• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Thunderbird R15 WB vs Firebird HRC

Shawster

Booting up
Skier
I was doing some digging to see how these two differ, and I got some strange results on Soothski- I was expecting the HRC to be a fair bit stiffer than the R15 due to the dense core and extra carbon, but the numbers are showing the opposite??. I don't think the HRC has changed at all since 2020, so this is as close to apples-apples as I can get. This makes no sense!

Blizzardcompare.jpg

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
I would like to know what is the difference between how they ski

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Like any skis, each pair will vary a bit in weight and/or flex so these being similar isn’t that surprising but the FEEL of these skis will be noticeable on the snow.

Like the Volkl Deacon Vs the Deacon Master line, the HRC (or Master) adding ash wood in the core will damp the ski more without effecting weight or flex much. Then there are upgrades in the binding plate and bindings in the HRC which will stiffen underfoot and upgrade precision over the plate/bindings on the R15 W.
You also have the option of going to the Piston Plate in the HRC which would add even more oomph underfoot. The bindings are no longer on a demo track and are screwed down on the plate for a very solid mount.

So you have the following steps in their line R15 W, R15 LTD(70mm underfoot, bit tighter radius with better bindings and upgraded demo plate), HRC with X-Cell demo plate and bindings and finally the HRC Piston Plate with X-Comp bindings.

All are great and just a bit more precise and solid as you move up the line.
Have the narrower GS side cut 180cm WRC with Piston Plate and XComp 16 bindings for myself and love them. Not demanding at all but get more out of them the more you put in them.

TS
S

Shawster

Booting up
Skier
Like any skis, each pair will vary a bit in weight and/or flex so these being similar isn’t that surprising but the FEEL of these skis will be noticeable on the snow.

Like the Volkl Deacon Vs the Deacon Master line, the HRC (or Master) adding ash wood in the core will damp the ski more without effecting weight or flex much. Then there are upgrades in the binding plate and bindings in the HRC which will stiffen underfoot and upgrade precision over the plate/bindings on the R15 W.
You also have the option of going to the Piston Plate in the HRC which would add even more oomph underfoot. The bindings are no longer on a demo track and are screwed down on the plate for a very solid mount.

So you have the following steps in their line R15 W, R15 LTD(70mm underfoot, bit tighter radius with better bindings and upgraded demo plate), HRC with X-Cell demo plate and bindings and finally the HRC Piston Plate with X-Comp bindings.

All are great and just a bit more precise and solid as you move up the line.
Have the narrower GS side cut 180cm WRC with Piston Plate and XComp 16 bindings for myself and love them. Not demanding at all but get more out of them the more you put in them.

awesome, thanks for clearing that up. I'm going to pull the trigger on the Thunderbird R15- it has the stiffness to hold up my fat ass, but easier to ski when I'm not pushing it vs the HRC. Also because nobody has the Firebird in stock :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Where did you see stock of R15? See Monod in Banff has the 180cm R15 Ltd in stock but at 20% off and another place Skitown has them at 30%(ask Monod if they will match) but no stock of the 180cm. Don’t see R15 W stock in 182cm anywhere in Canada.

SkiEssentials with the 182cm HRC with X-Cell bindings for $919 US and they give 10% off if you subscribe and usually some off if you mention you’re a Skitalk member.

B6113079-4A2F-48D4-8B67-BDA6511F3C1F.png 38551459-D475-48E0-9C45-B609E72B93DD.png 58A0BC34-33D9-4EED-A282-B0D7F90B23A3.png

TS
S

Shawster

Booting up
Skier
Where did you see stock of R15? See Monod in Banff has the 180cm R15 Ltd in stock but at 20% off and another place Skitown has them at 30%(ask Monod if they will match) but no stock of the 180cm. Don’t see R15 W stock in 182cm anywhere in Canada.

SkiEssentials with the 182cm HRC with X-Cell bindings for $919 US and they give 10% off if you subscribe and usually some off if you mention you’re a Skitalk member.

Squire John's in Collingwood had 1 new ($700 CAD) and 1 demo ($650 CAD) in stock of the 2023 R15WB 182.

It wasn't listed on their site, I bought the new one.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
At Gigiski, we had the same discussion and confusion over the huge overlap between the Thunderbird R15 WB and the Firebird HRC.

TS
S

Shawster

Booting up
Skier
At Gigiski, we had the same discussion and confusion over the huge overlap between the Thunderbird R15 WB and the Firebird HRC.

For 2023 I guess it comes down to which graphic you like better!

For 2024 the R15WB will be the same, but the Firebird HRC will have a 69mm waist and a new Race Trueblend core. Makes more sense in that configuration, so Blizzard must have gotten the message.

Sponsor

Staff online