• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Youtube rabbit hole OR things that are things that I didn't know about

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Andy Mink posted a comment about a Queen Rabbit Hole.
I ended up watching the side by side of Live Aid with Queen side by side with the remake for the movie Bohemian Rhapsody

James

Out There
Instructor
This is interesting. Anyone know what this is from? The narrator, who only has a brief line, is Warren Miller. Or someone who sounds just like him.
Phil Hill goes back to visit Ferrari years after racing for them.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Anybody else watch Rick Beato music history/analysis videos? He does a lot of fun rock music appreciations. Watching them can lead down a pretty deep rabbit hole. He also does some excellent interviews. Here's an hour+ one where he talks to a writer about how the music and online publishing businesses are on a race to the bottom. Songs, articles, etc. are getting shorter, dumber, quicker in a race for the best click bait. In fact, they jokingly describe how some music execs think 16 second songs for tik tok is the future of their business:

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Anybody else watch Rick Beato music history/analysis videos? He does a lot of fun rock music appreciations. Watching them can lead down a pretty deep rabbit hole. He also does some excellent interviews. Here's an hour+ one where he talks to a writer about how the music and online publishing businesses are on a race to the bottom. Songs, articles, etc. are getting shorter, dumber, quicker in a race for the best click bait. In fact, they jokingly describe how some music execs think 16 second songs for tik tok is the future of their business:
One of my favorites. He is an encyclopedia of stuff I don't understand but I can, and have, listened to him for hours. The other one I really enjoy is The Charismatic Voice. She's a legit opera singer and voice coach who breaks down the voices of singers of all types of music. He expressions would make a Disney princess jealous. Highly recommended.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
One of my favorites. He is an encyclopedia of stuff I don't understand but I can, and have, listened to him for hours. The other one I really enjoy is The Charismatic Voice. She's a legit opera singer and voice coach who breaks down the voices of singers of all types of music. He expressions would make a Disney princess jealous. Highly recommended.

This is a very interesting 2022 video where youtube musicologist Rick Beato himself is being interviewed in front of an audience that wants to know how he developed a successful youtube channel.
Quick takeaways:
- Beato works 100 hrs per week to make two videos and one livestream show each week,
- he never knows exactly why one of his video proves to be more popular than another,
- he shares info on which youtube metrics are important - it's not just # of views, but duration of views, or how fast you gain views - scoring well in these factors gets you featured with more prominence on youtube
- if he knew then what he knows now, he might never have started a channel because it's so much work, too much for a 59 yr old.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The P51D is one of my all time favorite airplanes. Beautiful to look at yet deadly in the air. There are a few still left and a favorite of air racers. Clipped wings and some other mods get them up over 500mph at the Air Races in Stead. Racing with other WW2 birds just off the ground around pylons is one of the most exhilarating motor sports on the planet. Also quite dangerous for pilot and spectators alike. This video is a great breakdown of the plane.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This cover of Viva Las Vegas by Shawn Colvin closes out The Big Lebowski but at least last I checked could only be found in the movie and on Youtube. Great cover.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
I follow a guy who cuts his grass like a golf course. I’m not much of a lawn guy. I also follow a channel that homebrews their own mead. I have no intention of ever brewing my own stuff. YouTube, man, it sucks you in.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I follow a guy who cuts his grass like a golf course. I’m not much of a lawn guy. I also follow a channel that homebrews their own mead. I have no intention of ever brewing my own stuff..

At least all that sounds a lot more useful than the current Twitter/TikTok/Youtube furor over whether classical Rome actually existed or was, secretly, just Greek. :roflmao:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I follow a guy who cuts his grass like a golf course. I’m not much of a lawn guy. I also follow a channel that homebrews their own mead. I have no intention of ever brewing my own stuff. YouTube, man, it sucks you in.
I used to make mead. Raspberry and Blackberry flavored was nice.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone into boogie woogie? I fell waay down this rabbit hole this morning.
I watched a few of those some time back. They started out fun but then the "oh, I don't know how to play, can you show me?" schtick got really annoying.

RiderRay

Getting off the lift
Skier
The P51D is one of my all time favorite airplanes. Beautiful to look at yet deadly in the air. There are a few still left and a favorite of air racers. Clipped wings and some other mods get them up over 500mph at the Air Races in Stead. Racing with other WW2 birds just off the ground around pylons is one of the most exhilarating motor sports on the planet. Also quite dangerous for pilot and spectators alike. This video is a great breakdown of the plane.
The P51 and the F4U Corsair are my 2 favorite planes (the 1970 Cessna 150 too, the plane I learned to fly in).

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The P51 and the F4U Corsair are my 2 favorite planes (the 1970 Cessna 150 too, the plane I learned to fly in).
I fell in love with the F4U as a kid watching Baa Baa Blacksheep (Black Sheep Squadron). Those bent wings!

Sponsor