• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The windproof-fronted fleece overpant thread. Is the wind colder than the saddle?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Must have: windproof front facing.

Strong preference: 200 weight fleece or higher.

Strong preference: cuffed (gripper) leg holes, *not* loose or zippered.

Weak preference: cargo pockets *not* side slash pockets

So, for example, the North Face Tekware fleece pant is a NO.

Whatcha got?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those "asks" make this a bit of a unicorn quest.

But they gotta be out there somewhere, right?! ;)

IMO skip the fleece part and go with a PI Amphib bib tight.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The sad thing is, I had a pair just like this back in the 90's. Gore-tex front panels, nylon/wool back panels, cargo pockets zip-up.. I think they cuffs were zip with stretch though. But they were great, kept the wind and water off the front, breathed out the back, could wear them and not look totally Lance...good for MTB and road equally. Progress I guess..

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The sad thing is, I had a pair just like this back in the 90's. Gore-tex front panels, nylon/wool back panels, cargo pockets zip-up.. I think they cuffs were zip with stretch though. But they were great, kept the wind and water off the front, breathed out the back, could wear them and not look totally Lance...good for MTB and road equally. Progress I guess..

Exactly. I still have 3 pairs dating back to a shopping trip at MEC in 2003 - and a TNF "90s throwback" pair from 2012.

All of them are ...not in great shape anymore. But they're so awesome for the weather we're having *right now* that herself wants a couple of pairs.

IMO skip the fleece part and go with a PI Amphib bib tight.

Yeh, she has plenty of those - and the Santini equivalents. Not remotely warm enough.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
She's got a Strava code from Endura and been looking at things like the MT500 - of course there isn't anything in anything close to a size she could wear.

The womens Burner has the right cuffs but just isn't insulated to that level.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Must have: windproof front facing.

Strong preference: 200 weight fleece or higher.

Strong preference: cuffed (gripper) leg holes, *not* loose or zippered.

Weak preference: cargo pockets *not* side slash pockets

So, for example, the North Face Tekware fleece pant is a NO.

Whatcha got?
I use Swix XC ski pants that are wind proof in the front with a fleece facing. No pockets and they do have zippered ankles. I used them yesterday on a 10 degree morning while riding my mountain bike on a cyclocross course. I was toasty warm. I used to have an old but good pair of Pearl Izumi windproof-fronted fleece tights (Amphib?) but hubbie put them in the dryer, and they kind of melted. :rolleyes:

I also have a pair of Craft XC tights that work well and have similar features.

Why do you need pockets in the pants? If it’s cold enough to require this type of pant/tight, wouldn’t you be wearing some sort of jacket that has pockets? (I use an old-but-great Craft hooded cycling jacket that has pit zips, side pockets, and a rear zippered pocket). I also have an awesome 66North (from Iceland) zippered, hooded windproof fleece-lined top that works great too but doesn’t allow for as much layering.

To answer your question: Yes, the wind is colder than the saddle, after my butt has warmed the saddle up. ;)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeh, she has plenty of those - and the Santini equivalents. Not remotely warm enough.

:geek: Holy differing metabolisms, Bat Man!

I don't even consider breaking out the Amphib tights unless it's 10 degrees F or lower.

She's got a Strava code from Endura and been looking at things like the MT500 - of course there isn't anything in anything close to a size she could wear.

I've owned 3 pieces of Endura clothing, and all have been great.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
:geek: Holy differing metabolisms, Bat Man!

I don't even consider breaking out the Amphib tights unless it's 10 degrees F or lower.

At 10F you're not getting rain mixed in with the snow like we are. And she's already hyper-sensitive from a couple of frostbite flirts.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
To answer your question: Yes, the wind is colder than the saddle, after my butt has warmed the saddle up. ;)

Seat abrasion has been the primary wear mechanism for all of my old ones - I have to STOP going in for coffee and leaving the bike to freeze again :/

Why do you need pockets in the pants? If it’s cold enough to require this type of pant/tight, wouldn’t you be wearing some sort of jacket that has pockets? (I use an old-but-great Craft hooded cycling jacket that has pit zips, side pockets, and a rear zippered pocket).

Yeh, those front pockets don't work very well for her in roadie position, and as you point out, most jackets in this grade have only one zippered rear pocket instead of 3 or 3.5 vertical ones like the actual jerseys do.

Thigh pockets are now a thing even on summer-weight bibs, and she is a confirmed fan :huh: but the point of that (weak) preference was that slash pockets like winter running pants have are useless to her, zippered or not.

Last edited:

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seat abrasion has been the primary wear mechanism for all of my old ones - I have to STOP going in for coffee and leaving the bike to freeze again :/

Yeh, those front pockets don't work very well for her in roadie position, and as you point out, most jackets in this grade have only one zippered rear pocket instead of 3 or 3.5 vertical ones like the actual jerseys do.

Thigh pockets are now a thing even on summer-weight bibs, and she is a confirmed fan :huh: but the point of that (weak) preference was that slash pockets like winter running pants have are useless to her, zippered or not.
I have some nice Fjäll Raven hiking tights that have the nice pockets you describe. But not worthy for winter riding. Maybe they make something appropriate; they make great cold weather coats.

Maybe she should just bite the bullet and put a little zippered bag on her handlebars.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

I have some nice Fjäll Raven hiking tights that have the nice pockets you describe. But not worthy for winter riding. Maybe they make something appropriate; they make great cold weather coats.

Maybe she should just bite the bullet and put a little zippered bag on her handlebars.

She has one (2L) it's just beastly to clean with the salt and mud slop.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For sure. Strava should give me extra effort credit for washing 2+ bikes a day.
Why I ride my fat bike or mountain bike off the roads when it’s crappy with salt. :).
I guess I don’t have the patience or fortitude you do.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Why I ride my fat bike or mountain bike off the roads when it’s crappy with salt. :).

IMG_20220104_141255.jpg

IMG_20220109_090417.jpg

All 4" thick glaze ice now. Bridges and shaded climbs especially.

Sponsor

Staff online