• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tibial Plateau Fracture

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Tibial Plateau Fractures are one of the worst injuries you can incur as a skier. TGR Forums has a 77 page thread dedicated to this injury. It's totally blackpilling (makes you feel like there is no hope). I want to provide a better pill for those who have endured this injury.

I was on day 11 skiing Killington 12/7/2020. Was testing lunch break skiing for work timings. My idea was an 1:15 hour lunch break for skiing every day. Called last run on a foggy day where the fog just froze to goggles within a few turns. Hit a water bar on the way left side of Upper Double Dipper and double ejected. Didn't see the water bar at all (freezing fog). Skied to the new Bunny Buster Bridge and I guess the adrenaline wore off because I could not do another turn without a world of pain. Sled ride down to infirmary. Tibial Plateau Fracture diagnosed at Rutland Regional Hospital.
Surgery on 12/22/2020. Plate and 5 screws, bone graft. No weight bearing. 2 weeks later I had a follow up visit. Exercise given was heel slides. I got to 120 degrees ROM. Follow up to that was another 4 weeks of no weight bearing. 6 week visit ROM was 120+ degrees and now could partial weight bear. Now It's February 3, 2021. PT assignment given. 4 more weeks follow up visit. With COVID it took 2 weeks to get a PT appointment at this point which is now around 8 weeks since surgery. So 8 weeks, 140 degrees ROM. Let's work on strength since ROM is great. Still partial weight bearing. Worked hard with ankle weights and bands. 12 weeks, given permission to fully weight bear. Threw my crutches in the closet that day when I got home. Started single leg exercises. Next appt 5 weeks. That's late April. My PT talked to my PA on April 1 and since I was doing well, they agreed I could try skiing. 14 weeks since surgery. I have 6 days skiing now since April 1. I get fatigued but I can ski and have memorable turns. I have done Superstar, East Fall and Cascade with Spring bumps. I worked my ass off to get here but it's been worth it. I can do about 2 hours skiing before I get fatigued.
My main point here is that a Tibial Plateau Fracture is serious. Very serious. But if you do your PT and keep off the tibia while no weight bearing, you can get back to skiing. It's not a hopeless situation. I was told that my season was over but.... going skiing tomorrow.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It’s a serious injury, but recovery and treatment depends on whether there is displacement, how much, and whether other damage occurred. I had a non-displaced tibial plateau fracture in early March 2018, so no surgery, and I was full weight bearing 8 weeks after the injury and skiing in July. It was a much faster recovery, for obvious reasons.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a season ending displaced tibial plateau fracture some years ago. It took me three weeks to get the surgery, by which time it was healing, but not well.

I skied about 3 months after surgery, admittedly before I was supposed to be fully weight bearing and without the knowledge of my surgeon or my PT. Even my skiing friends were upset with me but admitted that they couldn't tell from my turns which leg had been broken.

Congrats to @mulva28 for doing it the right way and skiing the same season.

TS
mulva28

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Made it out this afternoon for a few runs. Temps in the 60's and the snow was a bit grabby with some puddles in the runouts and lift lines. Seemed a little risky so called it a day before something bad happened. The bone has healed but those muscles around the knee aren't as strong as they were before the fracture. Need to take care of the ligaments. More squats, lunges, bike trainer, BOSU and stretching during the week and hopefully I'll get another weekend in.

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yes, there is hope after this injury. I fractured my R tibial plateau back in the late 1990's during a GS race. Basically, I hit a cross rut left over from the first run just the wrong way. It threw me back on the tails of my skis. I attempted to get forward, but the energy stored in my skis launched me head over heels at probably 50+ mph. I landed on my feet, my L ski released, but my R ski didn't. My legs collapsed from the impact, and I was rolling down the hill with my R ski twisting my leg around. End result: multiple fractures on the R tibial plateu, R ACL completely torn off, R MCL partially torn, and R patella dislocated. I also partially tore the L MCL from my L leg getting caught up in the twisting R ski. This was after FIS and college racing with nothing more than a few bumps and bruises along the way. I guess all my racing "good luck" finally ran out! It was a very long recovery and I never have skied the same. My L leg recovered, my R leg is a total mess to this day. However, that was 23 years ago, and I am still skiing at a high level. I just need to pick my battles with the mountain more carefully. No more steep bump runs and if we get wet heavy snow, skiing is a no-go for that day. But at least I am still skiing.

