• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
JohnL,

Snow picked back up after my CC on Monday. With the wind and snow, everything just kept filling back in. Last five runs of the day were just Heavenly.

Kids skied on Tuesday and said it was a bit crunchy. But who knows, they're a bit spoiled.
Snow picking up a little this aft..lake effect from that cold air moving in...saw it forming on the radar loops last nite..I call it Stealth Snow because it wasn't in the Forecast ...at least none I saw..

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
It's been snowing on and off all day. Maybe an 1" or a little more. Nice conversation snow, working so I didn't get a chance to ski it.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Plenty of non-crunchy snow available on Tuesday.
WGO,
I'm sure sure the skiing was off the charts on Tuesday, as I said my kids are spoiled.

Glad you you made the trek to the Land of Milk and Honey.
I thought you might skiing the Nut on Tuesday and was going to send you pm so you could check on one of my @ jimmy trained at kids. He said skiing at the Nut was pretty good.

Last edited:

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Glad you you made the trek to the Land of Milk and Honey.
I thought you might skiing the Nut on Tuesday and was going to send you pm so you could check on one of my @ jimmy trained at kids. He said skiing at the Nut was pretty good.
Yeah, didn't think we were going to make it out to TM - really glad things worked out. I'll probably be at MNut for a couple hours on Monday or Tuesday.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Frosty Frost pocket in the Valley!...

Attachments

• FJtFyjdWYAMQlLj.jpeg
    FJtFyjdWYAMQlLj.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 6

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Gotta be a misread... it's 9 in Davis and there's no way it's 40 degrees colder a few miles away.
From Dave Lesher's site

Clear, calm and very cold. low temperature -8F.

The Virginia Tech weather research site in the north end of Canaan Valley measured a low temperature of -30.7F at 7:56AM. This exceeds the Valley's all-time low temperature of -27F recorded at the official Canaan Valley cooperative weather station on January 21, 1985. Record-keeping of daily temperatures in Canaan Valley began in July, 1944

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
From Dave Lesher's site

Clear, calm and very cold. low temperature -8F.

The Virginia Tech weather research site in the north end of Canaan Valley measured a low temperature of -30.7F at 7:56AM. This exceeds the Valley's all-time low temperature of -27F recorded at the official Canaan Valley cooperative weather station on January 21, 1985. Record-keeping of daily temperatures in Canaan Valley began in July, 1944
Coldest down low in the Frost Pockets..a little warmer as you gain elevation to an extent..

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Has anyone here stayed at the Alpine Lodge? Opinions? I don't care if it is dated or older or whatever, just looking for a clean place to stay.

My son and I stayed there one midweek night last season. Room was basic but clean. The setup is a motel but with the walkways enclosed; those areas were not well kept, some of the access doors were out of true. This was during peak covid worry time so I want to give them the benefit of a doubt that staffing was an issue.

Evan's Dad

Evan's Dad :)
Skier
Hey there! Didn't know about this forum; more activity here than on DC Ski. Did anyone else ski Timberline this past weekend Jan 22-23? I would be interested to get your take on the experience. It was really crowded, but the 6-pack line moved pretty quickly and I thought the mountain didn't really seem particularly congested. Great snow and all around good time! My almost 5 yo is gravitating to the trees and taking me along with him; he's picking it up quickly! :)

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Was there Saturday morning. Did a quick 7 runs and then left to do chores and other work around my place.

The six pack can accommodate a lot of people and the staff is getting better loading it. With that said, some kids and never evers still can gum up the works. I witnessed more than a few loading disasters, including one kid who slipped off just after lift off—fortunately no injuries.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
My almost 5 yo is gravitating to the trees and taking me along with him; he's picking it up quickly! :)
Careful! In a few years he might be taking you into the trees regardless of whether there is enough snow or not...

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
The six pack can accommodate a lot of people and the staff is getting better loading it.
The last time I was there on a weekend (Dec 19/20) there was not a lot of active line management - is this improving? I can imagine there being a learning curve for this season, since last season there was not an emphasis on fully loading the chairs due to the pandemic.

Evan's Dad

Skier
The last time I was there on a weekend (Dec 19/20) there was not a lot of active line management - is this improving? I can imagine there being a learning curve for this season, since last season there was not an emphasis on fully loading the chairs due to the pandemic.
Yes, it's gotten much better since Christmas weekend. The lifties are managing the lines pretty well. I was happily surprised.

Reactions: wgo

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Yes, it's gotten much better since Christmas weekend. The lifties are managing the lines pretty well. I was happily surprised.

It’s better than Christmas but there’s always some room for improvement. ;) Since they only have one summit lift, they need to keep it fully loaded and minimize stops. Management seems to be aware of the issue and are working with the lift attendants to improve matters. I often see a manager at the bottom station working to keep things running smoothly. Managing crowds of skiers is no easy job.

Hayben

Booting up
Skier
If anyone is there his week, are they blowing on the large terrain park? Asking for the younger generation :cool:
Large terrain park is open as a blue slope. There no terrain features. Not sure why they are not building it out. Last year was AWSOME!
If anyone is there his week, are they blowing on the large terrain park? Asking for the younger generation :cool:

Evan's Dad

Skier
It’s better than Christmas but there’s always some room for improvement. ;) Since they only have one summit lift, they need to keep it fully loaded and minimize stops. Management seems to be aware of the issue and are working with the lift attendants to improve matters. I often see a manager at the bottom station working to keep things running smoothly. Managing crowds of skiers is no easy job.
Agreed! I'm just happy that I see improvement every time out. A sign of good management IMO...

Sponsor

Staff online