• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
Just walked across mid-mountain. Correct me if I'm wrong, but last year Almost Heaven only had portable snow guns, with maybe two pole cats near the top. Today, I could see 8 - 10 (guessing on the top two) going up Almost Heaven from Mid-Mountain. Looks promising.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Just walked across mid-mountain. Correct me if I'm wrong, but last year Almost Heaven only had portable snow guns, with maybe two pole cats near the top. Today, I could see 8 - 10 (guessing on the top two) going up Almost Heaven from Mid-Mountain. Looks promising.

My understanding is that AH had electrical issues last year—hence the lackluster snowmaking on it. I also don’t think it had towers. It seems like the snowmaking strategy is for the resort to be able to get all signature trails open before the Christmas holidays, if not sooner, and then be able to re-coat quickly after thaws. We’re getting another La Nina this year, which means a winter similar to the last two. That means we’ll get our fair share of snow but also rain and warm spells. All this extra firepower should help the mountain survive the warm spells and thrive when we get snow—everything will be open and blown snow from the guns will make the woods more skiable.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My understanding is that AH had electrical issues last year—hence the lackluster snowmaking on it. I also don’t think it had towers. It seems like the snowmaking strategy is for the resort to be able to get all signature trails open before the Christmas holidays, if not sooner, and then be able to re-coat quickly after thaws. We’re getting another La Nina this year, which means a winter similar to the last two. That means we’ll get our fair share of snow but also rain and warm spells. All this extra firepower should help the mountain survive the warm spells and thrive when we get snow—everything will be open and blown snow from the guns will make the woods more skiable.
The poaching on AH was superb, esp on the MLK? weekend storm. Or so some of my scofflaw friends claimed… One bene of subpar infra.

With the expanded snowmaking, I expect Twister to get a lot more attention. It seems to be a fan favorite.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
@JohnL I am sure you have seen all the action on the skier’s right on Dew Drop—folks jumping off the embankments (sometimes in a dangerous manner). If AH is open more, will we see more of that? Are the woods between AH and DD skiable?

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
They certainly know the value of a robust snowmaking system. I think the math at Perfect North works out to 2 snow guns per acre but I think it a lot of places its more like 3-4.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
@JohnL I am sure you have seen all the action on the skier’s right on Dew Drop—folks jumping off the embankments (sometimes in a dangerous manner). If AH is open more, will we see more of that? Are the woods between AH and DD skiable?
Pretty sure I skied those trees with JohnL and Dr. Dave back in the day, but tbh I always confuse those trees in my memory with the ones between AH and Thunderstruck.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Up high, main route is a bike/hiking path from DD back to DD. So AH won’t effect DD there. Below that, lots of crap in the trees. Send the snow boarders there.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty sure I skied those trees with JohnL and Dr. Dave back in the day, but tbh I always confuse those trees in my memory with the ones between AH and Thunderstruck.
Thunder from Heaven used to be it before the clueless tree drops (with no cleanup). Above the tourist entrance. Yeah, brought you in there in the past.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
Thunder from Heaven used to be it before the clueless tree drops (with no cleanup). Above the tourist entrance. Yeah, brought you in there in the past.
I have to think they will drag/cut up all those tree they fell last fall to the left of the 6 pack on the way up. I was guessing they ran out of time. But, it might be their way of keep people skiing the trees.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
So, to summarize the snowmaking improvements on the top to bottom runs:

AH - Mounted Snowguns added
Twister - Additional Mounted Snowguns added
WL - Mounted snowguns replaced with more powerful snowguns

And all this is supported by larger diameter pipes? Is that a correct summary?

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
So, to summarize the snowmaking improvements on the top to bottom runs:

AH - Mounted Snowguns added
Twister - Additional Mounted Snowguns added
WL - Mounted snowguns replaced with more powerful snowguns

And all this is supported by larger diameter pipes? Is that a correct summary?
That sounds about right. Small terrain park also looked like it had new pipe installed, and yesterday they were digging in the area of piping on lower Sally.

Also, lights are going up around the base, I didn't see anything further up.

2nd magic carpet is in the parking lot, heard earlier on this thread going to the beginner area.

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bottom half of the mountain will be lit. I dont see the lights but my understanding is its pretty easy/quick because the electricity is already there. They have been doing a ton of tree trimming which may be related to the lights. They are mulching the branches as they trim.

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lights on small terrain park area. Not sure how long these have been up.

Attachments

• 20220821_090302.jpg
    20220821_090302.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220821_090454.jpg
    20220821_090454.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220821_090628.jpg
    20220821_090628.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 19

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
They have done alot of tree trimming.

Attachments

• 20220821_093439.jpg
    20220821_093439.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220821_093454.jpg
    20220821_093454.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220821_093709.jpg
    20220821_093709.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 21

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
Most of the tree trimming seemed reasonable. I took a couple pictures where it seemed extreme.
I didn't go up, but it appeared two of the polecat poles had been moved away from the woods into the trail on upper Whitelighting. Did you happen to notice that?