• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, a short update for any who care. First off thank you for all the advice and well wishes. The advice helped me ask more pertinent questions. Just did my 6 month after visit, and my mobility is pretty good. 5 degrees short of full range with my arm in front, and 10 degrees short with the arm at my side. Dr. is very happy, (as am I) considering the severity and location of the break. Still weak but definitely getting better. It might never be as good as it was, but at 56, nothing is. It's a fight I've been losing for a decade now. Will be able to golf starting in October, so that will give something to do. I will have to take this season off from skiing, Just have to strengthen it (and lose a few pounds; seems I ate my feelings a little) but will be able to ski 2021.:yahoo:
When will you be able to swing the sticks?

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hang in there, @chip inderhol . I know it's a bummer. Good advice here--you might come back to skiing a little different but still able to do what you did before, athletically older and wiser but strong.

TS
chip inderhol

chip inderhol

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oct 1st is range day. Or maybe I'll cheat it a day or so. It will be interesting to see how much yardage I lose. And I'm really not that bummed. Years ago I blew up my knee, and thought that would be it. Missed 6 years, but got talked into skiing again, and the knee felt great. I feel like the last 13 years were a bonus, so 1 year off to rebuild strength is ok with me. You can golf year 'round here in Portland if you don't mind rain. I'm a native; I LOVE rain.

Robertito

Getting on the lift
Skier
Chip, having undergone the same surgery 11 days ago, I am very glad to read of your excellent recovery, and hope you are continuing to improve. How are you doing with your golf swing? Mine being the left shoulder, and as a righty, I know the stresses in that region are major. And I am 67.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi @chip inderhol, I broke my proximal humerus last year (21 Jan 2019) and was back to skiing this season on 30 Nov. I had my hardware removed early this past June. Have you had the plate & screws removed yet? It helped me quite a bit with pain and mobility. I'll never have my previous mobility and I still hurt every day but life is pretty much back to normal. FWIW, I was 49 yo when I sustained the injury.

@Robertito , Best wishes and good luck with your recovery!

Robertito

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thank you, Shawn. At 67, I don’t think post-healing removal is considered.

TS
chip inderhol

chip inderhol

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, after my last (and final) visit to the surgeon, he said my recovery was in the 99th percentile. So I got really lucky. Might be a spring pass in my future. As for the pain, it only shows up in certain awkward movements. Mostly reaching up and/or back too quickly. It is my right shoulder and I have had no pain swinging a club. And I am a left-handed golfer. Although I have lost a club or two in distance, I think I'll get some of it back. I have been losing yardage for the last 7 or 8 years, so it just is what it is. No more playing the tips. Robertito, when they clear you, DO THE DAMN REHAB EXERCISES. They suck and they hurt, but it makes all the difference in the world.

Robertito

Getting on the lift
Skier
Chip, I was cleared from the sling 12 days ago , just came back from 5th PT session, been doing the rehab exercises 2x day, and making superb progress according to the therapist. Glad to hear your lead shoulder is holding up for golf— I am in the same boat, but rt handed with left shoulder break. It is amazing how screwed up you get from 25 days in a sling— but ROM is coming along nicely.

Sponsor

Staff online