• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Three weeks sailing in Maine

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
NOTE: Below this post are four more posts that comprise the journal of my trip. If you don't see all the photos, be patient. There are over 100 and they take a while to download.

I have posted a few photos from my recent trip to NH to visit my family as well as to spend some time sailing on the coast of Maine. It was a wonderful time and a trip to remember.

1660530362951.png

Photo taken from on the train to DIA. These buildings reminded me of my 'Girders and Panels Building Set' from when I was a kid.

IMG_20220707_100746246.jpg

DIA's distinctive terminal building with the relatively new Westin hotel on the right end. The train station is below the Westin.

I arrived in NH on Thursday evening and saw my dad and brother at the family home. I visited my mother in the nursing home where she lives the following morning. My good friend Paul's family has a place in Sumner, ME and as he can only go up there on weekends, we headed up there on Friday evening.

IMG_20220708_203355108_HDR.jpg

A lovely evening on the pond. Paul's camp is the only one on the pond.

IMG_20220711_112452338_HDR.jpg

The Gypsy Moth Caterpillar decimated a wide variety of trees, pine and deciduous, eating the leaves and leaving their frass all over the place to make a disgusting mess.

I spent a few days the next week preparing my boat. I installed a 50w solar panel and controller to keep my battery charged to run depth sounder, knot log and lights as well as to keep my phone and PC charged.

I launched in South Portland which leaves you right in the thick of things.

IMG_20220713_123126978_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220713_132027074.jpg

IMG_20220713_133740647_HDR.jpg

Finally out on the open ocean. Ram Island Light across from Portland Head.

First plunge of the trip. The water was pretty chilly. It felt the coldest of any other place. I don't know if I just got used to it or if it was just colder here than the other places.

IMG_20220713_200654876.jpg

Jewell Island's Cocktail Cove is my perennial first stop. It is out of the harbor but not so far that I can't make it in good time while making sure all rigging and systems are functioning properly.

IMG_20220714_075616766.jpg

These house boats were an unusual pair of neighbors.

From Jewell Island I headed down east. I didn't have a particular destination in mind; there were several options depending on conditions. I made it to Seguin Island.

IMG_20220714_201154262.jpg

Sunset on Seguin Island. These moorings are on a donation basis. There are caretakers on the island to give tours of the lighthouse and its museum. I covered that last year. ;-)

IMG_20220715_212134370.jpg

IMG_20220715_212452441.jpg

Life below deck and my home for 22 days. I never put ice in the cooler on this trip and brought enough food, beer and water to last the entire time without need to restock.

There was early wind so I got off quickly only to have it die between 10 and noon. It returned and I made good way for the rest of the day.

1660195914805.png

I passed through this thoroughfare on my way to Burnt Island.

But Burnt wasn't to be my destination that night as gusts picked up so I reefed the main and I took advantage of the wind to log more miles making it to Long Cove at Tenants Harbor, another 6 or so nm along.

1660196036126.png

The light at the entrance to Tenants Harbor.

Long Cove is a nice anchorage on the way in to Tenants Harbor proper. It was also the only place where I hit ground as I was overly anxious to be done for the day and cut a corner where I shouldn't have. No harm done and I continued to anchor without any more excitement.

I set out for Vinalhaven the following morning. I crossed Penobscot Bay, which is notorious for fog, continuing to pass through Fox Island Thoroughfare by main sail only which made for a relaxing opportunity to sightsee.

1660196773860.png

Whitehead Island Light is a few miles east of Tenants.

IMG_20220716_130743599.jpg

A fair wind dropped for a while then returned (typical) and haze made me wonder if it was actually fog moving in.

1660196922880.png

1660196988728.png

Browns Head Light Station at the west entrance of the thoroughfare between North Haven and Vinalhaven.

1660197114255.png

There were lots of schooners out and about. This one was a small one.

1660197207771.png

The North Haven ferry.

1660197298499.png

And a wee boat. I believe this is one of the local fleet of one-design sailing dinghies.

1660197584375.png

The light near the east end of the thoroughfare: Goose Rock Lighthouse.

