• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

There's a 90-100mm sized hole in my heart

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The 2022 Evolv models are a bit different. The ‘22 have three vertical metal strips and I think the tail was changed a tad. I preferred the ‘21 model and bought a set of 90s.
What attributes make you prefer the older version?

TS
ELDoane

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Exiled from VT, trying to ski off the Capitol Dome
OK, the Evolv train is picking up some steam as it does appeal to the dealmeister heartstrings.

Anybody got a vote on the 2020 Elan Ripstick Black edition in 188 for this throwdown? The fellas at Pinnacle have one pair at 188 on sale for $525. The Evolv 100 is still a better deal and I am considering the 90s as well. Just a little concerned about potential overlap with my DPS C87s.

Ski shape nerds - flat tail vs. rocker: how big a difference does that make in stability at speed when bombing through manky conditions?

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What attributes make you prefer the older version?
A tad softer with 2 vertical metal strips instead of the 3 strips in the '22. The older model seemed a little more soft snow, trees, bumps oriented to me than the newest version. The changes are very, very subtle and I could be happy on either year. The savings are what swayed my decision the most. The Evolv90 is one of the best skis I've tested in the past few years for true versatility for how I ski and where I ski.

Last edited:

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, the Evolv train is picking up some steam as it does appeal to the dealmeister heartstrings.

Anybody got a vote on the 2020 Elan Ripstick Black edition in 188 for this throwdown? The fellas at Pinnacle have one pair at 188 on sale for $525. The Evolv 100 is still a better deal and I am considering the 90s as well. Just a little concerned about potential overlap with my DPS C87s.

Ski shape nerds - flat tail vs. rocker: how big a difference does that make in stability at speed when bombing through manky conditions?
I'm a flat tail fan in manky/crud/skied out conditions. They just track better. The Evolv tail is a work of genius. It's strong, stable, predictable and can be release when the urge strikes. Bombing through shit is kinda my SOP.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Bombing through shit is kinda my SOP.
My SOP is to work my way around shit. The Liberty Evolv 90s allow me to do that. Essentially, they are very versatile. The 100s are also really, really good at blowing through things and give you a great wide carve platform. I'd choose the 90s only because my knees get cranky after a day on wider boards.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Reading the op I understood the ask was a change from a versatile all rounder 9x to something more aggressive feel. Hence my recommendation.

But dont sell that kidney just yet. Quiver construction is more art than whatever. Personally I like to have clear differences between skis in my quiver. Others prefer variations on a theme and accept the resulting overlap as unavoidable.. The OP may need to decide which way to go first before selecting a 9x ski.

A quiver with a soft snow oriented 8x like dps cassiar, a charger 10x, and 11x tree ski like you have will lead to inherant overlap if you add a 9x ski. Any 9x ski.

Sidebar: There are inherant benefits to versatility in the 9x segment for travel skis as well.

If you want a versatile 9x ski then.... You may want think two steps ahead and consider also selling the dps cassiar to replace with a more piste focused 8x like a brahma to give more focus and change of pace from 8x to 9x.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Simplify.
Sell the Liberty V76 and the DPS Cassiar 87 and add in the cash you were going to spend on the missing 9x and get the Stockli AR in 182.
Done.

TS
ELDoane

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Simplify.
Sell the Liberty V76 and the DPS Cassiar 87 and add in the cash you were going to spend on the missing 9x and get the Stöckli AR in 182.
Done.
It's an option, but I have a restraining order against joining cults that doesn't expire for another 2 years.

I kid! I kid! I butter up the local Stöckli rep every year at the Cochran's swap but no love yet. Also, I know I won't possibly have a problem, but there's some deep seated part of me that needs therapy that can't imagine skiing a 182 every day. It took an intervention and high doses of Xanax to get the old 210s out of my hands...

It would make for a hell of a three ski quiver, though.

TS
ELDoane

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Reading the op I understood the ask was a change from a versatile all rounder 9x to something more aggressive feel. Hence my recommendation.

A quiver with a soft snow oriented 8x like dps cassiar, a charger 10x, and 11x tree ski like you have will lead to inherant overlap if you add a 9x ski. Any 9x ski.
You read me right. I'm with you on quiver building, I want different feels as much as different performance. It's a little why I am hesitant to grab the Evolv for fear it'll feel a lot like the V76 and play the same notes.

It's like my mix tape has a hole in it.
Track 1 - Super carvy "pop" track for goofing around making race car noises while I try to carve a full circle and get stinkeye from the patrol guys. Taylor Swift and Beyonce start laying trenches down the mountain.
Track 2 - Classic Rock groove track for bonking off moguls, little side hits of trees, zooming groomers and mellow fun. The Allman Brothers decide to have a jam session down National.
Track 3 - Slash and Burn! Turn it to 11 and take no prisoners. The metal gods demand figure 11s and mach-schnell turns!
Track 4 - Big Pimpin' and Spending Cheese. Go stomp, slarve, and vandalize the soft stuff. Jay-Z says Send It!
Track 5 - We Jammin'. Let's get into the trees and the deep and flow with it. Bob Marley digs the skin track.

I am trying to figure out track 3. So, I suppose there's going to be some overlap with the other tracks, but I want it to have it's own feel.

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A tad softer with 2 vertical metal strips instead of the 3 strips in the '22. The older model seemed a little more soft snow, trees, bumps oriented to me than the newest version. The changes are very, very subtle and I could be happy on either year. The savings are what swayed my decision the most. The Evolv90 is one of the best skis I've tested in the past few years for true versatility for how I ski and where I ski.
Thanks. I knew about the VMT 3.0, but hadn't heard of changes to the tail. I was thinking for me (230+ lbs), the VMT 3.0 might be a good thing. The reason I ask is I have last years 100's but with demo bindings, and I was thinking of selling them to buy another pair and mount with conventional bindings. Probably Tyrolia Attack 14 or 17.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. I knew about the VMT 3.0, but hadn't heard of changes to the tail. I was thinking for me (230+ lbs), the VMT 3.0 might be a good thing. The reason I ask is I have last years 100's but with demo bindings, and I was thinking of selling them to buy another pair and mount with conventional bindings. Probably Tyrolia Attack 14 or 17.
I think 100s with a low stand height binding would be easier on the knees than a demo binding. You could always just sell the demo bindings and redrill the current skis.

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think 100s with a low stand height binding would be easier on the knees than a demo binding. You could always just sell the demo bindings and redrill the current skis.
Probably. I didn't have any knee issues when I was using them, but I am not getting any younger. I thought about redrilling too, but I can get the old 100's and a pair of bindings at a price low enough that I could probably just sell my current pair and buy a new pair plus binding for the same amount of money. Either option is fine though, because mine are in like-new condition. I wonder what the market is for a pair of used Attack 13 demos?

TS
ELDoane

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Ok, so maybe width is less important here? I got a line on a screaming deal on an Atomic Vantage 107 ti. Anybody ski it? Is it going to ski differently from The Metal? Or too similar?

I know, I know. Just buy the damn Evolv 90 already. Or sell the kidney.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
MC cooking on "lesser skis" like a blizzi rustler. Very interesting. Maybe ots the skier and not the ski... ;)

TS
ELDoane

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
MC cooking on "lesser skis" like a blizzi rustler. Very interesting. Maybe ots the skier and not the ski... ;)
Ha! Busted. I do overthink this stuff. In the days of my youth I skied everything on a 210 with a 63mm waist.

Sponsor

Staff online