• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Thinking about a gravel bike

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I also rode a Giant, Specialized and one other smaller brand that I can’t remember the name this weekend. Went back to the first shop that I visited last week and got on the Topstone. I’m down to the Topstone Carbon 3 and Checkpoint SL 5. I did feel a little more upright on the Topstone but slightly preferred being more stretched out on the Checkpoint. They are pretty much have the same components.

The Topstone dealer has also been my favorite shop to deal with. The employee spent a lot of time with me on my first visit well past closing even though I kept telling him that I could come back and not hold him up. Met the owner this morning and he was just as helpful. He did think that the Checkpoint could be easily tweaked if I needed something more upright down the road. They are going to get the sale it’s just a question of which bike now, I don’t think I can go wrong with either and I’m leaning Checkpoint. Outside of how it felt, the cabling seemed a little cleaner and I preferred both of the colors offered for it.

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd say checkpoint it is..
Yep it’s going to be the Checkpoint SL 5. Think I’d be happy with either of them. Just need to decide on the color… bright red or grey. Red is faster right? ogsmile Started looking for pedals tonight and lots more choices. I currently have clipless and am going am going to look for a dual platform.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Dad joke level 100 there

btw are shops negotiating on price at this point or is it hers the price?
Typically, even historically, they won't go much in the bike price. Typically markup on bikes is 40%. After storage, interest and assembly, they don't make much. They'll try to steer you into accessories because they make 100% on those. So if you intend to buy stuff they will be happier to give you a break on those.

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks that is what I suspected.

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Was thinking I wanted to have the option to wear street shoes if I was going to just take a casual ride with my family. After looking the past few days I’m not seeing a lot of options. Maybe just an SPD pedal with a bigger platform would work?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Was thinking I wanted to have the option to wear street shoes if I was going to just take a casual ride with my family. After looking the past few days I’m not seeing a lot of options. Maybe just an SPD pedal with a bigger platform would work?

You can always just use a clip-in flat adapter with a regular SPD.

But as far as flats go - what kind do you want? Block? Pin? Bear cage?

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Now if I had your bike and really wanted to trigger some people, a nice purple ano MKS XC-iii might do it:

Sponsor

Staff online