After passing Goose Rock the winds freshened and I wasn't able to reduce sail so toughed it out with some good hard sailing to end the day. I eventually had to start the outboard, head into the wind and furl the sails to enter Seal Bay on the eastern side of Vinalhaven.

1660197434464.png

Rosa is a 1988 Precision 21 that I bought in 1989. She was moored in Portland off the East End Beach from '89 through '99. She has a shoal draft keel with a centerboard that lowers out of the keel. her draft is 2 feet with centerboard up, 5 feet with it down. Her displacement is 1850 pounds with 600 of that in the keel. I have a 150% genoa and a 100% jib. I sailed the jib most of the time due to the vagaries of the winds.

IMG_20220716_200505798_HDR.jpg

Dinner.

I took a lot of photos in response to @Snowfan's questions. We were texting a bit throughout the trip. I aimed for single pan meals and this one really hit the spot. Sauté dry salami, onion, garlic, sun-dried tomato then add dry pasta and enough fluid (I used milk made from powder) and simmer until al dente. Toss on some parmesan and enjoy. The stove has a single alcohol burner which will also heat up the cabin on a chilly or damp day without a lot of noxious fumes. The sink drains outside and the pump is connected to 5 gallon tank below. I had an additional 8 gallons of water in reused juice bottles and a 6.5 gallon water jug.

IMG_20220716_202740408_HDR.jpg

You will perhaps notice a theme of sunset shots in this thread. :)

They were extraordinary nearly every evening. They were also the signal to deploy a screen over the hatch as mosquitos would come at dusk and dawn as I was always in proximity to land at those times.

The next day I headed out again with no specific destination planned but a few possible. I got across East Pen Bay to the west end of the Deer Isle Thoroughfare and the fog rolled in. I stopped in a cove, had lunch and hoped the fog would lift. It appeared to, but kept moving in and out. I proceeded with caution under power through the thoroughfare.

1660252818118.png

There is a spectral schooner in that photo.

1660252895107.png

Stonington was known for its granite quarries. This is a loading dock with a pile of refuse stone.

1660252976686.png

Yet another schooner. This one is pretty good sized.

1660253057066.png

The metal tubing on this lobster boat was new to me. They use it to hang gear on and in this case add some deck space past the transom. It must free up a lot of deck space which would make fishing that much easier and safer.

When I cleared Deer Isle I continued towards Swans Island which had a nice anchorage. More fits of calm and fresh breezes spurred me to pass by Swans and head for Northeast Harbor on Mount Desert Island. I got to Bass Harbor Light at the southern tip of the west lobe of the island and encountered something I knew about but had never experienced.

There is a bar that extends from MDI to Great Gott Island to the south. The depth of this bar varies from 15 to 10 feet with the approaches on either side much deeper. So during a tide, the current is flowing with plenty of space until it encounters the bar where it forms a rip tide. Either side of the bar are basically flat water but over the bar there is this chop and strong current. I was going with the tide in the case or I would have been challenged to sail over it with the gentle winds I had at the time.

As you can see in the video there was some thin fog.

1660254368810.png

This thin layer thickened up quickly and left me to dead reckon the rest of the way (4 - 5 nm) to Northeast Harbor. There were ledges to the north of my course, then after turning north, ledges to the east.

1660254392283.png

Needless to say this was a good site as it was one of my targets in navigating around the ledges. This is a gong, which has three gongs of different pitches to distinguish it from a bell which makes one sound. I turned north at the gong and shot the following video.

1660254440885.png

I picked up a free town mooring in Northeast Harbor. This is a great harbor. Well protected and with plenty of marine services, dining options and adjacent to a land trust with lovely gardens and hiking trails.

Last edited:
TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I had visited Northeast Harbor a while back so knew how to entertain myself while I waited for the early morning fog to burn off. I rowed over to the dock provided by the The Land & Garden Preserve and walked up the terraces to the Thuya Garden.

The terraces were donated by a summer resident landscape architect, Joseph H. Curtis, for the enjoyment of the locals and their summer guests. The Thuya Lodge, in the gardens was his summer residence. The gardens were developed during the late 1950s after Curtis' passing.

