• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Thinking about a Roomba

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
could just be my aggressive security software. But it clearly doesn't like the Shark Clearance Shop. Just wanted to alert anyone from clicking on that link in case...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
could just be my aggressive security software. But it clearly doesn't like the Shark Clearance Shop. Just wanted to alert anyone from clicking on that link in case...
But I don't see that link anywhere... it hasn't been posted. I wonder if it's in an ad that's coming up just for you?

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, we've had our Roomba (extremely unoriginally called Rosey after the Jetsons) for 27 days. I was berated by my wife for getting it as "we have a vacuum cleaner" (a Dyson). My point was that said Dyson was used far far less than optimal and involved effort. A self-emptying Roomba with on-board software mapping struck me as a way to achieve much more consistent vacuuming since the robot doesn't give a <beep> about boredom, effort, etc. Well, 4 weeks in there has clearly been a change of heart by my wife, although discretion being the better part of valor, I have not asked for specific confirmation (so how do I know? I told her when I got it that it could be returned through Jan 9 and kept the box etc. I have made occasional comments about how much time is left until we have to return it, and been told not to be silly). Our carpets are cleaner than ever and are done way more consistently. Hence my feeling is that the purchase was entirely worthwhile to make life more pleasant. Frankly, I wish we'd got it earlier ...

On a slightly different note, when I saw the maps of e.g. Phil & Tricia's home and others I thought "Wow, what avant-garde floor plans they all have", comparing same to my basically rather oblong-esque home with occasional indents etc. It was only after I saw the map from Rosey that I realized that the furniture is being excluded and thereby makes the floor plans look really odd ... ogsmile

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would so love to get one of these. Of my known idiosyncrasies, a Roomba would address more than a few. But I have a cat that occasionally lays out about 5-6 food purges in one session in various places around the house. It only happens maybe once a month but I can imagine the results with a Roomba.

I‘m going to have to hold off until they come with a vomit avoidance system.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I‘m going to have to hold off until they come with a vomit avoidance system.
They have. Unfortunately, it's possibly the most expensive Roomba, perhaps due to the extra AI involved. It's the j7, with the j7+ being the self-emptying version. Perhaps Black Friday will have some deals on it?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They have. Unfortunately, it's possibly the most expensive Roomba, perhaps due to the extra AI involved. It's the j7, with the j7+ being the self-emptying version. Perhaps Black Friday will have some deals on it?
I was hoping for a response like this. I’ll check it out. Vacuuming is a simple thing until it turns into a robot whereupon it seems to become loaded with complexity.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ah, you guys just missed the big Roomba sale.
It just ended and was from 11/1-11/15 (?) and $150 off the j7($649->$499) j7+ ($849->$699). Plus a couple % back from affliate shopping cashback if you are into that thing.
Similar big discounts also on other roomba products too.

It was pretty widely available from irobot.com direct, and all your favorite big retailers: amazon, bestbuy, bedbathandbeyond, target, walmart. They all had it at sale pricing.
If you did any web searches for a roomba; I would expected Big Google would've targetted ads to you! Oh well I didn't know people were looking for the sale otherwise I would've PSAed.

Maybe it will come back from Black Friday, since they were willing to sell it already at $150 off; but my gut feeling is maybe they won't dump it again so soon after such a major sale. :huh:

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just when I tried to scroll past it on my phone. Never tried to open the link. My laptop/desktop doesn't seem to mind it and I have Trend Micro on both. Go figure. Technology - ugh.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just when I tried to scroll past it on my phone. Never tried to open the link. My laptop/desktop doesn't seem to mind it and I have Trend Micro on both. Go figure. Technology - ugh.
dang,

My apologies as I think this site was bogus as your security software identified. I thought I removed it or noted it but hadn't.

If a moderator wishes to dump this link, it would be good.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Have become so disconnected from society in some ordinary ways since retiring 4+ years ago, no daily newspapers, not on any social media since rise of smartphones, that seeing this thread had to look up what a Roomba is haha. Then last week after having annoying issues vacuuming with a beat up noisy 2 decade old Eureka floor model, my 4plex 2 story 2 bdrm residence, thought it was time to see what is new. Not like money is an issue, just if tools/appliances work, I don't mind old. Worst issue was there was quite a bit of micro dust that passes through all the filtering. Have like old small 12vdc car vacuum and a corded SuperShark portable both are noisy dust spewing jokes. Roomba would not work as I have little open floor space.

So not familiar with the new era vacuum world looked at web reviews of all manner of products. Bought at 30% off this Tineco PWRHERO 11 Cordless Vacuum and have been surprised how much better it is in all ways. A stick vacuum style with detachable sections for portability. Runs amazingly quiet off a chargeable 2500ma/hr lithium battery and actually has more suction power than my old Eureka with 3 times the motor wattage. But then many modern consumer products given market demands for better designs and materials science have been greatly advancing. Already used it yesterday a bit in all ways.

This morning will attack my grubby Forester interior and then all manner of awkward to clean indoor areas.

1630623165017015060.jpg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cordless makes using it for minor cleans an intrinsic automatic go to after a week or two. I have an old Dyson I built a hanging board for, makes for a quick grab, use, and store.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
fyi roomba j7 back on sale at $200 off direct at irobot as well as most major retailers until xmas.
also 10% cash back from affiliate link thst starts with r.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Update on Dusty Broomstedo:
A few weeks ago I started getting an error code. "Drop off detected. Please move Dusty to a safe place and press clean"

There was no drop off.

I went through a bunch of troubleshooting including resetting the factory settings, but still no luck.
They sent me a new Roomba, (not the tower, just the vacuum itself, which is currently mapping my upstairs area)
I can't make him take on the oldname or settings, so we have a new name and he's doing his thing.

@Stephen is here and named him for me.
Dustydoesdirty

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dark patches in the rug can produce drop off worries.
It wasn't dark patches. I spent a few hours on the phone with customer service going through several troubleshooting things with them.

The new one is doing fine with no cliff issues.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Update on Dusty Broomstedo:
A few weeks ago I started getting an error code. "Drop off detected. Please move Dusty to a safe place and press clean"

There was no drop off.

I went through a bunch of troubleshooting including resetting the factory settings, but still no luck.
They sent me a new Roomba, (not the tower, just the vacuum itself, which is currently mapping my upstairs area)
I can't make him take on the oldname or settings, so we have a new name and he's doing his thing.

@Stephen is here and named him for me.
Dustydoesdirty
There was supposedly a way to backup your old maps before doing a factory reset. Too late now, I guess.