• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Wizardry of Merlin - No, Not That Merlin

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I recently had my mind blown by Merlin, the birding app published by Cornell Ornithology. Specifically it was blown by the feature that identifies birds within earshot by sound. I ran it for exactly one minute on our deck and even with a neighbor's lawn mower droning in the background it identified nine birds.

Now, none of these except one was at all a surprise to me; they're all common birds on the property, as are several more identified in other sessions. This only validates the app's accuracy in my view.

The magic of it for me is that I think this is going to be a major breakthrough in my ability to learn birding by ear through reverse engineering, so to speak. I've always been pretty bad at that. With this thing in hand, I'm like "Oh, that's what makes that call!"

Screenshot_20220613-180601.png

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Been running BirdNET for a few years - very good at identifying European robins.

Assume it runs on the same Cornell API. Will have to see if Merlin is an improvement.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I recently had my mind blown by Merlin, the birding app published by Cornell Ornithology. Specifically it was blown by the feature that identifies birds within earshot by sound. I ran it for exactly one minute on our deck and even with a neighbor's lawn mower droning in the background it identified nine birds.

I was thinking K2 Merlin....it is a ski forum...

I was thinking that the failure point is the users' ears proper, esp. ears of a certain age.

The lawn mower situation begs the question - can the birding app can also manage a level-flattened remote super-directional microphone into a set of noise cancelling headphones.

In laymans terms, optionally given up to about $600 of additional microphone and headphone hardware, can it be a birding specific hearing aid?

Last edited:

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, the Cornell app is great. They also have a lot of bird cams on YouTube.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Been running BirdNET for a few years - very good at identifying European robins.

Assume it runs on the same Cornell API. Will have to see if Merlin is an improvement.
Yeah, BirdNET runs off the Cornell database. The BirdNet is quicker to get to the id function, Merlin is easier to get to reference info. But both can do both with a few more taps.

I do find that firing up the app makes the birds shut up. ogwink

I graduated from Cornell, and I've been designating my yearly alumni contributions to split between the Lab of Ornithology and the library.
The magazine the lab mails out is gorgeous. One of the few publications I still get on paper. (It is called "Living Bird", as opposed to the Audubon-era tradition of shooting them to study them)

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks - this is great! Maybe not so great for helping me get work done this afternoon though.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny, this comes up today. This aft I
spied some orange feathers in our hedge and then the bird and a nest (!) in our neighbors’ dogwood justplanted Spring 2021. We thought we’d been hearing oriole musical calls, but this bird was making a clicking sound. Hubby has Merlin on his phone, which in a few seconds
C4A2AB88-EA2E-4127-8CC5-6120985EEFF3.jpeg
identified the clicks as Baltimore oriole. Who knew Orioles had clicks and calls? We’re Red Sox fans.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I may download it tomorrow. There is a bird outside my living room window every night after 12 AM. We been calling it the night bird. Probably just a NYC pigeon on crack.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here's the ID I got just now. I'm REALLY impressed- these birds are at least three lots away, faint even to my ears. I don't know how I would have otherwise known about either the Mockingbird or the Nuthatch (first I've known about that bird). The Crow I got ;)

FUN!!!

Attachments

• 95FDA8D1-90E9-4ED0-92CE-4C707E63E745.png
    95FDA8D1-90E9-4ED0-92CE-4C707E63E745.png
    285.7 KB · Views: 7

Sponsor

Staff online