1660532424495.png

The entrance from the lower parking lot. You could bypass the walk up the terraces by driving to an upper lot.

IMG_20220718_071257695_HDR.jpg

The way up to the Thuya Gardens was a rustic walkway with a few overlooks to sit and relax along the way.

IMG_20220718_072211399_HDR.jpg

Looking back at the harbor from one of the overlooks.

1660531451128.png

The Garden gate.

1660531497555.png

1660531524820.png

1660531569024.png

There were a number of small buildings for contemplation and relaxation throughout the garden and along the terraces.

After enjoying the gardens I determined that I ought to be able to venture out.

1660531639188.png

A Friendship sloop was out enjoying the morning's breeze. There was a bit of haze or was it fog?

1660531687018.png

Fog.

The fog arrived with a vengeance and a strong breeze and rising seas. I was dead reckoning and made the bell buoy I was aiming for midway to Bar Harbor. The fog was lifting a bit as I approached Bar Harbor.

1660531732581.png

My log, binoculars, fog horn, and chart. A bee found me and made himself comfortable.

My plan had been to come in for two nights as there were small craft advisories for the first night and the day after I arrived. I met a friend who lived nearby and visited his future home's building site. We then toured by car around the island enjoying a great BBQ with beer from the adjacent brewery.

1660531771578.png

My mooring was a town rental and near the public dock, but also adjacent to a fair amount of traffic. This schooner is one of (if not the only) four masted schooners. It is steel but the sails and sailing is still done by hand.

1660531831861.png

One of a gazillion photos from the second night I spent in Bar Harbor. The first night was really rough and I was nearly tossed out my berth.

Egg Rock light on my way out of Bar Harbor. The sailing that day, under reefed main, was good hard work with some gusts and strong winds. I basically traced my course back to Northeast Harbor as it was so nice and I wanted to see more of the island by foot. The free town mooring in a well protected harbor with a quick row to the public landing helped.

1660531963336.png

Another garden in the preserve. Unfortunately the azaleas were not in bloom. The previous time I was there they were pretty much at their peak. The garden still had its charm and plenty of flowers.

1660532004616.png

This sand garden was in a pleasant corner of the garden.

1660532048171.png

1660532079134.png

I had wanted to visit the Asticou Inn at the head of the harbor for dinner, but they were short-staffed due a Coronavirus outbreak. So I headed off by dinghy to Northeast Harbor proper. I was a little late in getting out but found a wonderful restaurant where I was able to dine at the bar.

1660532116312.png

This photo isn't terribly sharp but the arrangement of adjuncts for cocktails was nicely presented. I had a great meal and a couple of cocktails. It was a worthwhile splurge.

1660532145605.png

Breakfast back on the boat. I would have eggs and toast many days as well as steel-cut oats with dried fruit added on other days. The dried cherries were my favorite add-in.

1660532173836.png

Dang. More fog. Fortunately I had the Preserve to occupy my day.

1660534580812.png

After another walk around the garden I started out on one of the trails. This door provided access to the hiking trails.

1660532211482.png

Granite was everywhere. The amount and beauty of the moss and lichen was remarkable

1660532237956.png

One of many junctions on the trail system. I was on my way to Little Long Pond. I was hoping to get a freshwater swim in.

1660532265390.png

The trails quite elaborately built to make walking easy. Surprisingly there weren't too many biting insects in the woods.

1660534870260.png

I was able to swim at this spot. Access was restricted to a few places for animal and human swimming in order to protect the shore.

The boathouse in the picture housed a couple of canoes. I had met a work party on the trail and when I got around to the boathouse they were there before me. I realized that they had paddled to and from their work site. Not a bad way to get to work.

1660532328638.png

This is the bog at the north end of the pond.

Last edited:
TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Chapter 3

The following day I took a quick visit to the Thuya Garden to stretch my legs. You don't get a lot of exercise on a boat, at least not for your legs so I took every opportunity to walk that I could. But it was finally time to leave MDI and start back west.

1660532598314.png

Hey! Where's the helmsman!? I lash the tiller down in order to move about yet still hold a course. That's MDI in the background.

This leg of the journey took me to Mackerel Cove on Swans Island. I'd visited Burnt Coat Harbor which is a classic working harbor the last time I was at Swans. This was another world altogether.

1660535270220.png

Sunrise.

1660535334021.png

A page from my log book. This is a special paper by Rite In The Rain that doesn't degrade when wet and when written on with appropriate writing implements you can write on it underwater. Last year my log got soaked on a rainy day and took days to dry out. The pages also stuck together. My friend with the camp uses these and told me about them. Thanks, Paul!

1660535371924.png

The departure from Mackerel Cove was slow and relaxing. A family of ducks for @Snowfan. Quack!

1660535590422.png

Passing out of a narrow channel on my way to McGlathery Is.

1660535668219.png

Sunrise at McGlathery.

When I was last at McGlathery, years ago, I had a near brush with disaster. In the middle of the night, I heard someone blowing their fog horn. A neighboring boat had noticed that we were dragging and used their horn to get my attention. I thanked them in the morning on my departure. Needless to say I was extra careful anchoring here this trip. I started to anchor where I knew it was close to some rocks, but when I saw how close, I decided to move. As I was moving to my new location, I asked the captain of a power boat if he was in front of or behind another rock that was on the chart. He was perplexed, checked his chart and promptly moved. He hadn't noticed the rock on the chart and was neither in front nor behind it; he was directly over it. He re-anchored and after we both were comfortable on our hooks, I visited him and related my earlier trouble with dragging and explained that I was paying it forward.

1660535708039.png

This island has a trail to another anchoring area on the other side. It is marked with found buoys and assorted items that wash up on the shores. This is Rosa as seen from the trailhead.

From McGlathery, I ventured back to Seal Bay again as small craft advisories were in effect for severe thunderstorms and high winds with gusts. My first anchorage was taken so I ventured to another area of the bay. There were a number of boats already at anchor, but my shallow draft served me well once again when I was able to anchor at a good distance from the rest of the 'fleet'. The shallower water makes me more comfortable as I don't have much chain on my rode. In shallower water I can more readily let out more line and still not swing too much. The surrounding land didn't block all the wind, but it did prevent waves from developing.

I rowed around to check out a spot I passed by on my way in. I wanted to check it out at low tide to make sure that it was rock free for possible future visits.

1660535779224.png

A classic coastal scene replete with rockweed.

1660535807507.png

The moment you realize your sunscreen is named...

1660535835660.png

My cooler consisted of a bait bag with a rock in it to keep it from floating. I'd put it overboard in about 6 feet of water to chill my beer just a skoch.

1660535875517.png

The weather was threatening on the first night but it didn't storm that hard, just some good rain. The second day was a steady 15 knot breeze and the anchor held just fine. That night the heavy weather hit with a vengeance. My boat was heeling on anchor from the huge wind and the rain was torrential. In the morning there was at least 3 inches of water in the dinghy.

I departed after the second night with nice winds and plentiful sunshine.

1660535931911.png

Sailing south before heading west and through Carvers Harbor. As I was passing through the harbor the ferry came up on my stern in a very narrow channel. I was able to keep clear and chalked it up to know where the ferries go.

1660536303700.png

Later on another ferry passed me by.

I continued on to Long Cove on Vinalhaven. The chart shows that half of it shoals but my guide book said that if you choose to navigate a narrow (20 feet wide) break in a ledge, you can anchor in a tidal pond.

1660536349281.png

This is the ledge and the section on the right is the opening. It is like the bar at Bass Harbor in that it creates a rip as the tide flows through the restriction. I was able to power in at 3 knots through the water, but only .5 knots over ground. That let me scope out the potential rocks and obstruction without hitting anything.

1660536423270.png

This is looking back out of the tidal pond. The water was glass. Exiting on the opposite tide I was again creeping along against the tide.

1660536497260.png

More scenic shoreline.

1660536524482.png

Those ever present ferries passing each other coming and going between Rockland and Carvers Harbor.

1660536555358.png

The problem with sunglasses is that you can't wear them and easily use binoculars. I took this pair off to use the binocs and sat on them. No bueno.

1660536575490.png

An extra pair of shades came into service.

From Vinalhaven I should have gone back to Long Cove at Tenants Harbor. It would have made for an interesting log entry to go from Long Cove to Long Cove, too. However, I thought the wind would hold up and I could make Burnt Is. Well I made it but only with a half hour to spare before sunset. The last hour was under motor in rough seas with a nasty chop and a headwind.

1660536627921.png

No sooner had I anchored and gotten comfortable that I wasn't going to drag, this happened.

1660536648215.png

And this.

1660536673349.png

And this. The amount of change in the sunsets is why I have so many pictures. They are all good.

1660536698788.png

Many dinners were made from these two products. A package of each in a sauce pan, heated for 3 minutes and a delicious meal was ready. I brought enough of this to have it practically every night but I was able to make the pasta dish as often so I wasn't worn out on lentils with rice. As tedious as it may sound, I was quite content as I had avoided the running around for ice to keep fresh food fresh.

1660536751578.png

This is the morning view. I was awakened by the gentle rocking of the wakes of lobstermen going about their day. They typically start at or before dawn. I suspect it is because the seas are less pronounced, cooler temperatures makes for more comfortable work and it gives them more daylight for other things when they return to shore.

From Burnt Is. I headed out for Little River, off the Damariscotta River.

1660537198434.png

Pemaquid Point Light.

Little River runs up to a mill pond and is a very narrow harbor with lots of moorings. Again, I can go where most can't so I got up to the head of the harbor to overnight in 3 feet at low. This was one of the few places where I seemed to be the only transient.

1660537224159.png

Some of my neighbors.

Last edited:
TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Chapter 4

One of my favorite places (so far at least) is Damariscove Is. It is a few miles south of Boothbay Harbor and Little River. Getting there was an easy sail until the gusts picked up. I reefed under duress and proceeded to enter the south facing harbor.

1660540697516.png

Ram Is. Lighthouse

1660540727270.png

I'm sure there is a story to this chimney.

1660540761707.png

The former, now private, life saving station at the entrance to Damariscove Is. Harbor. There is a story about this station. Two men bought this when they were in their 20s at a government auction as they had grown up spending lots of time on the island. They eventually got the land from the private owners. They renovated it and use and rent it.

1660541104773.png

1660540854456.png

The paths on the island are mostly narrow with high bushes defining them.

1660540816274.png

Part of the Pond Loop goes out on the east ledges.

1660540896471.png

The freshwater pond is in the front left. The right is a cove open to the ocean and the left is open ocean.

1660540928842.png

The drought has reduce a lot of flower and fruit growth on the island. There weren't many raspberries, but they were delicious little flavor bombs.

1660541151665.png

Little Damariscove.

1660541195371.png

Poison ivy was all over. They use a vinegar, salt and soap mix to kill it.

1660541234555.png

Gosh. Another sunset. More glassy water.

1660541269386.png

A small lobster. They make the holes and hide in them.

1660541300358.png

Rosa's namesake. The dinghy is named Rosebud.

1660541324606.png

Standing at the head of the harbor looking out at all the boats. Many of the outer boats are on moorings. I'm at anchor so others can use the mooring next to me. At times there were 4 or 5 more boats in the harbor. I did a lot of diving and swimming from my boat and the floating dock. The water was just about perfect temperature-wise and as clear as you get on the ocean.

1660541346735.png

Artifacts from earlier days when this was a very active fishing base. The easy access to freshwater allowed the residents to maintain livestock which they would winter over in buildings of which only foundations remain.

1660541391265.png

Flat Ledge on the west side.

IMG_20220731_171530943_HDR.jpg

I walked everyday for the scenery and the exercise, often more than once.

1660541507713.png

1660541569132.png

The museum at the head of the harbor holds a plethora of artifacts.

1660541594343.png

Sunset. Bored of them yet? Not me.

1660541633259.png

Low tide.

During my time on Damariscove Is., I met a couple that had been retrofitting a 44 foot former Navy training sloop in Key West for the past 5 years. This year they took a voyage to Maine. I enjoyed hearing about their life's journeys and spending an evening on their boat. They were continuing east with a couple of months remaining to explore. I had met the island caretakers briefly on my visit last year. I was happy to share more time with them this year. They had some interesting tales to tell as well. S&A, thanks for your stewardship of this wonderful place.

