• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tiger Shaw resigning as President of U.S. Ski and Snowboard after Beijing Olympic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifer

Putting on skis
Skier
Nowadays? If you're a talented U16 or U19 and not racing in New England, you're as good as dead to USSS in terms of advancement opportunities.

A number of statements in Rudi's post were surprising.

Without a desire to drift the thread...

A deeper dive into the suggestion there's a lack of support for U16/U19 athletes outside the East will reflect this is simply just not true. And frankly, with or without Tiger at the helm, the East continues to lag behind Rocky and West from a development standpoint.

And, based on the Shiffrin model of success, Mom's L100 status is absolutely irrelavant. She has coached her daughter throughout - to be the greatest female SL skier in history. If mom was a 'level 0' her results as a coach must still be lauded and mom's involvement proves to be a necessary part of the environment.

TS
Rudi Riet

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A deeper dive into the suggestion there's a lack of support for U16/U19 athletes outside the East will reflect this is simply just not true. And frankly, with or without Tiger at the helm, the East continues to lag behind Rocky and West from a development standpoint.

If I were to rewrite the quoted sentence it would add "If you're a talented U16 or U19 in the Eastern Division and not racing in New England...," but there is a developmental lag, without a doubt.

Part of this is likely due to the fact that there is a far denser USSA licensed population in the Eastern Division and the same amount of funds given to western divisions. Same money parsed among more athletes and... well, you can see where that ends up.

Also there's the elephant in the corner of the room: speed training, or lack thereof. The number of truly great homologated speed tracks in the east is amazingly tiny and getting smaller as resorts and/or programs let their homologations lapse. Speed is dangerous and requires extra safety measures, for sure, and there's increased liability for any ski area that is home to a homologated trail.

But this leaves athletes in the east starving for regular, high quality speed training and competition opportunities. The super-G events held in the east are, by and large, disappointing compared to the competitions held in Rocky, Intermountain, Northern, PNSA, and Far West. And downhill? Fuhgeddaboutit. The track at Sugarloaf is great, but is it the same caliber as anything in the west? Not really. The homologated track at Whiteface, Skyward, is fine but also not a big challenge compared to the tracks in the west.

So yes, there are discrepancies and the east still has to fight for the funding from the mothership. There's no lack of coaching talent of high level programs in the Eastern Division, but distance from Park City still hurts them.

And, based on the Shiffrin model of success, Mom's L100 status is absolutely irrelavant. She has coached her daughter throughout - to be the greatest female SL skier in history. If mom was a 'level 0' her results as a coach must still be lauded and mom's involvement proves to be a necessary part of the environment.

Yes, Eileen is part of the puzzle that is "Team Mikaela," and that's fine. But most - if not all - coaches within the USST Alpine system are at least a Level 300 out of principle. Eileen has been given a pass because she came up with her daughter, first as chaperone and now as a key piece of the puzzle. Remember: MS was evolving toward traveling without her Mom as part of the team at the start of the 2019-20 season. When Dad died, it sealed the deal to have Eileen continue as a full-time presence.

There are a lot of things with Eileen's presence that seem off, especially that she insists on getting as much funding from the USST budget as possible. This is where the whole "Team Mikaela" model really rankles many USSA dues paying members. When the USST had "team of one" setups in the past, many of these athletes sourced the extra funding needed to make this happen from external sources (mostly their top-tier sponsors). The Shiffrin setup is doing it the other way around, trying to source as much funding as they can from the USST budget. This takes away from every other athlete on the USST - and especially B Team members who are qualified to compete on the World Cup and Europa Cup circuits yet have to pay a ton of money out of pocket because the USST says "sorry, we're all out of funding."

And all of this evolved under the eye of Tiger Shaw and his immediate support staff. It happened without question because Mikaela is the once-in-a-generation Wunderkind who wins all the time. And as she wasn't as free spirited as Bode Miller, she fit the mould of the All-American Good Kid™ who can be held up as a role model, sell pasta, etc. Tiger being one who has never rocked the boat, he let it slide and the USST board similarly let it slide.

