• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
30 new snow guns have been installed.
Nothing about lights at this point. My guess is if they haven't started on them yet, that will be next year.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
I was told they have been working on replacing the snowmaking pipes on Dew Drop and doing lift maintenance.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Low 30s in the Valley this morning. We are getting closer
Farmers Almanac says we are in for a decent winter..Arctic Sea Ice Extent is higher now than any year since 2006..Antarctic Ice is at near record high extents which thru the gloom and doom of 24/7 News headlines gives me hope that Mother Nature is fighting back!...

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
They’ll be snow making in Cherry Bowl at this point…

Timberline did quite well last season despite some pipe issues on Almost Heaven. It will be interesting to see how they do this year with all the new pipes, electrical cables, and guns that have been installed this summer and fall. I am hoping they have most of the signature runs open by 1 January, if not sooner.

BTW, we are supposed to get some decent polar vortex action this winter—perfect for snowmaking and also lake effect

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
BTW, we are supposed to get some decent polar vortex action this winter—perfect for snowmaking and also lake effect

Where did you get the polar vortex info? From what I’ve read on Cap Weather Gang, signs of instability, but too early to tell.

Agree that polar vortex would likely bring periods of cold, maybe extreme cold, but how does that influence lake effect for CV? From what I understand, Canadian clippers over unfrozen Great Lakes is classic pattern for lake effect. But vortex could freeze Great Lakes early and La Nina seems to hint at colder northern US.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Direct Weather mentioned them:

Admittedly, you always have to take long term forecasts with a big grain of salt, but we can dream nonetheless.

Last edited:

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Weather chatter is of the la Nina being stronger than FCasted this Winter...by the books that factor alone should not be great for Canaan as the Jet stream tends to stay north of us and we don't get those nice Eastern troughs but there is talk as JF posted of some instability that could spawn a PV or 2 but it wasn't clear to me as to which side of the Northern Hemi any would head to..they could slide down into Asia..dunno..above my pay grade!......I did look up two past Winters that had strong la Nina Winters in Canaan and 07/08 had 155 inches and 10/11 had a whopping 215!...
.....I read all these Winter FCasts every year but they never turn out like they think..not for Canaan at least..too many variables..too many Tricks up Mama Nature's sleeve....I look at arctic sea ice and Northern Hemisphere snow cover which are doing good so far..Arctic still below Average but better than the last 10 years and Snow cover well above average which sets up the cold storage tank...
.....right now the pattern looks Nina like and it's been warmer than average..my Mower Dude up there is still taking my beer money from me!...but I'm always bullheaded and think that the pattern will be shaken out by "Something"..maybe Nina peaks and then as it weakens we get a huge 2nd half!!....Stay tuned...Think Snow!!!...

Last edited:

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Direct Weather mentioned them:

Admittedly, you always have to take long term forecasts with a big grain of salt, but we can dream nonetheless.
Wow .what did DW FCast for last year?...they/he is an outlier for sure...typical map for La Nina takes all his zones and expands them north a few hundred miles..
....I'll Take it!...

Sponsor

Staff online