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
Made it out this afternoon for a few runs. Temps in the 60's and the snow was a bit grabby with some puddles in the runouts and lift lines. Seemed a little risky so called it a day before something bad happened. The bone has healed but those muscles around the knee aren't as strong as they were before the fracture. Need to take care of the ligaments. More squats, lunges, bike trainer, BOSU and stretching during the week and hopefully I'll get another weekend in.

Yep, you need to ski "smarter" after this type of injury. There are days I drive to the ski area, take a look at the conditions and say "This is not worth the risk" and drive home. Better to live and fight the battle another day, than force it and be out for the rest of the season. Strong legs really help, but don't get quad dominant. Make sure you also have strong hamstrings and glutes. Heavy freeweight squats and deadlifts have been a staple of my workout since my injury. My current ortho MD has told me those heavy squats and deadlifts may be the only reason I can still ski at the level I do. When he takes a look at my R leg injury in the medical record, he has a hard time understanding how I can ski at all.

Last edited:
TS
mulva28

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Strong legs really help, but don't get quad dominant. Make sure you also have strong hamstrings and glutes. Heavy freeweight squats and deadlifts have been a staple of my workout since my injury. My current ortho MD has told me those heavy squats and deadlifts may be the only reason I can still ski at the level I do.
This will be my new normal. Going from "Ugh, leg day" to 3 leg days per week to hit all the muscles. It was depressing to see how fast the leg atrophies during the non weight bearing period. It's looking much stronger now but still needs to catch up to the good leg. It's going to take a long time.
Getting cleared to ski and watching the mountain melt away a few weeks earlier than normal could lead to bad decisions. I'm going to use the smarter approach and let the conditions dictate.
Your injury sounded awful; it's amazing that you're able to ski at all let alone at a high level.

TS
mulva28

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
It’s a serious injury, but recovery and treatment depends on whether there is displacement, how much, and whether other damage occurred. I had a non-displaced tibial plateau fracture in early March 2018, so no surgery, and I was full weight bearing 8 weeks after the injury and skiing in July. It was a much faster recovery, for obvious reasons.
I refer to the non-weight bearing period as "The Dark Times".

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I refer to the non-weight bearing period as "The Dark Times".

I agree, it was very, very difficult. And my nwb period was during a banner snow year, which had me crying about how climate change was going to make it so I'd never ski a particular line I had been eyeing that is skiable (for me) only during a big snow year (I am a little dramatic). I skied that line 2 years later.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We don't have a long thread about this specific injury but there have been many who've taken us on their journey to recovery.

Skidad63

Booting up
Skier
Tibial Plateau Fractures are one of the worst injuries you can incur as a skier. TGR Forums has a 77 page thread dedicated to this injury. It's totally blackpilling (makes you feel like there is no hope). I want to provide a better pill for those who have endured this injury.