There are a lot of us with skin in the game (albeit at a lower level) who saw the millions of dollars being thrown at a few A Team athletes and their entourages resulting in funds not going to development at the lower levels. In essence: the Little League team was being suffocated, the minor league team was being told to do more work with less money, and the tip-top elites were given the keys to the corporate jet. Optically it may work for the generic viewer who only tunes in for the quadrennial IOC showcase, but it also leaves the future of alpine ski racers in the U.S. scrambling to find ways to make things work.

And what it does more than anything else is cement ski racing's reputation as a sport only accessible to those with deep pockets. As such, we won't see as many skiers like Bode Miller, Phil and Steve Mahre, Cindy Nelson, Picabo Street, et al, unless they find a benefactor in the form of a scholarship to an elite ski academy. Otherwise, they won't be able to keep up with those who have the means to fund the year-round training and its inherent travel costs, the fleet of skis (sponsorships aren't what they used to be in this regard), the coaching both on-snow and off, etc.

U.S. Ski and Snowboarding has its work cut out for it in finding a new President who can face these realities head on, with candor, and with an eye toward expanding the accessibility of all sports under the USSS umbrella while expending the access to funding (and raising more stable funding) and, to @Primoz's point, still maintain a constructive relationship with the FIS. It's not an easy position to fill, and it will require a leader who is willing to get his or her feet wet and/or muddy, willing to get bludgeoned by the press and by the membership, is willing to be an active and empathetic listener, and willing to take strong stands where necessary.

Yes, the current USSS Board of Trustees is a big spanner in the works in this process, but hopefully they can see the forest for the trees and realize that staying their current course will not stave the bleeding that's already happening in the junior development ranks and is forcing some real talent to abandon the sport. Hopefully somebody is pointing out that the emperor has no clothes and that they need to work to re-energize and grow their ecosystem.

As i've said many times already: we shall see.

Just my $0.02 - YMMV.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Putting the funding issue aside, do you think Team Shiffrin working separately from the other racers stifles the growth of the women's team as a whole? There are teams of one elsewhere (Pintu, Kristoffersen, others I'm sure) but we can also see how united teams can thrive: I'm looking at the Italian women (not sure how the men operate but I assume the same) and Norway in general. Both have deep benches, even if sadly Norway was hit hard by injuries this season. How do Switzerland and Austria function in terms of young skier development and team cohesion?

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Typically the answer is yes. More often than not the group benefits as a whole compared to how they would fare collectively with the solo team model. This logically makes sense when the solo team model is typically the strongest racer, so having the rest of the group training with them would benefit the rest of the group. However the question is does the strongest individual benefit more or not? This is mixed as some racers thrive in a group dynamic and the collective push from the entire team pushed them to improve further than they would be able to as a solo team. However there are also athletes that would be "pulled down" by the group instead of lifted higher. All depends on so many dynamics it's hard to generalize.

That being said, imagine a setup where everything and everybody there has the sole focus on helping you improve as an athlete. You do the things you need to do that benefit only you, enviorments are created specifically for what you are doing during a particular training phase, what your plans are for competition schedule, etc. No compromises, everything geared to you. Many cases where exactly this has happened and it has produced some great athletes.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
My understanding is that they have narrowed Tiger's replacement down to a group of four finalists. Interviews taking place this past week, and I believe over the weekend. I also believe that a number of fairly "big names" in the ski world were very interested and did NOT make the cut. I'm hearing that, for example, NONE are former USST athletes. While that was a must when Dexter Paine effectively hired Tiger, and something that Marolt pushed for, it's likely a drawback now.

The committee working to make this selection is quite large, with a lot of athlete {current and present} representation. I believe that the interviews have been very lengthy and anything but superficial. They are looking at skilled leaders.

They need to nail this. I believe they will. Then, the changes will begin and I am confident that many "old guard" and insider heads will roll.

It's about time........

KingMouth

Booting up
Skier
I saw some news on the feed while reading the AC article linked above. I'd love to hear comments from the insiders.

New USSS President

It sounds like she is the quintessential outsider.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
I saw some news on the feed while reading the AC article linked above. I'd love to hear comments from the insiders.

New USSS President

It sounds like she is the quintessential outsider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor