• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

eBike Things I've learned quickly as a noob eMTBer

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep, I'm all in. My last bike was an early 1990s Specialized Rock Hopper with a few mods that really never got used much to begin with. I hadn't been on a bike for probably 15 years, longer than I hadn't been on skis before getting (thankfully) sucked back into the sport. Road riding around Reno just seems suicidal. Mountain biking made more sense since there's a ton of fantastic riding in and around the Reno/Tahoe/Truckee area. Ah, but being lazy, the though of pedaling was unattractive. Then they did it: @Philpug and @Tricia let me use Tricia's eMTB. Game over. I can do this! So I'm in a massive learning curve but enjoying it. A few things I've found in the first hundred or so miles:

-You bleed more when falling while riding than skiing. I have fallen/tipped over more in 6 or 7 rides than I did in 85 days of skiing this season.
-It's not the tires, it's the operator. Don't blame the equipment until you figure out how to make good use of it.
-Just like on a motorcycle, a little too much front brake is too much front brake.
-5 miles is a long way to push a 50# bike with a flat tire.
-Don't dry out your hydration bladder outside with the big lid open when the maple trees are shedding their seeds.
-You have a small pack, put useful stuff in it.
-Padded shorts liners are awesome.
-The e on an eMTB times out after sitting for a while and the next hill feels like you're pedaling a 50# bike up a hill...because you are.
-No matter what anyone says you still have to work for your ride. Sweat is sweat.
-There's an unending aftermarket for bikes. More so than skis. I want orange pedals and grips to match my helmet!:golfclap:
-Stay at the bottom of the track in a banked/bermed turn; the inside slopes to the outside and down and that's the way you'll slide. Especially with a little too much front brake.:geek:
-Dropper posts are the schizz.
-Why didn't I do this sooner?
20210530_110910.jpg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Dropper posts are the best thing ever! I seriously don't know how I navigated downhill switchbacks, or downhill rock gardens, without one.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have no idea how you rode the first few times without padded shorts. My sitbones were sore with padded shorts!

Now to go with your orange pedals and grips....

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 1.48.35 PM.png

Bling it like I did.
Heck, you can even bling the rear shock.
Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 1.44.26 PM.png

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have no idea how you rode the first few times without padded shorts. My sitbones were sore with padded shorts!

Now to go with your orange pedals and grips....

View attachment 135474
Bling it like I did.
Heck, you can even bling the rear shock.
View attachment 135475
I can't help but think THEY should pay US to advertise for THEM!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I can't help but think THEY should pay US to advertise for THEM!
The custom color stickers weren't too bad but the shipping was a bit stupid

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I thought by padded shorts you meant the ones that protect you from falls

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The custom color stickers weren't too bad but the shipping was a bit stupid
Wait til you start with the little bits like valve stems and chainring bolts.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I will add: speed is always your friend....right up until it becomes your enemy. :geek:

-Stay at the bottom of the track in a banked/bermed turn; the inside slopes to the outside and down and that's the way you'll slide. Especially with a little too much front brake.

Your view on this will change markedly, once your speed increases. ;)

Also, all your braking will be complete once you enter the actual bermed corner, starting NOW!

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I will add: speed is always your friend....right up until it becomes your enemy. :geek:

Also, all your braking will be complete once you enter the actual bermed corner, starting NOW!
I should qualify that: if your not up on the berm don't be on the inside.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, the way I think about the braking thing is: front for speed control; rear for line control. Another angle is: Front is coarse tuning (left of the decimal); rear is fine tuning (right of the decimal).

Edit: But MUCH more importantly: let the bike roll.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah, the way I think about the braking thing is: front for speed control; rear for line control. Another angle is: Front is coarse tuning (left of the decimal); rear is fine tuning (right of the decimal).

I remember practicing rolling stoppies on motorcycles back in the day..so we approached this group of people and my buddy decided we should do rolling stoppies like the heroes we were.. I couldn't manage it so I decided to do a regular stoppie..my buddy did the rolling stoppie that became a regular stoppie but he went just a bitttttt too far..and...Superman! :ogbiggrin: So yes, let the bike roll!!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

I wish most would let the bike roll/brake more smoothly and well in advance of a corner. Brake bumps suck!

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You forgot rule number 1: look where you want to go.
I learned that years ago while riding motorcycles. It's amazing how much better things go when you do that instead of looking at what you want to miss.