• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

eBike Things I've learned quickly as a noob eMTBer

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I will never have that issue unless I catch some surprise air. I'm just not likely to jump or take the big drops like Andy. Not my comfort zone.
In other words, you are smarter than thatogsmile
And, I don't have @Andy Mink's testicular fortitude. ;)
@Wending and I talk about this all the time. Everyone makes conscious or unconscious choices about risk vs. reward. The older we get the more conscious and conservative they become. I think that's pretty common. The rewards of high speeds and big air - to the extent that we even have the skills for those things - come to seem more overbalanced by the risks each year, as our healing time and susceptibility to complications increase. It just happens.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The older we get the more conscious and conservative they become.
You'd think. :ogbiggrin: In this bike endeavor thing I seem to have check some common sense at the door. Not all of it, but some. Honestly, after doing the drops in the Drop Zone, I'm more comfortable with that than some of more technical (to me) trail sections I've ridden. All you have to do is ride off the end.:bikewheelie:

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You'd think. :ogbiggrin: In this bike endeavor thing I seem to have check some common sense at the door. Not all of it, but some. Honestly, after doing the drops in the Drop Zone, I'm more comfortable with that than some of more technical (to me) trail sections I've ridden. All you have to do is ride off the end.:bikewheelie:
This is a pretty interesting observation (to me). It's interesting because I think it reflects different "apprenticeships" in MTB. Around here there is essentially no singletrack riding that would be considered "non-technical" in many areas of the country. So if you go on a half-dozen rides you've either achieved a certain amount of mastery of rocks, roots, stumps, and mud or you've given up and gone back to tennis. Certainly this was true 20 years ago when I first started riding MTB. (There are starting to be some machine-built trails around here that are not all rocks and roots.) Conversely, you could and still can ride more or less indefinitely and never have to get comfortable with jumps. There WERE jumps, but they were, you know, integrated into all the rocks and roots, so you had to be able to cope with BOTH. There were no "man-made" jumps with nice smooth open landings. Anyway, because of all this it's only recently that I've started enjoying the air time. "Riding off the end" still gives me pause, yet I can ride through rock gardens more or less in my sleep.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It comes down to visualization for me. When I am skiing, I visualize what will go right, when I am mountain biking, I visualized what can go wrong and that usually includes getting tangled in a mass ot metal and rubber and/or tumbling down a field of jagged rocks.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am aware that my skill set is limited and part of the reason I try things is so I can get better. I'm also really cognizant that I have only about 6 weeks under my tires (and a few minutes over my tires!) and I have seen such a small sample of what's out there. That said...
210580656_4436168989740899_1540694498049156038_n.jpg

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is a pretty interesting observation (to me). It's interesting because I think it reflects different "apprenticeships" in MTB. Around here there is essentially no singletrack riding that would be considered "non-technical" in many areas of the country. So if you go on a half-dozen rides you've either achieved a certain amount of mastery of rocks, roots, stumps, and mud or you've given up and gone back to tennis. Certainly this was true 20 years ago when I first started riding MTB. (There are starting to be some machine-built trails around here that are not all rocks and roots.) Conversely, you could and still can ride more or less indefinitely and never have to get comfortable with jumps. There WERE jumps, but they were, you know, integrated into all the rocks and roots, so you had to be able to cope with BOTH. There were no "man-made" jumps with nice smooth open landings. Anyway, because of all this it's only recently that I've started enjoying the air time. "Riding off the end" still gives me pause, yet I can ride through rock gardens more or less in my sleep.
This is a trail at the riding venue 10 minutes from my house:

O_Trail.jpg

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This is a trail at the riding venue 10 minutes from my house:

View attachment 137005
That's something I used to run through as a kid growing up in NEPA. Nothing remotely like that where I'm at now. It really does blow me away when I see a really good rider booking down through the rocks and trees. There are certainly a lot of parallels between riding and skiing depending on where you are and with what you're most familiar.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Again, it falls under my dad's question: Are you brave or stupid? The end result can be the same.
I may be wrong, in which case you'll correct me, but I get the feeling that the surprise air you got in the drop zone the first time you caught air was a courage builder that...."Hey I didn't die, so maybe I can do more."

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I may be wrong, in which case you'll correct me, but I get the feeling that the surprise air you got in the drop zone the first time you caught air was a courage builder that...."Hey I didn't die, so maybe I can do more."
Could be. Though I haven't died while crashing either but I don't want to do it again!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Could be. Though I haven't died while crashing either but I don't want to do it again!
Well....you didn't crash when you caught the suprise air.
I remember your reaction to this surprise air on the #2 progression drop. You clearly didn't intend to catch even a little air, and then you got hungry.
June 3rd
B30623B7-0816-4956-A667-7655E1E1E39B.JPG

Then June 21, while riding with Laura, you went bigger on #2
AAAAF40F-9DF1-4032-A8FE-2D88F0E9D8B4.JPG

and said...I think I can do #3!
and you did!
A793EC67-22BD-471C-8D34-0AF66C2D80CC.JPG

9E40916D-530E-4ED3-996D-BFFF42412D14.JPG

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Quad-Lock system is pretty darn good.
Agree. I use one on my road bike. I just know on the MTB that it's only a matter of time before the whole front end of the bike goes sailing into a log or something (hopefully without me still on it).

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It will be interesting to see how long that bar-mounted smartphone lasts.
I dumped the bike last week, pretty hard. The phone did come off but was undamaged in the Quadlock case. The Kiox computer that runs the motor also came off its mount. I had to poke around the bushes to find it. Thinking back, I should have used my older phone for riding.