1660541685521.png

After three nights I finally departed for parts not yet determined.

Rounding Bald Head on my way into the New Meadows River.

Following seas and a strong sustained tailwind made for exciting sailing. I hit and sustained 6.75 knots which is faster than I've ever gone in this boat.

1660541970306.png

I took a look in Cape Small Harbor, but it was just too windy for comfort. This fleet of 15 one-design boats are in a perfect line near the mouth of the harbor. I left the harbor to continue up-river to the Basin. This is another tidal pond. It is where I waited out Henri last summer.

1660542204145.png

1660542142918.png

1660542248330.jpeg

I awoke to fog again so went for walk in the Denny Reed Trail Basin Preserve. DEET was in order here. I rowed to a trailhead on the shore and walked the entire trail system.

1660542414793.png

The fog lifted in the Basin so I thought I'd go for a day sail, but this fog bank on the New Meadows River forced me to stay close to the entrance to the Basin. It eventually lifted, but too late for a run to another anchorage.

1660542351275.png

This fellow sailed into the Basin during the afternoon, dropped anchor and presumably napped. He then sailed away later on.

1660542443099.png

Sunset on the second night.

1660542476361.png

Morphing into this.

1660542533947.png

My new solar system with its through the cockpit waterproof fitting.

1660542562967.png

The controller. It worked well, keeping all my electronics running including my phone and laptop.

Last edited:
TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Chapter 5

My brother came over to visit while I was on my layover day in the Basin. We tried to get to Anna's Water's Edge Restaurant but it wasn't open Monday and Tuesday. So sad. But all was not lost.

1660601078072.png

I served my brother up some of the lentils and rice and he brought dessert. Unfortunately it disappeared before I could photograph it. Whoopie Pies are a special Maine treat.

1660601126547.png

A heron on the hunt.

1660598590541.png

And an egret. The island I was anchored beside has nesting eagles on it. I saw one but not long enough to take a picture.

IMG_20220803_134113806.jpg

On my way out of the New Meadows River, I swung by Ragged Is. which is listed in my cruising guide as having a decent anchorage. I always see the ocean facing side of it going east and west up the coast so I took the opportunity to scope out the anchorage side, facing inland. It wouldn't be my first choice but on a calm night or as an emergency stopover, I'd at least know what I was getting into.

1660598767287.png

Closer to my final port of call, Jewell Island, I saw a schooner in the distance. I took some long shots with my point and shoot camera with its optical zoom. Lo and behold the boat came about and got up really close. It sailed just in front of me for a wonderful chance to photograph it.

1660598790335.png

Sailing away. Sail boats are one of the most beautiful and functional man-made objects I know. The curve of the sails, the grace of the sheer of the decks, the voluptuous lines of the hull all make them a joy to see.

1660598813552.png

Remarkably enough this is called Monument Island.

It stands close to Eagle Is., the summer home of North Pole Explorer Admiral Robert Peary.

1660598856453.png

I've been in the museum a few times. It will be closed for a 2022-2023 for mold mitigation. That was probably overdue. ;-) Parts of it are maintained as it would have been back in the day. Other parts are cases and artifacts which have been collected after he was resident there.

IMG_2543.JPG

And back to Cocktail Cove.

IMG_2547 (2).JPG

And what to my wondering eyes should come along the thoroughfare? The same schooner I crossed paths with earlier that day. Encore!

1660600435909.png

It was fun going through almost the whole lunar cycle.

Jewell Island is on the Maine Island Trail and managed in part by MITA. It is quite popular and their oversight of the island has helped it preserve its beauty for all to enjoy. There are a remarkable number of tent sites as well as latrines. The sites have been restored from their earlier cavalier usage to nice, and often grassy, tent sites and the addition of all the latrines has kept the place much more pleasant.

1660600488738.png

A walk to the south end of the island will take you to a couple of WW II watch towers, a gun emplacement and the ruins of many structures that housed quarters and offices for the military presence of that era.

1660600508860.png

A slew of buoys decorate the trees on the path to the southeastern corner of the island.

