• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

There's a 90-100mm sized hole in my heart

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Exiled from VT, trying to ski off the Capitol Dome
So, the snow hasn't even started and I find myself gazing at the ski wall and wondering if I need to pick up another pair of sticks, because...well...reasons.

Northern VT home turf:
Liberty V76 (179) holds my CarvyMcCarv Carv slot.
DPS Cassiar 87 (184) (Alchemist) is the daily driver at this point - bumps, hard snow trees, groomers, no new snow past 7 days.
J The Metal (186) Go to ski for all things Feb-Mar unless we just get no snow for a week. Trees, crud, launching myself off things I'm too old for.
DPS Wailer 112 (184) Touring and powda fun. Really ought to be on a 189, but the pro deal was for a 184, so I manage. Tree skiing god sticks.

I used to have a DPS Cassiar Foundation 95 in 185 but I unloaded them last year. I kind of regret it, but it just didn't feel all that different from the Cassiar 87 and the F95 didn't seem to do anything I didn't already have covered.

The old man has a set of Rossi Experience 94Ti sticks I can borrow at will, but they're 180s and I'm not excited about them. I can give it a shot, I suppose.

The problem set is that I love my Metals, but they're heavy-ish and seem to beat my knee up a little more than I like. I think it's the width when I'm on harder snow, but I can't confirm. My right knee seems to get annoyed when exposed to lost of twisty/torsional loads. I've never felt any pain on the Wailers, but I also rarely ski them on anything hard or at high speed.

When I look at what I've got, I think what I lack is something for those days when I'm skiing solo and want to put on the headphones, crank Volbeat, and set phasers to destroy. I don't necessarily need to plow through everything in my way, but I am looking for something ready to make GS-ish turns through variable conditions and inspire my confidence. I will trade "pop" and "liveliness" in this ski as I got that pretty covered everywhere else.

Finally, I am a cheap bastard. Not that I won't spend a higher dollar amount, but that I am allergic to paying full retail. I will chase used gear, go to swaps and hunt Craigslist for a deal. Clearance and I are best friends. Also, I have an affinity for smaller manufacturers. For example, the obvious answer to my problem is a Mantra. But I just don't like being just like everyone else.

Candidates thus far:
Kastle FX96 HP in 188. There are some deals on last year's ski out there. Question - worth it to try to wait for a deal on this year's sticks with metal?
Renoun Endurance 98 in 191. Vermonter Day might make this happen, but the discount will have to be more than just a little.
DPS Cassiar Foundation 94 in 193. I know a guy offloading a set of these who barely used them. But, didn't I just get rid of this ski for being too much like my other stuff?
DPS Powderworks Wailer 100 C2 in 184. Again, I know a like new set for sale but, same objections as the F94, and it's maybe short?
Stockli Stormrider 95 in 193. Might be perfect, but good luck finding a deal. Just suck it up? The idea of paying retail makes my skin burn.
J Masterblaster in 187. Too much like The Metals I already have?

What am I missing out on? I'm a patient man, I'll stalk the right ski for a deal for however long it takes, but it helps to know what I'm looking for.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
GS chargers suitable for crud 90-100 underfoot are some of the easiest skis to find on the used / new old stock market. Especially in sizes above 180cm.

Many of the skis you mention are probably more in the wide am skis which highlight versatility like your old dps rather than a crud blaster. I would use caution on sizes above 190cm as these skis can be unwieldy unless you are in wide open terrain with few obstacles. Getting a wide am ski in a 190cm length will not make it into something its not.

Also look at kastle mx98/99, salomon stance 96, Blizzard bonafide 97, Dynastar mpro 99,

TS
ELDoane

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Exiled from VT, trying to ski off the Capitol Dome
Also look at kastle mx98/99, salomon stance 96, Blizzard bonafide 97, Dynastar mpro 99,
The MX series was high on my radar for a while, but I was concerned with it being too unwieldy for the occasional foray into the bumps or trees between attempts to generate Superman world-reversing speeds. There are deals to be had from the MX 99 generation. You have any time on them? Any real differences between the 99 and the 98s?

Hadn't considered the M-pro. I'll keep an eye out.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Liberty Evolv 90 and Evolv 100 fit the bill. And last season’s models are on clearance.

https://libertyskis.com/collections/21-skis/products/2021-evolv100.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just bought a pair of the mx99 184cm last spring. I think they were about $600. Only a few days on them. They are very stable damp, gs oriented and smooth. The feel in transition is moderate, the tips are a bit softer than the tails which really like to finish a turn. The ski needs to be worked a bit.

I think it's ok for for bumps but not much in comparison to your dps c87. The ski really shines cruising GS to sg turn on open terrain from groomers to ungroomed chalky wind blown snow above treeline. Chutes, tight trees and more technical lines it's ok, but a tad unwieldy and slow to come around. Acceptable in open trees but there's better tree skis out there.

Have not skied the new 98, but word is they are more tweaks than large changes. A bit more accessible.

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
So never skied the ripstick black edition but the regular 96 was a great ski. The black model seems to have been incredibly popular this time around and in line with a lot of your goals. Finding one in stock will be tough (seen the 188 still floating around) but it‘s one I would probably look at given the knees comment.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Finally, I am a cheap bastard. Not that I won't spend a higher dollar amount, but that I am allergic to paying full retail. I will chase used gear, go to swaps and hunt Craigslist for a deal. Clearance and I are best friends. Also, I have an affinity for smaller manufacturers. For example, the obvious answer to my problem is a Mantra. But I just don't like being just like everyone else.
So, stop with the Augment recommendations. ;)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Why not Bent Chetler 100? Serious question. School me please.
I found the Bents to be a bit noodlely, at least at my weight. Maybe for a lighter skier.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Anybody know if this year's Evolv model is any different from last year?
The 2022 Evolv models are a bit different. The ‘22 have three vertical metal strips and I think the tail was changed a tad. I preferred the ‘21 model and bought a set of 90s.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anybody know if this year's Evolv model is any different from last year?
First of all, I love the way you write! A joy to read your post and the thread title caught my attention.

Here’s SkiTalk’s review on the 2020 Evolv 100:
And here’s SkiTalk’s review on the 2022 Evolv 100:

As you’ll see, it’s basically the same review because it’s basically the same ski. Read the comments below the 2022 review. I believe there were some subtle changes, but as @Philpug noted, it’s hard to tell without skiing both skis more.

EDIT: Oops! I missed @Drahtguy Kevin ’s post above. So it seems you could go for the 2021, or, the 2020 and be happy.

I got to test the 2022 Evolv 90w. Very similar ski, and I loved them. Maneuverable but highly stable. And they can carve as well as do everything their pilot asks them to. I was on them in my avatar photo.

Last edited:

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another vote for Liberty Evolves from me. Not a ton of rebound, but super smooth like butter. Easy all day, all mountain ski that loves to tip and rip.

Sponsor