• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Thinking to work as a part time instructor on weekends

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
So I hear a lot about minimum days, minimum hours in a season, etc.

I went a bit different tact and ask my instructors to commit to one portion of a weekend day as a minimum. We only offer lessons on weekends and holidays so I ask that instructors commit to either Saturday morning or afternoon or Sunday morning.
We do clinics from 8:15-10:00 before lessons start and instructors are paid for this training.
A 9-2:00 schedule would work at my mountain and you would likely be assigned to a seasonal group from 10:00-11:30 and then a 1 hour “walk in” from 12:00-1:00.
Well look at that. Nice. What mountain?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
A minimum of 10 days seems like an amazing deal. I don't know anywhere in Utah where it is that low. I'd jump on that deal if it was offered in Utah.
That is pretty typical in PSIA RM. Vail may have upped their hours based on what some of my colleagues at Beaver Creek told me.

However my guess is that everyone is stretched so thin on stafing that you have a lot of leverage if yiou can put a sentance together, and have some mastery of personal hygiene.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
With no experience there is a good likelihood they will want you to do pre season dry land and classroom training. The applicant pays for the training in advance. It was twice a week for 6 weeks when I did it.. and they didn't hire everyone at the end of it... and if you didn't get hired you didn't get the fees back. I got mine back :) Fun job, good times..

If the ski area is near a metropolis, the competition will be stiff. If you live near a remote resort, your odds are much better.

Nah. Typical on-boarding for a newbie is 4 days. 20 years ago paying for your training was a thing. I haven't seen that in PSIA RM, NRM, PNW or W.

Tartegnin

Booting up
Skier
Here is a link concerning this issue. I dont know the outcome, any insight from current employees? I dont understand how you could get away with not paying people to show for the line up. If its required, then its a condition for employment, I would think. I am not a lawyer, so I am sure there is a loophole that I dont know about.

Beaver Creek workers sue Vail Resorts in wage dispute
Vail now pays for line up, getting gear on/off, mandatory training (online and on snow) and even for reading certain communications. And, of course, for actual hours taught. It’s pretty fair. Not to mention usual benefits like free passes for self and family and free non mandatory clinics - some focused on ski skills and others on teaching skills or PSIA cert prep.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
True. Except it seems most who work at a resort on this forum tend to be instructors for whatever reason. But yeah, would be great to hear perspective from people why they prefer mountain ops to ski school employment. Which brings up another point. Demographically this site seems to skew a bit older. Similarly, there is definitely average age differences between ski school and mountain ops as well with younger folks preferring ops over ski school for whatever reason.

Simple.. regular 8 hour shifts, 40 hours a week minimum if you're looking for regular hours especially at a non destination resort. Lift ops to lift maintainance adds the possibility of year round employment.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Be a coach instead. Work with the younger or youngest. The head coach will help you with lessons and the kids will try to learn. They get better fast on a ski team. My friend works with the young ones and really enjoys it. He is a good skier and he has the x-factor for teaching.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Vail now pays for line up,
Finally!

Which of course is less of an issue now that there's no enough instructors to go around. So line up and actual teaching hours are probably synonymous.

usual benefits like free passes for self and family
That used to be a big perk. But with Vail dropping the pass price lower and lower, the same perk loses value along the way.

And for those who's "family" isn't around (grown children), 1 or 2 pass max.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Vail now pays for line up, getting gear on/off, mandatory training (online and on snow) and even for reading certain communications.
Isn't that the law in every state? Any required activity that benefits the employer, and all those listed do (not sure about gear on/off), must be paid at no less than minimum wage.

Part timers know that they're mainly working for the pass. Whatever pay they earn may cover gas costs to get to the hill. The training might be a benefit as well as the comradery of being with the other instructors and the pleasure of imparting ski knowledge to the students.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Isn't that the law in every state?

I’d really like an attorney to weigh in on this one. I know of a few ski areas where line-up is a no pay thing. Those instructors subjected to this, as a group, need to grow a spine.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I’d really like an attorney to weigh in on this one. I know of a few ski areas where line-up is a no pay thing. Those instructors subjected to this, as a group, need to grow a spine.
A lot of the time, rookie instructors don't know about such law.

Regardless, part timers aren't there for the money anyway. So don't expect them to make a fuss about the pay structure.

It's up to the ski school directors and the state labor department to see to it the laws are being followed

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
A lot of the time, rookie instructors don't know about such law.

Regardless, part timers aren't there for the money anyway. So don't expect them to make a fuss about the pay structure.

It's up to the ski school directors and the state labor department to see to it the laws are being followed

Like OSHA, which is a powerful tool for area employees to compel a safer work environment, the state labor department won’t know about the infraction unless it is reported.

Those instructors that are not being paid for line up need to investigate a class action law suit against the ski area, if indeed it an infraction is occurring.

ijetwatson

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
@tube77, you need to get in touch with the Ski School director at the mountain where you want to teach. All your questions will be answered. But sometimes it's difficult to get in touch with ski schools until close to opening. Where are you and what mountain is this?

