• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Thinking about a gravel bike

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Domane would be a nice workhorse for on-road riding there, with the ability to handle repeated punchy climbs. But off-road not so much.

Personally, not wanting an even road-ish bike to be great on more rugged trails.

In the grand tradition of Ski Talk, I advocate for a quiver of bikes! :ogbiggrin:

And, if that isn't an option, two sets of wheels/tires.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
For me, it's mostly paved and then this happens to get to your destination... So this is what I'm trying to make work.
3000 Chetwynd Rd

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Personally, not wanting an even road-ish bike to be great on more rugged trails.

In the grand tradition of Ski Talk, I advocate for a quiver of bikes! :ogbiggrin:

And, if that isn't an option, two sets of wheels/tires.

We're in total agreement - I kind of like the idea of a budget Domane / Cobia stable with wheels/tires.

Covers most of everything except real rock garden riding. NJ gran fondo? No problem! Manayunk wall? Okies, bring legs. Pop up to NY and ride 5Boros or Old Croton Aqueduct? Sure.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
And ultimately I wanted to just get rid of the old xc geo MTB which I used as my road bike for years, and get a new slacker HT for more typical off road stuff. No sense to me trying to ride a graveller on drops.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Yeah, I personally have no desire to use a gravel bike on anything harsher than a rail trail like the D&L. A hardtail mountain bike works well there for XC riding.
The Checkpoint will make some of the "XC trails" more interesting than a hard tail mountain bike. To each their own.

Like ski quivers, it 'breed' from 1 to more. So the first one is important. It it's not fun, there will be no more.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I'm just flipping tires. 25 or 28 in the city, 35 up north. Done.
Depends on rider weight. I'm relatively light and no risk of pinch flat. So I don't even bother with changing tire SIZE. I just pick a good compromise that's still light on pavement but cushy on trails.

I do have two sets of wheels. But the tires are quite different. One is almost slick and other semi-aggressive knobs.

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ha I climbed the Wall a bunch of times in my youth. Grew up in that area and one summer while on college break me and a buddy decided to do a ride to the NJ Shore from Philly, I bought a beater road bike and did the Kelly Drive loop plus the Wall every day for two months getting ready for the long ride. Would sometimes run it for training in HS. That was in my more fit rowing days and the only way I’m getting up that now is driving. ogsmile

@Shawn nit the nail on the head. I’m probably not going to do anything more that challenging that a rail trail on this bike. If my interest grows then I’ll probably be back here asking about getting my hard tail back and shape or adding another bike and starting a quiver. God knows this place is full of enablers when it comes to spending money… my ski quiver is a testament to that! :D

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Ha I climbed the Wall a bunch of times in my youth. Grew up in that area and one summer while on college break me and a buddy decided to do a ride to the NJ Shore from Philly, I bought a beater road bike and did the Kelly Drive loop plus the Wall every day for two months getting ready for the long ride. Would sometimes run it for training in HS. That was in my more fit rowing days and the only way I’m getting up that now is driving. ogsmile

You say that, but just wait until you get some miles in the legs :D

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
@mikes781 In a few weeks they're closing the loop until like 2028 or beyond. The MLK and Kelly Drive trails are still open but the bridges will be closed. First on the MLK bridge and then when that's done they're closing the Falls bridge closer to Manayunk to work on that. Bummed. I skate that loop summer nights after dropping the wife off at work.
I just noticed that I haven't skated the D&L. You interested?
It's gravel except for a short part west of Easton.

I was thinking about getting a few people together for the W&OD for spring: full-length, 100 mile out-and-back into DC. I skate pretty slowly at 11.5-12 mph so you might want to bring a book or something. Might be exciting regardless with all the people dodging, intersections, hills, narrowness of the trail, etc.

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@mikes781 In a few weeks they're closing the loop until like 2028 or beyond. The MLK and Kelly Drive trails are still open but the bridges will be closed. First on the MLK bridge and then when that's done they're closing the Falls bridge closer to Manayunk to work on that. Bummed. I skate that loop summer nights after dropping the wife off at work.

Before we moved to NJ my wife and I lived in Bala Cynwyd and used to skate MLK Drive every weekend. That and Wissahickon park are nice little jems in Philly. I guess you can’t do the loop while they work on the bridges but are they closing the road down to all traffic like they do in the weekends?

Last edited:

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Before we moved to NJ my wife and I lived in Bala Cynwyd and used to skate MLK Drive every weekend. That and Wissahickon park are nice little hems in Philly. I guess you can’t do the loop while they work on the bridges but are they closing the road down to all traffic like they do in the weekends?
The trails will still be open. So it'll be like a horseshoe-shaped out-and-back. Not sure if they're closing MLK Drive again to traffic, but they did last year on weekends, which was nice.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
@crosscountry likes a more comfortable, upright position on the bike; he's not one to "put the bar down."*

*Very meta joke.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Delay gratification and try stuff. Look into the differences of a higher vs lower stack and top tube lengths. The comment that AL can ride is in part true but for carry and long-term the treaded fittings of a steel and ti frame can be better.

1x simplicity is great but 2x can make a lot of sense for some riding. It is a matter of range and narrower splits between gears. Along with the drive train and tire diversity that is fantastic there are bikes more towards racer and tourer. Know those differences and get what's right for you.

We've had and still have a few in this category. Budgets have been modest through my Route 45 (Moots). It was initial shock but no regrets on the Moots. My wife's favorite is more an off road tourer and it moves great on pavement with the right tires.

Frame bags are best friends.

One more. Differences in ti are more than one might think. Lots are OEM tube sets. Moots has several diameters, sleeves butting. You get the magic ride with more performance and something you can absolutely beat on that lasts and cleans up well. My prior steel frame also put up with about anything.

2NWT9jo.jpg
Another vote for steel frames. Best ride ( less fatiguing) .durable

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:D Yes, you will never be more fit than your rowing days. None of us will .8’s?
I’d probably die if I tried to do one of those workout routines now. I still have my C2 though it’s collecting dust for the last 2 years. Need to work it back in with the indoor biking at some point. Asking if I raced in 8’s? Yes in HS and college. Mostly 7 seat, stroke and 5. Did also race fours and pairs a bit during summer club season. Did you row also?

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’d probably die if I tried to do one of those workout routines now. I still have my C2 though it’s collecting dust for the last 2 years. Need to work it back in with the indoor biking at some point. Asking if I raced in 8’s? Yes in HS and college. Mostly 7 seat, stroke and 5. Did also race fours and pairs a bit during summer club season. Did you row also?
Pairs , briefly -but I somehow seemed to constantly be surrounded by crew guys and serious cyclists for years.
While I ran a couple of marathons, I didn’t have enough of the masochistic streak to be a real serious rower. :roflmao:

Sponsor