• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tiger Shaw resigning as President of U.S. Ski and Snowboard after Beijing Olympic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Link here: https://usskiandsnowboard.org/news/...d-ceo-tiger-shaw-step-down-after-beijing-2022

My thoughts: it's time.

It's past time.

Tiger did a lot to right the ills of the Marolt years, but there's been a lot of friction over the past few seasons with regard to myriad issues:

- budgetary priorities within the U.S. Ski Team Alpine squad
- disparities in access to educational resources between different divisions in U.S. Ski and Snowboard
- diversity issues a'plenty

It'll be interesting to see how the search for a successor goes. Grab the popcorn...

TS
Rudi Riet

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
“CEO Emeritus” is a unique and bizarre position. Good luck finding a new, capable actual CEO with that hanging over his head.

Well, he's young (relatively speaking) to be stepping down, and I'm guessing the negotiations for his exit required a title and a board position.

When Marolt left he was quick to distance himself from the org as they were doing a massive "re-visioning" after some seriously bad PR about money never trickling down from the upper level executives to the athletes and programs. His best move was to get out of Dodge.

The thing is that Tiger didn't offend many on the USSS board. He is... dull. Nice guy, but not a PR whiz kid. I'm guessing his successor will have more media savvy and be more of a "showperson" than him. We shall see.

TS
Rudi Riet

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
How about getting a female winter sports athlete at the helm.

I'm fairly sure they're looking that direction.

The optics with USSS with regard to women in power and pretty much all minority representation has been one of the biggest flies in the Shaw administration's ointment. Skiing in the U.S. - and it doesn't matter which discipline - is an overwhelmingly white sport and one that's dominated by male leadership, both in coaching and in administration (and I'm a white male in the coaching trenches, so I'm basically berating myself - which is totally fair).

And the established culture in alpine skiing (which is the only scene I can really speak of directly) is downright misogynist and, to be frank, homophobic. The amount of white male dominated heteronormative behavior in U.S. coaching circles is significant. There isn't a lot of "woke" anything among the old guard who dominate the higher reaches of much of U.S. alpine skiing circles. Granted, it's better than it was, say, 10 years ago, but it's still well behind the pace of mainstream society (and many mainstream U.S. sports) in terms of broadening its reach and atoning for its shortcomings in the past.

I know I'm going out on a limb saying this in the open, but it needs to be said - and loudly. Silence is not helpful here.

U.S. Ski and Snowboarding is keenly aware that optics matter, especially in the wake of the #MeToo movement and the Black Lives Matter and Asian Lives Matter movements. They can make a choice that moves them closer to reconciliation with the rest of society, or continue to keep their wagons circled and perpetuate a norm that is increasingly out of touch with the rest of the world. Time will tell, and (as I've said before) we shall see.

Last edited:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Unfortunate he is waiting for another year as effectively a lame duck - probably like several of the USST athletes, hanging on for an olympic year pay-off

But also well past time to change the structure and roles. the current set-up where Tiger is trying to be the figurehead (he cant realistically be called a leader) for both USSS and the USST is deeply flawed because there is more focus on USST than the wider membership. Time to appoint a new CEO who can truly lead the organization as a whole plus a VP for the USST reporting to the CEO with a set budget and set objectives to meet. That would support the proper focus on the different activities and ensure the fee-paying racer membership starts to get some consideration and equitable treatment as well as stopping the co-mingling and wastage of funding for multiple positions that ostensibly support the USST without much evidence..

TS
Rudi Riet

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So just disqualify all white males? Sure, that seems fair.

Not saying that at all. More implying that they shouldn't go into the same insular pool they've gone to time and again to fill high level administrative positions.

I agree that they should redesign the whole thing: find a CEO who can oversee the whole operation, with discreet leaders for national team (USST) and athlete development (USSA) activities. They need someone who is proven as a leader of a major nonprofit, not just a person who is a legacy athlete within the program. The latter is "safe," the former is the right move.

Plenty of time for a search committee to do their homework and vetting. I hope they loop in some of the membership to have actual vetting roles - not just coaches with Level 500 certifications, but others up and down the ranks.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
It is SO past time. His closest friends, many on the USSS and USST boards have been trying, very hard to get him to do this....starting a few years ago.

Was Tiger ever equipped for the job? There was virtually no search done. A limited one, at best. My understanding is that Marolt wanted an ex USST athlete, which is strange at best as a must have criteria. And the board chair at the time, who pushed the deal was a huge Tiger fan.

