• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

This forum needs a cheese thread

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Talking of Quebec cheese, I once had some frommage blanc with parsnips in it. Wish I could remember the name.

So you could avoid it, presumably.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Swoon ... very local and very very very good

20180407_184951-01.jpeg
20180407_185041-01.jpeg

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
20180413_091528.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably not a true aficionado but the standards of many, but if I had to live the rest of my life with only one cheese:

download.jpg

Sharp Stilton FTW!

If I could add a second, it would be a simple Tillamook Extra Sharp Cheddar.

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There is a cheese shop in downtown Ottawa that sell some. Interesting cheeses, bourbon cheese is one that we’ve tried (very good actually).

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
America has really stepped up to the plate in the last decade, producing some really world class artisan cheeses. This is a soft rind blue from Missoula. Delicious.
fullsizeoutput_6b58.jpeg

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I found a gem of a store and bought these:
20180421_195819.jpg

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sweet dreams are made of cheese
who am I do diss a brie?
It's Camembert world and Edam seas -
Everybody's looking Port Salut -

Some of them taste to cheddar -
some of them taste to rocquefort you
some of them taste to stilton
some of them taste gorgonzola too -

Sweet dreams are made of cheese
who am I do diss a brie?
It's Camembert world and Edam seas -
Everybody's looking Port Salut -

Hold your head up; keep your head up, movin' on
Hold your head up, movin' on
Keep your head up, movin' on
Hold your head up, movin' on

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I found this yesterday and brought some home for the weekend. YUM. If you have the opportunity I do recommend it.
upload_2018-10-13_9-39-36.png

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I found this yesterday and brought some home for the weekend. YUM. If you have the opportunity I do recommend it.
View attachment 55625

ohhh, pricey but looks nice.

even more cool as I happen to be in Wi this weekend and looked up the Dairy, I drive by every time I visit my kid and had planned to stop at the Blue Mound Caves in Blue Mound Wi. Dairy is just up the road and they give tours! Too, come winter I can hit Tyrol Basin for some skiing, another hill I decided to try this year.

Uncle-A

Skier
ohhh, pricey but looks nice.

even more cool as I happen to be in Wi this weekend and looked up the Dairy, I drive by every time I visit my kid and had planned to stop at the Blue Mound Caves in Blue Mound Wi. Dairy is just up the road and they give tours! Too, come winter I can hit Tyrol Basin for some skiing, another hill I decided to try this year.
The price may be the location of my purchase, you may do better at your location. I would be interested to hear if that works out for you.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Been nibbling on "Ghost Pepper Cheese". Think of a small run pepper jack using ghost peppers. Very memorable for in excess of 12 hours.

Working on a project out of Twin Falls, Idaho; amazed at the number of dairies here. Had no idea! Lived as a kid in Wisconsin for a while, they got nothing on this place. That is one of the reasons Chobani built here.

If you are traveling through on I-84 this place is worth an overnight. There is a little cheese store with the hard to remember name of, "The Cheese Shop" on Main Street selling pretty much all local cheeses. To make this place more appealing there is a new micro brewery getting ready to open in about a month.

Life could be so much worse.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The price may be the location of my purchase, you may do better at your location. I would be interested to hear if that works out for you.

Well, no real luck on the dairy as they haven't a shop, nor any near by. They returned a message noting they sell only in Madison at effectively the farmers market. It actually moves around a bit in the downtown area but nice thing is I still drive right on through. Only this will need to be a Saturday or maybe a Wednesday downtown Madison. Looks to be a nice set up with lots of farm produce.

Just a wee bit of planning and all will be good!

Uncle-A

Skier
Well, no real luck on the dairy as they haven't a shop, nor any near by. They returned a message noting they sell only in Madison at effectively the farmers market. It actually moves around a bit in the downtown area but nice thing is I still drive right on through. Only this will need to be a Saturday or maybe a Wednesday downtown Madison. Looks to be a nice set up with lots of farm produce.

Just a wee bit of planning and all will be good!
Thanks for the update @pete sounds like you have a plan, please keep me in the loop.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Uncle-A

Will do, but as I'm from Iowa, I can take some comfort in Maytag Blue .. easily bought here at most any store and great with a variety of things from Salad to Burgers and good with a crisp summer wine.

general Wine Enth story gives em a thumbs up:

https://www.winemag.com/2017/03/30/feeling-blue-for-cheese/

had taken this as part of our "Iowa" gift baskets to our travel organizer of our Steamboat Resort trips .. sadly (my opinion) bought out by Wyndham Resorts and we've resorted to self planning.

Sponsor

Staff online