can ski the following week...

Bummer. My cure was to Soak in Epson salts everyday-and arnica. Mine shrunk enough to fit in boots, perhaps won't like bumps but.. they're spring slush bumps. I broke mine jan112020 back skiing jan 28th, i have high pain tolerance. the ouch was getting out of boot.

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

As I said on FB, you can always get pair of Apex. Then we may decide not to know you on the slope. :duck: :ogbiggrin:

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Pretty much all the resorts in the rockies closed because of lack of skier interest, not because of lack of snow. Most close with 6 foot of snow in the parking lot, and deepest base they had all season. That has been the case for 40 years. I think they should try and stay open longer, and do a better job of marketing "spring skiing". I have actually never skied past mid April because of resort closures. It's good to see A basin stay open so longer, I want to try and make a May trip.

Sponsor