I was on day 11 skiing Killington 12/7/2020. Was testing lunch break skiing for work timings. My idea was an 1:15 hour lunch break for skiing every day. Called last run on a foggy day where the fog just froze to goggles within a few turns. Hit a water bar on the way left side of Upper Double Dipper and double ejected. Didn't see the water bar at all (freezing fog). Skied to the new Bunny Buster Bridge and I guess the adrenaline wore off because I could not do another turn without a world of pain. Sled ride down to infirmary. Tibial Plateau Fracture diagnosed at Rutland Regional Hospital.
Surgery on 12/22/2020. Plate and 5 screws, bone graft. No weight bearing. 2 weeks later I had a follow up visit. Exercise given was heel slides. I got to 120 degrees ROM. Follow up to that was another 4 weeks of no weight bearing. 6 week visit ROM was 120+ degrees and now could partial weight bear. Now It's February 3, 2021. PT assignment given. 4 more weeks follow up visit. With COVID it took 2 weeks to get a PT appointment at this point which is now around 8 weeks since surgery. So 8 weeks, 140 degrees ROM. Let's work on strength since ROM is great. Still partial weight bearing. Worked hard with ankle weights and bands. 12 weeks, given permission to fully weight bear. Threw my crutches in the closet that day when I got home. Started single leg exercises. Next appt 5 weeks. That's late April. My PT talked to my PA on April 1 and since I was doing well, they agreed I could try skiing. 14 weeks since surgery. I have 6 days skiing now since April 1. I get fatigued but I can ski and have memorable turns. I have done Superstar, East Fall and Cascade with Spring bumps. I worked my ass off to get here but it's been worth it. I can do about 2 hours skiing before I get fatigued.
My main point here is that a Tibial Plateau Fracture is serious. Very serious. But if you do your PT and keep off the tibia while no weight bearing, you can get back to skiing. It's not a hopeless situation. I was told that my season was over but.... going skiing tomorrow.
I shattered my tibia plateau on a dirt bike in my early 20’s, I’m 58 now. I skied on this knee for 30 years with out any compromise. I finally had it replaced three years ago, and I’m still skiing.
1641664159975.jpeg

TS
mulva28

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
I shattered my tibia plateau on a dirt bike in my early 20’s, I’m 58 now. I skied on this knee for 30 years with out any compromise. I finally had it replaced three years ago, and I’m still skiing.
That's certainly encouraging! Skied my 19th day of the season today from 9-3. Ibuprofen and lots of stretching before going out, but I can't complain. It's been 1 year and 2 weeks since my surgery.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I shattered my tibia plateau on a dirt bike in my early 20’s, I’m 58 now. I skied on this knee for 30 years with out any compromise. I finally had it replaced three years ago, and I’m still skiing. View attachment 154328
You have the whole hardware store in that joint!

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's certainly encouraging! Skied my 19th day of the season today from 9-3. Ibuprofen and lots of stretching before going out, but I can't complain. It's been 1 year and 2 weeks since my surgery.
I re-read my original posts in this thread. My injury was 2017, not 2018. Things have been good for me since, and I hope they continue to be for you as well!

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Congrats! As one who has had a tibial plateau fx in both legs: Soon it’ll all be just a distant memory.
BTW; my first was a big time displaced fracture ; first run of first day of the season - opening day- at Squaw 30+ years ago. Surgery whith enough hardware to open an ACE hardware store. Second one was non displaced ( yippee) but with a torn MCL and fermur bone bruise 3 years ago.
All good now.

TS
mulva28

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Congrats! As one who has had a tibial plateau fx in both legs: Soon it’ll all be just a distant memory.
BTW; my first was a big time displaced fracture ; first run of first day of the season - opening day- at Squaw 30+ years ago. Surgery whith enough hardware to open an ACE hardware store. Second one was non displaced ( yippee) but with a torn MCL and fermur bone bruise 3 years ago.
Hearing the diagnosis of the second one and knowing what you have to go through from the experience of first one....

TS
mulva28

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Day 41 today. Spring-like conditions as it rained in the morning and we had 50 degrees and sun in the afternoon when I got out. Snow was soft, heavy and sticky. Did probably a bit more than 10k vertical over 2.5 hours and some bumps too. The knee held up really well. Very psyched about this! I was really worried these conditions would bring the pain.

TS
mulva28

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
47 days of skiing and did last weekend with no knee braces in slushy, sticky snow. No pain. Quads are close to matched in size now (15 months after the injury). I think I've had a good recovery. Hope I didn't just jinx it! My goal has always been to ski the spring bumps and I put the work in to getting here....and I'm here now! Just want to send positive messages for people who have had this injury and want to get back to skiing next season. You can do it!!! Taking this weekend off but plan to ski a 5 day Easter break next week as long as the weather in VT holds up. 50 days would be sweet!

Sponsor

Staff online