The ski school will need instructors for times when the crowds are big and the instructor staffing is lacking. You'll be hired to teach at those times, not necessarily when you want to teach.

That said, weekends are pretty much a sure thing. Also holidays - instructors will be needed for Christmas-New Years week, MLK weekend, President's week and the weekends before and after, for school vacation weeks in your area, and so on.

To get the job you may need to make a commitment to teach X number of holiday days, and Y number of other days. This total can be 25 or 40 or more total days. You may have choices on how to get to X+Y days. That depends on how the ski school director assigns workdays.

As a part-timer, you may be assigned to line-up, or to the kid's program if it's still running given the issues associated with Covid. Line-up means you line up each time lessons begin and wait for an assignment. You may get one or you may not. Kid's programs are usually scheduled ahead so you'll know when you'll be working, and there will be no down time waiting around.

You may be given a choice of kids or adults, or this may not be a choice you can make. You will most likely get some training targeted on how to teach beginners to turn and stop, how to teach them to get onto and off the chair, and where to take newbies on the mountain once they are off the beginner terrain. If you charm the Ski School director, you may get assigned intermediate or advanced skiers. But this is not a given.

All the above reflects my experience here in New England. It may be quite different midi-Atlantic or Midwest or out west.

Besides that I have to remark that I am a college student and I would like to say that I have already written about https://papersowl.com/examples/underground-railroad/ underground railroad, it inspired me a lot by the fact that where I do ski lessons this transport is very popular, so, the idea is that you don't actually have to focus only on ski lessons, because the clients are actually interested in stories about the ski place, that actually creates a lot of interest.
Hey @tube77, it's great that you're considering becoming a part-time ski instructor! While @LiquidFeet provided some useful insights, I'd like to offer a slightly different perspective.

Ski schools indeed vary in their operations, but generally, as a part-time instructor, you might have some flexibility in choosing when you'd like to work. However, it's important to note that ski schools often require instructors during peak times, which include weekends, holidays, and busy vacation weeks. So, your preference to work only on Saturdays and Sundays might align well.

As for the working hours, your expectation of teaching continuously from 9 am to 2 pm might not be the case. Ski schools usually have specific lesson times that you'll be assigned to, and you'll likely have some downtime between lessons.

Qualifications are important, and being an advanced skier is a good start. However, keep in mind that ski schools might have their own training programs to ensure consistency in teaching methods. Don't worry if you lack prior experience as an instructor; many schools provide training to help you effectively teach new skiers.

wolcoma

Getting on the lift
Skier
In recent years I have been thinking of switching over from coaching ski racing to becoming a ski instructor. Having coached all ages, much of what we teach to junior racers is mostly "Ski Instructor 101" especially early season where we are primarily only doing free skiing and little to no gate training. I also disagree that racers ski differently than recreational skiers, other than the cross blocking needed for racing slalom. Again most of our coaching is carving turns, upper & lower body separation, weight on the outside ski, pole plant (actually pole touch), angulation, etc. We ski coaches tend to run a lot of free skiing drills like skiing without poles, ankle touch drills, lifting the inside ski, rollovers etc.

The only thing I find challenging now with coaching ski racing is carrying the gates and course setting. For years I was able to carry a heavy bag of gates and set a course at the same time. Not so much anymore. The other reason is ski coaching requires a lot of travel to races and camps. Speed camps are the worst as they go on forever and require a lot of extra B-net etc. When we're doing speed camps it seems like the TD is always in a bad mood...............which is not a lot of fun. The kids love speed camps but they can be tough on the coaches.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wolcoma, the difference IMHO is that junior race coaches teach better skiing right from the start. Aspiring racers understand that the objective is to go fast, and they're motivated to figure out quickly how to carve a turn. They're typically in a season-long program, so there's ample time to teach and develop high level skills. Ski school students commonly sign up for just one or two lessons. The pressure is on to get beginners and novices to the point that they can navigate in control, and stay vertical, all over the mountain on blue trails. The students are commonly much more timid than race program athletes. This leads to an emphasis on slower speed, slippy turns. That approach risks neglecting essential fundamental skills, and ingraining non-optimal "survival" habits. It doesn't have to be that way, but it often happens.

I'm sure everyone would love to hear about your experiences in the coming season.

WildBillD

Booting up
Skier
I have kids racing in a local racing club so I used to ski for 4~5hours every weekends, rain or shine.
I am considering to work as a part time instructor on the weekends to save some money mostly because of the crazy inflation on season pass/racing school program fee.
I like to teach and go easy with new people/kids and I am an advanced skier (no prior experience as an instructor or coach though). So qualification wise I think I am good to go.
But I have no idea how the part-time instructor job is going on in ski school.
Can I work as I wish or only when I am available?
For instance, I would like to work only Saturday and Sunday from like 9am to 2pm. (I don't really care how much hours I actually teach). Is this doable?
If I am able to work from 9am to 2pm, then am I expecting to teach 5 hours straight or do I standby from 9 to 2pm in a little office until a specific group/private lesson is assigned to me?
Please share how the ski instructors life goes.
It should be doable if you give the ski school a commitment of days. Usually 5 -10 week ends will get you hired. A part time job at mcDonalds will pay more than ski instruction, and it is not as glamorous as made out to be in the movies. You must really want to and love teaching people

Most lesson assignments are not given after 2:30 -3:00, but a lesson can extend to 4:00. that would be rare. Now adays, since you will be teaching kids, the ski schools will most likely require you to get a background check

You can not really work when you wish. Chtistmas, President's week end, MLK are when ski school's need people most and that is the time you may be required to teach opening bell to close. There are many part time ski instructors, so on week ends that is when the school staff has the most instructors show up. You can usually negoiate times when you can not be at the ski area, but a time commitment to show up is usually required.