1660600531266.png

That path ends here. You can almost see France.

1660600551552.png

Not a cocktail (no ice, remember) but apropos just the same.

1660600681924.png

The last day I scored a couple more schooner sightings. This is on the approach to Portland Harbor.

IMG_20220805_134154729_HDR.jpg

The head sails needed to be rinsed of the salt spray. Here they are hanging at the family house.

1660600847816.png

I travel to NH every few months to visit my parents. While I was sailing the nursing home called to say that they could take my Dad as a resident. Perfect timing. NOT! I fortunately had good internet that day so electronically signed all the documents so my brother could bring him in. My brother can resume his carefree ways after over 10 years of assisting them at home and I can relax knowing that my folks are together in a safe and caring place.

1660600915978.png

Putting away the boat was hot work with heat indexes approaching 100. This spot provided some relief.

1660600939335.png

In keeping with the theme, this sunset at Lookout Mountain on I-70 (it isn't always a parking lot, ;-) ) helped reacclimate me to being home.

1660600960990.png

And because you can't have too many sunset shots, here is one to close out.

Thanks to you all for your attention. I hope you enjoyed the trip.

Last edited:

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
I have to say that the "turns out Doug is also a sailor" content (this post along with the one from last year) has been really great. The Maine coast in the summer is definitely one of the things that makes me nostalgic for New England.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I think it hasn't happened yet.
Placeholders. I'm working on them. Chapter 5 will probably be all I need. There wasn't much time left on water after the Basin. :-(

Last edited:
TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have to say that the "turns out Doug is also a sailor" content (this post along with the one from last year) has been really great. The Maine coast in the summer is definitely one of the things that makes me nostalgic for New England.
The coast of Maine is special, like no other place. I had hoped to make it to Roque Island, which is about as far as one needs to go. Next year I'll plan 4 weeks on the water, but I have to figure out cellular service. I may need a remote antenna and amplifier to get that improved. Having a mast for the antenna will work wonders, I think. Often it was just the different between low and high tide that changed reception. If I could go and not be on line for clients, that would be extra special, but they need me, so I need cellular.

James

Out There
Instructor
The coast of Maine is special, like no other place.
Very true. I remember when I first was in Southern California going along the coast thinking, “This is it??” There’s a highway within 100 yards of the water for god’s sake. How boring for boaters

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Very true. I remember when I first was in Southern California going along the coast thinking, “This is it??” There’s a highway within 100 yards of the water for god’s sake. How boring for boaters
Agreed. There are virtually no bays or coves or islands on the left coast. Maine has 3,500 miles of coastline despite it only being about 300 miles from Kittery to Eastport.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Great posts, Doug.
Seems like it was a great visit. You covered a lot of ground!
I’m familiar with it all.
Thanks for taking the time to post, and share it all.
We were cruising East at about the same time. Beautiful. But unusually “warm.”

Thanks again,
MS

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Great posts, Doug.
Seems like it was a great visit. You covered a lot of ground!
I’m familiar with it all.
Thanks for taking the time to post, and share it all.
We were cruising East at about the same time. Beautiful. But unusually “warm.”

Thanks again,
MS
I spent a lot of time in the water. At anchor.

Sailing alone, I couldn't drag behind as my crew and I do on other sails.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Doug I really enjoyed following your cruise through the pictures you posted, but your remark about no bays, coves or islands on the left coast don't work here on the Salish Sea. There are the San Juan Islands in Washington State, then the Canadian Gulf Islands, and finally plenty of bays, coves, and islands all the way up through Southeast AK, if one cares to go that far.
You'd enjoy it.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Doug I really enjoyed following your cruise through the pictures you posted, but your remark about no bays, coves or islands on the left coast don't work here on the Salish Sea. There are the San Juan Islands in Washington State, then the Canadian Gulf Islands, and finally plenty of bays, coves, and islands all the way up through Southeast AK, if one cares to go that far.
You'd enjoy it.
I happily stand corrected. I was thinking of CA but neglected the NW. I have seen enviable shots of many of the places you mention. I need a left coast boat to experience them. ;)

Sponsor

Staff online