• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Snow stopped around 2 PM, but wind didn’t. Some of the worst wind I’ve encountered there in 20 years, stopped full-grown adults in their tracks in front of the lodge. The Sally runout was a treat.

Some PM pix of OTW. Some deep drifts this AM. Back side of whales are pretty icy, 21BB9105-6D65-4733-AA18-E81A8C88F7A2.jpeg 7CE0EBC4-8A77-4048-AA52-2896AE2BE9DD.jpeg D386A93A-F1E1-4559-B451-F324D6B313B9.jpeg as they tend to get.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I remember a super cold day there with wind that blew us backwards UP the flattest part of Salamander of we stood straight up and spread our arms out. FWIW it was pretty windy down here today. How's it skiing overall there now? Really happy they have reliable lifts and infrastructure now :cool:

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Cold, windy, tough visibility but oh so good. Shoveling out this am took longer than expected, so didn’t hit the chair until 9:20. Main lines tracked up by 9:30 - powder hounds out today. Still, first run down OTW did not suck badly. Some major wind drifts in spots.

Hoping for free refills today. I’ll take some pix if I get ambitious.
I may actually be able to make it out on Tuesday - some stuff still has to align so we will see. I thought maybe the blizzard like conditions would keep the crowds away a bit and preserve some untracked but that's the Mid-A for ya. How's the coverage in trees up top?

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I may actually be able to make it out on Tuesday - some stuff still has to align so we will see. I thought maybe the blizzard like conditions would keep the crowds away a bit and preserve some untracked but that's the Mid-A for ya. How's the coverage in trees up top?
Rock skis only. Too much downed debris that needs to be cleared. But if we get the 2-4 of lake effect tonight, trails alone would be worth it.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
SNOW STOPPED AROUND 2 PM... but wind didn’t. Some of the worst wind I’ve encountered there in 20 years, stopped full-grown adults in their tracks in front of the lodge. The Sally runout was a treat.

Some PM pix of OTW. Some deep drifts this AM. Back side of whales are pretty icy, View attachment 155559 View attachment 155560 View attachment 155561 as they tend to get.
Snow picked back up an hour or so after 2pm...now 16.4 inches as of 7pm...let it snow!!!

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rock skis only. Too much downed debris that needs to be cleared. But if we get the 2-4 of lake effect tonight, trails alone would be worth it.
Main lines have a lot of rocks and wood. But if you you figure out where the wind blows, there are some real deep pockets of snow in tight spaces. But still expect to hit stuff.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ok - thanks for the heads up.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
About 2 in overnight - since Fish’s post, for those heading down on Tuesday. Likely some wind buff also.

Back to paying the ski bills for me.
Probably 19 inches total...I figured the backside would be pretty strong with this storm..but who could tell with all the wind!...maybe some softer user friendly snows coming soon...

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
Seem to recall some water bar issues on that trail? Saw some people poaching on Monday afternoon.

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Paige Perfect just added to a FB post, they are having electrical issues. They are working hard to get them repaired so they can open Almost Heaven. It is not a water leak.
She also said there will be night skiing next year. Not my thing but some like it.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Paige Perfect just added to a FB post, they are having electrical issues. They are working hard to get them repaired so they can open Almost Heaven. It is not a water leak.
Hopefully they will get it fixed before the next cold wave arrives Friday. Lower Heaven is open. It’s just Upper Heaven that remains closed. Not a huge deal all in all. It’s nearly identical to Upper Dew Drop.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Snow stopped around 2 PM, but wind didn’t. Some of the worst wind I’ve encountered there in 20 years, stopped full-grown adults in their tracks in front of the lodge. The Sally runout was a treat.

Some PM pix of OTW. Some deep drifts this AM. Back side of whales are pretty icy, View attachment 155559 View attachment 155560 View attachment 155561 as they tend to get.
JohnL,

Snow picked back up after my CC on Monday. With the wind and snow, everything just kept filling back in. Last five runs of the day were just Heavenly.

Kids skied on Tuesday and said it was a bit crunchy. But who knows, they're a bit spoiled.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Has anyone here stayed at the Alpine Lodge? Opinions? I don't care if it is dated or older or whatever, just looking for a clean place to stay.

Sponsor

Staff online