I do know of a certain southeastern ski area, that gets crowded on week ends and does require waiting in an office for lesson assignments. Usually though you will get a chance to ski, when not working, but need to check in with the desk for walkins. Check in at specific times - usually hourly. For legal reasons, when free skiing, some ski areas may require that you not ski in a uniform in case of ski accident. In that case, you can ski in your own personal jacket and may not be considered a ski area employee. So the pay is based when you teach , You will not be salaried

Based on policy, some ski schools that have limited staff, may require online lesson sign ups and limit the number of lessons given in a day, and in that case your schedule may be set before you arrive for work.

The positives are: free cliniic instruction for you and your skiing will definetely improve, you will make many close friendships that will last a lifetime, discounts at the lunch counter and onsite ski shop, professional courtesies for discounts on equipment, and the opportunity to advance your knowledge and ski skills thru a professional education organization, such as PSIA.

Another thought, is that if you have a race background, you may be able to get a job with the race program and coach your kid or not.

Expect to go thru a period of training, before you are hired. There is usually a hiring clinic early in the season, usually the first 2 week ends of ski area opening where your skiing, teaching , and customer interaction will be evaluated. Some ski area charge for the hiring clinic, some do not.

Once hired there is a slew of paperwork, including a form submitted to the state for any findings on crime and child abuse. After you are offically hired, shadowing an experienced instructor with clients will happen. and usally about week 3 is when they will trust you enough to assign you a lesson and let you go out on your own.

Also be advised, that when hired, you may be required to fill in on other jobs around the ski area(ticket seller/checker, liftie, set up beginner area.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
It should be doable if you give the ski school a commitment of days. Usually 5 -10 week ends will get you hired. A part time job at mcDonalds will pay more than ski instruction, and it is not as glamorous as made out to be in the movies. You must really want to and love teaching people

Most lesson assignments are not given after 2:30 -3:00, but a lesson can extend to 4:00. that would be rare. Now adays, since you will be teaching kids, the ski schools will most likely require you to get a background check

You can not really work when you wish. Chtistmas, President's week end, MLK are when ski school's need people most and that is the time you may be required to teach opening bell to close. There are many part time ski instructors, so on week ends that is when the school staff has the most instructors show up. You can usually negoiate times when you can not be at the ski area, but a time commitment to show up is usually required.

I do know of a certain southeastern ski area, that gets crowded on week ends and does require waiting in an office for lesson assignments. Usually though you will get a chance to ski, when not working, but need to check in with the desk for walkins. Check in at specific times - usually hourly. For legal reasons, when free skiing, some ski areas may require that you not ski in a uniform in case of ski accident. In that case, you can ski in your own personal jacket and may not be considered a ski area employee. So the pay is based when you teach , You will not be salaried

Based on policy, some ski schools that have limited staff, may require online lesson sign ups and limit the number of lessons given in a day, and in that case your schedule may be set before you arrive for work.

The positives are: free cliniic instruction for you and your skiing will definetely improve, you will make many close friendships that will last a lifetime, discounts at the lunch counter and onsite ski shop, professional courtesies for discounts on equipment, and the opportunity to advance your knowledge and ski skills thru a professional education organization, such as PSIA.

Another thought, is that if you have a race background, you may be able to get a job with the race program and coach your kid or not.

Expect to go thru a period of training, before you are hired. There is usually a hiring clinic early in the season, usually the first 2 week ends of ski area opening where your skiing, teaching , and customer interaction will be evaluated. Some ski area charge for the hiring clinic, some do not.

Once hired there is a slew of paperwork, including a form submitted to the state for any findings on crime and child abuse. After you are offically hired, shadowing an experienced instructor with clients will happen. and usally about week 3 is when they will trust you enough to assign you a lesson and let you go out on your own.

Also be advised, that when hired, you may be required to fill in on other jobs around the ski area(ticket seller/checker, liftie, set up beginner area.
Excellent and thorough summary. It matches my experience at ski schools in New England.
It's important to focus also on the satisfaction and fun involved in the actual teaching. Plus the fatigue after a full day of work.

WildBillD

Booting up
Skier
Excellent and thorough summary. It matches my experience at ski schools in New England.
It's important to focus also on the satisfaction and fun involved in the actual teaching. Plus the fatigue after a full day of work.
Agree