As far as the emeritus status, let’s NOT review Marolt’s simply obscene run-out package. Not sure what Tiger will add. By an objective measure, he is not leaving on a high note. At all.

As @ScotsSkier and @Rudi Riet note, the “big organization” needs an experienced, dynamic business leader and strategist. Preferably with significant non-profit and board experience. This is a fairly big organization and it cannot run on self driven inertia any more. This person must be able to make tough decisions, and get out of the weeds. None of that is Tiger Shaw.

Many have suggest that the organization overall, needs a CEO, and that under that person there should be a person running the USST team. Maybe a leader for each discipline, even. Tiger has been operating almost as a co-head of Alpine with Jesse Hunt. Also with Chip Knight. Not as a true CEO. Has to change.

Believe me, many on the board have been pouring over names for some time. I am quite certain that the need for the CEO to be a former USST athlete or a winter Olympian is long gone. I sure hope so.

The sport needs a LOT of change. We all know that. But the USSS AND USST do not need to champion change just for the sake of change. Does the organization need the best fit, regardless of gender? Yes. Does our CEO need to have some presence and clout with FIS, an organization truly still in the dark ages? Yep.

At any rate, this change can only be good. Looking forward to it. A year is a long time, though. I hope they get on this quickly. Good be a great job and challenge for the right leader. I hope it results in a real shakeup.

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
How about getting a female winter sports athlete at the helm.
Not that I would really care, but thing is, athletes are normally not what you need for managing parts of federation. For position like this you would be way better with proper manager, who hates cold and snow, and can't even clip skis on, regardless if he or she's white, black, yellow, green or from Mars, then with top athlete with 10 Olympic golds, who can't say a single world and has no idea how things are in business world. At those levels, it's not really about skiing but about business, and for that you need someone from business not someone who knows how to perfectly arc turn on skis.
But considering everyone rather go for retired skiers, I'm obviously wrong.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
1. I am a huge proponent of getting the best person for the job.

2. However in this current era, optics seem to be critically important and USSS (still a bad acronym--should have stuck with USSA) appears to need a serious revision, change of course, and makeover in order to be relevant and viable.

3. Several times I have directly observed specialized organizations hire highly touted business experts with impeccable credentials and experience as CEO's, only to have these purported "leaders"/managers utterly fail while nearly destroying the entities, as these individuals, despite a superb "business" resume, did not ever fully understand the unique product/culture/purpose/passion of these niche enterprises nor did they fully embrace or understand the end-users/customers/clients involved in these operations.

4. Hopefully the Board will choose wisely....

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will be watching this very closely.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
3. Several times I have directly observed specialized organizations hire highly touted business experts with impeccable credentials and experience as CEO's, only to have these purported "leaders"/managers utterly fail while nearly destroying the entities, as these individuals, despite a superb "business" resume, did not ever fully understand the unique product/culture/purpose/passion of these niche enterprises nor did they fully embrace or understand the end-users/customers/clients involved in these operations.

I've witnessed this also. "Outsider" CEOs can be good, but only if they trust the experts in the entity beneath them on matters they themselves have no expertise in. Of course, things can get very fuzzy regardless.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
after some seriously bad PR about money never trickling down from the upper level executives to the athletes and programs.

Is it any better now? Does the money actually make it to the athletes as it should or is the organization so top heavy with administration that it all gets eaten at the top?

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
4. Hopefully the Board will choose wisely....
The current board IS the problem.
If the Board was an effective body, Dan Leever would still be a member. And be my top choice to be CEO.

The shotgun marriage of the US Ski Team and the US Ski Association is fundamentally the challenge . The resulting bloat and misdirection is entirely predictable.
Looking for a CEO that can manage such divergent needs might take more than a year.

Admitting that the organization is flawed, and making needed changes first to the structure, is apparently not what they’re planning.
I wish them luck, because if they’re lucky a qualified candidate will be willing to take it on.

Last edited:
TS
Rudi Riet

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it any better now? Does the money actually make it to the athletes as it should or is the organization so top heavy with administration that it all gets eaten at the top?

As @Average Joe intimates, it's still not flowing as it should.

The Center of Excellence is a lovely building whose services are available to a privileged few. It wasn't cheap to build and even though it is LEED certified, it's not cheap to operate. What it does offer is office space for every paid employee of U.S. Ski and Snowboard under one roof - something not easily done at their old Prospector Square digs.

