• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tibial Plateau Fracture

EasternSkiBum

Booting up
Skier
I shattered my tibia plateau on a dirt bike in my early 20’s, I’m 58 now. I skied on this knee for 30 years with out any compromise. I finally had it replaced three years ago, and I’m still skiing.

Similar story here. I had a tibial plateau at 29yo. Bone graft (only 2 screws) and meniscus repair. Had the hardware removed 10 months after original surgery. I was skiing about 3 1/2 months afterward and have continued to ski every season since. I'm now at 57yo and finally having it replaced.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
140719844.phzjsTFO.jpg

This was the middle of my three (so far) season-ending injuries. Other two were the Achilles tendons. This was from being run down from behind in December 2011. It's the left knee. Last fall I had enough pain in my right knee I was using crutches to walk. Ortho said there wasn't enough wrong to justify TKR, so I had a bunch of PT that actually helped. The left one has hurt since the surgery, but with manageable pain. Hoping to get back on skis this winter. Last winter was the first since I was five years old I didn't do some skiing. The first Achilles happened on my third day of the season, so I DID get some skiing that year.

TS
mulva28

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
@Kneale Brownson That looks pretty close to mine. Since I've been back, I spend a lot of time looking uphill before dropping in to avoid the psycho rundown situation. I'm a Killington weekend skier so I get lots of breaks (no pun intended) this way.

Best wishes on getting back to skiing this season. I'm sure you will because you did the PT and are a dedicated skier. You'll make it happen.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online