• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Things you wish someone had told you before your first day in the backcountry

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Once you get into more challenging terrain, learn how to put your skis on when it's steep. Lots of videos on YouTube. Also how to transition from and to crampons when it's steep.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
You will get used to skiing with a backpack. Mine is always about 20 lbs plus 2 of water, and i don't feel it anymore anymore
My is not lightest either, especially considering I'm always going with avi backpack (Scott E1 40L nowadays), regardless how safe or "safe" it is (something I decided long time ago and not changing my mind about this). Most of time there are also crampons and ice axes in/on it, so yeah not light one. It doesn't bother me at all and I don't really feel weight, but you can actually feel weight when you take it off and try same climb without backpack. Only then you notice how much faster you are, and how much that weight really matters. But as I'm not racing, few extra minutes on climb means, I'm out enjoying snow, sun (or snow storm :D) a bit longer, so it's just plus :D

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My is not lightest either, especially considering I'm always going with avi backpack (Scott E1 40L nowadays), regardless how safe or "safe" it is (something I decided long time ago and not changing my mind about this). Most of time there are also crampons and ice axes in/on it, so yeah not light one. It doesn't bother me at all and I don't really feel weight, but you can actually feel weight when you take it off and try same climb without backpack. Only then you notice how much faster you are, and how much that weight really matters. But as I'm not racing, few extra minutes on climb means, I'm out enjoying snow, sun (or snow storm :D) a bit longer, so it's just plus :D
I noticed that I'm a lot faster when i hike in the summer, no backpack, no skis, no boots

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Get a mentor.

Find somebody that has experience in the BC that is willing to take you under their wing. This payed dividends for years to me, probably even saved my life. They will help you to develop a "gut feel" in the mountains. Trust your gut, but verify with a snow pit.

Advice that was given to me as a young man by my mentor; "There are old backcountry skiers, and there are bold backcountry skiers, but there are no old, bold backcountry skiers." Simply put, dial it back a notch in the BC, rescue is a long way off if needed. If you get hurt, it is not just you in danger, it is your partners as well. Probably more important that your son hears this than you, but words to live by nonetheless.

Learn to adjust your pack on the fly. You can shift weight on and off your hips with the shoulder straps. Get in the habit of tightening those straps before the descent to pull the weight closer to your body. Practice this on dry land, and it will become second nature.

Pack a little extra food and water. Also thrown in a space blanket in each pack. You never know when you might have to be out there longer than expected (see old/bold comment above).

Make sure you look up when going up. It is easy to just follow the skin track and trudge along. But do you look at your skis the whole time you are on a chair lift? Enjoy the views!

Have a great time, BC skiing is the best!

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What i see often in the bc, is that people

Don't have a warm enough emergency layer, so no a nano puffy won't be enough if you're hurt and have to wait a few hours.

No tools

No emergency medical kit.

No ski crampons

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As a lightweight skier, I'm still not use to the weight after a decade and end up in the backseat with my pack despite being a competent resort skier. So I just try to accept it as the fact of life.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As a lightweight skier, I'm still not use to the weight after a decade and end up in the backseat with my pack despite being a competent resort skier. So I just try to accept it as the fact of life.
I’ve worn a pack for backcountry and a heavy vest for patrol so much that when I free ski without anything on my back I tend to pitch over on my nose. The tele bindings don’t help.

I’m just kidding. :ogcool:

Sponsor

Staff online