And they pinpoint where their spending goes, often to the detriment of their greater USST athlete pool. Again, I'm going to concentrate on alpine.

Witness "Project 2026," which is essentially "spending all our athlete development capital on River Radamus." OK, so it's not quite that, but it's very close. Radamus has a huge amount of cachet around him (it doesn't hurt that his father is a big mover and shaker in alpine racing circles) and USST is pulling out all the stops to have him as a "guaranteed" gold medal favorite at the 2026 Winter Olympics. They are spending on him like they would a member of the A team - i.e. he's not having to fundraise outside of the team to make ends meet. To wit, he is marching up the ranks, especially in GS.

And then there's "Team Mikaela." We all know that her entire training and competition setup is as a "team of one." She has her own coaches, trainers, techs, and budget from USST. Sure, her sponsors pick up a lot of expenses but her mom (who is a Level 100 coach in USSA circles, her certification dating back to 2004) is paid as a full-time coach out of USST's budget, with travel expenses and the lot covered. MS doesn't train much (if at all) with the other tech skiers on the USST: Moltzan, O'Brien, Hurt, Hensien, et al. There's no brain trust sharing happening at all - and kudos to the others for making it work even with the huge budgetary suck from Team MS.

Meanwhile, almost every other USST Development, C, and B team member is left scraping the bottom of the barrel and having to fundraise to be able to attend the competitions they need to remain in the mix. It's true that the optics of skiing in the U.S. are almost 100 percent on the quadrennial IOC showcase events and that these years are when funding is most abundant, but it also means that in the lean years (and 75 percent of competition seasons are "lean years") USST still focuses the funding on a chosen few.

And these funds also pull from the greater USSS budgets for regional athlete and coaching development. There are a lot of people on USSS/USST payroll for regional development and most of them are very good at what they do. But there are layers upon layers of administrative staff who are paid handsomely (by ski racing standards) for what amounts to part-time work as most are still coaching at their home mountains. Sure, there are some who are exclusive to USSS but not all are in this situation.

So yes, the organization needs a CEO who is adept with nonprofits and knows the budgetary realities of the winter sports world. Let this person be the chief fundraiser, much like a college or university president. Then have two leaders below this CEO: one for the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Teams, the other for the development/regional end of U.S. Ski and Snowboarding (i.e. the old USSA). Heck: call the reality what it is and divide the two up again by name. I know that their branding is trying to get rid of abbreviations and acronyms but... it doesn't serve any useful purpose right now.

Dan Leever would definitely be a possible choice but he brings with him baggage that would need to be bought into critical review. Now that he's in charge of the de facto PR machine for ski competition in the U.S., he has a bit of influence on some things coming from 1 Victory Lane. But I'm not sure what his business acumen actually is, especially with nonprofits.

Tiger Shaw was elevated to where he is now partly to placate the Eastern Region of USSA. The whole region was preparing to split away from U.S. Ski and Snowboard because most of the money and attention was staying west of the Mississippi River and they'd had enough. Tiger's lifelong standing in the Eastern Region and his "boring" nature (i.e. he wouldn't ruffle feathers) made him a strategic pick, with the USSS board saying "hey, we're picking one of your favorite people to lead the national organization - we dare you to leave with him in charge!"

The bluff worked, and USSS did, in fact, direct more attention, funds, and staffing to Eastern Region development. That said, the lion's share of this goes to Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and New York (and Vermont likely gets the most of it due to its high concentration of ski academies that feed the USST pipeline). The outlier states and divisions are left searching for scraps. The message being sent by USSS is basically: "want your kid to be considered for any development funding once they're a U16? Best to ship that kid to an academy."

It used to be that there were young athletes coming out of weird places who made the USST track without attending an academy and uprooting their social and family structures. They were able to claw their way up, maybe going to a premier program for junior or senior year of high school, thus saving their families some money and giving the athlete a more grounded social life with their hometown friends.

Nowadays? If you're a talented U16 or U19 and not racing in New England, you're as good as dead to USSS in terms of advancement opportunities. The Eastern Region is geographically huge, and its membership is large. If USSS had lost it due to politics they would've lost not only a great talent pool of athletes, but also a huge amount of funding for their overall budget.

