• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Wizardry of Merlin - No, Not That Merlin

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'm going to have to try it. I've been hearing a Saw-whet Owl some nights. That is a weird sound.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm going to have to try it. I've been hearing a Saw-whet Owl some nights. That is a weird sound.
Interesting phenomenon where a thing is named after something that in a different age was so commonplace as to be a reference point for everyone - in this case the sound of a saw being sharpened by hand - but which for most people now would be a "Huh?"

James

Out There
Instructor
If there is now (there was a civilian aviation system, not exactly an app, back in 2010), three guesses as to where it's being used, and they may as well all be the same guess.
Saw a version of that back in 2006 mounted on the back of a Marine vehicle in Nyc. This was on a ship, an Assault Carrier, the USS Iwo Jima I think. There for Fleet Week. It was relatively small, maybe 8 inch legs, looked like a large Jax. I asked what it was and was told some version of, it was for locating direction of incoming fire. Did not expect that!
E268C1C8-2582-4131-8F3F-82B929598A81.jpeg

Jax. For those who forgot, or never knew.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January