• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The weight of a helmet

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A customer was looking at the MIPS options of helmets in our store a few days ago and noticed a fairly big difference between two different helmet weights when holding one in each hand.

Does weight matter to you?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
YES!!!!!!!!

For years I wore a 12oz Smith (Maze/Allure), and last year I moved to an 18oz Variance. Not going any heavier. I will just wear a hat in that case.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like light weight, the lighter the better.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@SBrown, we used to sell the Maze which was really easy to sell, but now we have the Discord, which is really heavy.

I wish we still had the Maze.
Giro is making some fairly heavy helmets, yet they also have some of the lightest options on the market with the Montane, and Edit/Flare

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Guess I never paid too much attention to helmet weight. Went and hoisted my three lids and they all feel about the same. My POC Fornix MIPS feels the best on my head, FWIW.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I really love POC helmets but they were just too heavy. I have a few bad vertebrae and the weight caused increased pain due to the extra effort to balance it especially in variable terrain. Scott makes a very light MIPS helmet. Harder to find though

I ended up with the Salomon Prophet Air, although not MIP's it fits so well and I really like the design. Its also very warm over the ears.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
A customer was looking at the MIPS options of helmets in our store a few days ago and noticed a fairly big difference between two different helmet weights when holding one in each hand.

Does weight matter to you?

No. Not until now!:mad:

The next time I put on my helmet, it will probably drive me crazy!

Gee thanks!:(

Xela

On the way to Squaw
Skier
Going from no helmet to a Giro G9 felt heavy at first. Soon the neck muscles adjust. Adding a GoPro on top was a similar process. Now that I have some sort of POC MIPS helmet, I don't notice anything, but I haven't mounted the GoPro on it yet.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Weight isn't a big deal for me, given I have to wear a FIS R2013 certified racing helmet for my super-G demos. I use the Briko Vulcano 6.8, which isn't too weighty. I ride and race road bikes all summer, and have lids that run the gamut from 216 grams (a Bell Gage) to 305 grams (a Rudy Project Slinger). A lot of the perceived weight has to do with helmet fit: if it's not a good fit and rattles around some, it will feel heavier, regardless of the actual weight.

For free skiing, I wear a Giro G9, which is far lighter and better ventilated, but not nearly as impact-resistant as the Briko (no vented lid meets the FIS impact regulations). Of note: I was wearing a G9 when I had the crash that resulted in #projectfemur. The G9 did its job very, very well.

DeAnn Sloan

ACLs are overrated.
Skier
This model is a whopping 8oz... Warren didn't seem to mind.

IMG_6268.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I feel like he has slimmed down some now that he is motoring EVERYWHERE. That was over the summer. Haha.

Aw, it's always sad when they do that. (But more sad if they eventually don't, I guess.)