At any rate, sorry this turned into a bit of a critical rant but I wanted to point out where things have been, where they are, and hopefully inform as to where I think things should go with U.S. Ski and Snowboard. I've been a member of USSS for 40 years now and it deserves to be great to everybody it serves, not just a prescriptive few.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
...That said, the lion's share of this goes to Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and New York (and Vermont likely gets the most of it due to its high concentration of ski academies that feed the USST pipeline). The outlier states and divisions are left searching for scraps. The message being sent by USSS is basically: "want your kid to be considered for any development funding once they're a U16? Best to ship that kid to an academy."

It used to be that there were young athletes coming out of weird places who made the USST track without attending an academy and uprooting their social and family structures. They were able to claw their way up, maybe going to a premier program for junior or senior year of high school, thus saving their families some money and giving the athlete a more grounded social life with their hometown friends.

This is getting into thread drift, but is (IMO) directly relevant to defining what "success" means for USSS.

For better or worse, the best development opportunities require lots of resources, and as sport science advances, that tends to get worse, not better. It used to be that the best high-school-age athletes were spending a little bit of time at on-snow summer camps; now, it's normal for them to be spending large chunks of their summers traveling. It used to be that those summer-camp opportunities and academy programs were largely an "older kid" (i.e. high-school age and up); now, I think most, if not all, major academy offers middle-school students some level of programming, and there are summer camps that go far younger than that (a few years back, I had U10s talking about Hood).

Every piece of literature I've seen from Park City recognizes the need to have kids play multiple sports, probably until they're chasing elite-level competition. Every coach and program director I've talked to will agree, at least in theory, and most will make some level of effort to make it work for athletes who are exceptional in multiple sports. Yet we offer year-round programming that makes doing so on an ongoing basis unrealistic and forces families to choose one sport to pursue as primary when kids are still relatively young, and strongly encourages them to do so exclusively by high school (at the latest).

From what I've heard, this isn't unique to skiing—other kids' sports are going through similar challenges, where the pressure to produce the best possible competitive results overwhelms what we know about the best possible long-term athletic development. Very few parents are going to say, "I don't care if Susie down the street is beating Jane because Susie got 14 days on snow this summer and Jane didn't"; they're going to try to get Jane on snow next summer, even if Susie and Jane are 11 years old and both going to be on close-to-even footing come late March regardless. This has an enormously unfortunate effect in terms of participation cost (in many ways, time and money being the top two) and thus participation numbers.

I have a fair number of years coaching in weekend programs, mostly affiliated with academy programs, and I've seen the difference. Athletic ability, when backed by fitness level, can make a significant impact, but two days a week plus some midweek high-school racing/training doesn't provide the same level of opportunity for athletic advancement that being on snow with high-quality coaching and training opportunities 5+ days a week does, let alone taking that academy training environment and adding prep-season (spring/summer/fall) fitness and sport-specific training. Anecdotally, I have had U16 (or J2) athletes regularly go toe-to-toe with academy kids in state-level races, but the chance of that happening in the U19 world drop off dramatically, and even those outstanding U16s often have a much more difficult time getting to midweek races or training opportunities than their age-group peers in an academy program.

If we only cared about domestic competition, we could adopt school-style limitations on out-of-season practices and total days on snow based on age level, but that's a hard argument to make as long as (insert country name here) doesn't have those limits and we'd be putting our athletes at a competitive disadvantage when they reach international competition. At the extreme, that time and effort spent during the development process can certainly have an impact, and if you combine an extreme time/effort investment with sufficient athletic talent and the right mentality, (IMO) you have the potential for an athlete to be ahead of his/her peers as they are attempting to have an impact in elite-level competition, at which point it becomes exceedingly difficult for those peers to catch up because everyone is fully invested in the process.

Is this a good thing for the sport? I don't know; I think it depends entirely on how you define success. I think that it means those who get to the top of the pyramid are better-prepared, which is critical if success is measured in terms of top-level results on the world stage. At the same time, if you want to measure success in the percentage of younger athletes who continue competing in NGB-sanctioned events throughout high school, I'd guess we're behind where we were 20 years ago. I don't know what the impact of that looks like in the long run; if those athletes continue in the sport, but on a different path (e.g. high-school racing, collegiate club racing, even competitive beer leagues as an adult), that probably doesn't adversely affect the sport. However, if they decide that they're not interested in those non-US-Team-pipeline paths and get out of the sport entirely in significant numbers, that's a problem—among other things, it's going to impact the potential next generation of coaches (particularly weekend coaches), course crew, and racing parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.