• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
They say they’ve already made half as much snow as they made all of last season. Looks like whatever is open will be nice.
I have grown old waiting to hear that.(Skiing Timberline since early 90's) ..better late than never but luckily not too late..see ya on the slopes!

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pics from this afternoon.

Attachments

• 20221120_160422.jpg
    20221120_160422.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20221120_160419.jpg
    20221120_160419.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20221120_160416.jpg
    20221120_160416.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20221120_160035.jpg
    20221120_160035.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20221120_160020.jpg
    20221120_160020.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20221120_154703.jpg
    20221120_154703.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20221120_154652.jpg
    20221120_154652.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20221120_154407.jpg
    20221120_154407.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20221120_154405.jpg
    20221120_154405.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20221120_154230.jpg
    20221120_154230.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20221120_154228.jpg
    20221120_154228.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 26

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
They pushed out alot of whales last night. Working on the 2nd carpet today. Repositioning mobile guns. Cleaning off the decks this afternoon. I cant make it but hope some of you guys are out there Wednesday at 9AM. I'll start my season on Friday.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
They pushed out alot of whales last night. Working on the 2nd carpet today. Repositioning mobile guns. Cleaning off the decks this afternoon. I cant make it but hope some of you guys are out there Wednesday at 9AM. I'll start my season on Friday.
Same, be there Friday night for the weekend. Enjoy everyone

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
So 70% of the slopes open tomorrow ( Wednesday)?
Teasing myself about driving down and skiing TM for the first time. Maps says it’s about 2:40 hr. from my house. Dry roads tomorrow too.
Thats about an hr. longer than I would like but decent skiing at Thanksgiving is a rarity so I’m telling myself go do it.
Our opening at Seven Springs looks to be wet!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So 70% of the slopes open tomorrow ( Wednesday)?
Teasing myself about driving down and skiing TM for the first time. Maps says it’s about 2:40 hr. from my house. Dry roads tomorrow too.
Thats about an hr. longer than I would like but decent skiing at Thanksgiving is a rarity so I’m telling myself go do it.
Our opening at Seven Springs looks to be wet!
Note that as I read it, it's only open for season pass holders...

So if you're one of those... Do it! That's about how far I drive every time I go there.

Now that I think about it, maybe they should have made the season pass holders thing more obvious... I wonder how many non pass holders are going to show.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Note that as I read it, it's only open for season pass holders...

So if you're one of those... Do it! That's about how far I drive every time I go there.

Now that I think about it, maybe they should have made the season pass holders thing more obvious... I wonder how many non pass holders are going to show.
Someone asked this on the TLM facebook page, and TLM's answer is that Sneak Peek day and Preview Weekend are open to all guests, not just passholders.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Someone asked this on the TLM facebook page, and TLM's answer is that Sneak Peek day and Preview Weekend are open to all guests, not just passholders.
Oh! Thanks. The way it's written is awkward. When they specifically say "All season pass levels will be eligible to ski and snowboard on Preview Weekend..." it makes it sound like those are the only folks who can ski, otherwise why even mention it?

Hmm.... I could potentially be there Sunday.... gotta think about that.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks guys
I agree it is confusing the way it is listed regarding the Wednesday preview day.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Their marketing folks really missed out not calling it Sneak Peak day.
Well I bought an online ticket and will be on my way to Wild Wonderful West Va. tomorrow AM. Hopefully a good bit of the terrain will be open!

Never been there. I think it’s great what the new ownership has done at Timberline and glad to support that with my first visit.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well I bought an online ticket and will be on my way to Wild Wonderful West Va. tomorrow AM. Hopefully a good bit of the terrain will be open!

Never been there. I think it’s great what the new ownership has done at Timberline and glad to support that with my first visit.
Looking forward to a review/report!

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just got back from TM opening day. Skied from 9-12:30. First time there, and a very favorable impression was made. First off the area is really pretty. The valley and the mountain is very picturesque.
The slopes have a nice continuous fall line. Today‘s conditions were pretty good. 100% man made but skied well. Maybe just a tad chunky on White Lightning, but we’re skiing at Thanksgiving!
I looked back up White Lightning after stopping after the steeper part, and thought to myself the slope reminded me of Riva Ridge at Vail’s initial steeper part.
Pretty impressive for skiing in West Va.
Definitely will go back when conditions are full on and everything is open. There were only maybe a handful of people in the lift line and you can get in a lot of turns in a few hours.
I could see peak times and holidays as being pretty crowded though.
Anyway worth the effort to drive down. It‘s only 140 miles from my house and Maps indicated would take 2 hr. 40 min. Thought I would get there in 2:15 for that distance.
Took all of 2:40 . The last 60 miles in there you aren’t going to be driving very fast.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just to add a couple of notes to Roundturns trip report...
Daily ticket prices have gone up this year to $95 per day ($100 once tax is added) from $85 last year. They're doing the same "credit back to your card" as last year, i.e. if you go during the week they credit $10 of the ticket price back onto your card. Yesterday they were doing a double deal, so it was $20 back on my kid's card - so that was nice.

There were glitches with getting everyone's pass to work as it was opening day, but customer service was fantastic and kept everything running smoothly.

The food prices and food seem to be the same as last year, which is a good thing as in cheap. We bought chicken nuggets, 2 orders of fries, soup, drinks and a chicken sandwich for $39 bucks. We were trying to do the math on how much that would cost us at a Vail resort.

They look like they have a really solid base built up on the hill as the trails that were open skied really nice. We were worried that as the day went on and the temps rose (51 in the parking lot when we left at 2 pm) that the runs would get too soft. That never happened.

It was nice that not many folks were there. When we showed up at 9 am, the parking lot was about 1/4 filled - maybe. Lots of high speed runs to be had as there was usually no traffic in front of you on any run.

Looking forward to another great season and for more terrain to open up. I think that was earliest that I've ever skied in the mid-Atlantic before.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Just to add a couple of notes to Roundturns trip report...
Daily ticket prices have gone up this year to $95 per day ($100 once tax is added) from $85 last year. They're doing the same "credit back to your card" as last year, i.e. if you go during the week they credit $10 of the ticket price back onto your card. Yesterday they were doing a double deal, so it was $20 back on my kid's card - so that was nice.

There were glitches with getting everyone's pass to work as it was opening day, but customer service was fantastic and kept everything running smoothly.

The food prices and food seem to be the same as last year, which is a good thing as in cheap. We bought chicken nuggets, 2 orders of fries, soup, drinks and a chicken sandwich for $39 bucks. We were trying to do the math on how much that would cost us at a Vail resort.

They look like they have a really solid base built up on the hill as the trails that were open skied really nice. We were worried that as the day went on and the temps rose (51 in the parking lot when we left at 2 pm) that the runs would get too soft. That never happened.

It was nice that not many folks were there. When we showed up at 9 am, the parking lot was about 1/4 filled - maybe. Lots of high speed runs to be had as there was usually no traffic in front of you on any run.

Looking forward to another great season and for more terrain to open up. I think that was earliest that I've ever skied in the mid-Atlantic before.
Well...100 buck tickets?...my savings account is shrinking without any withdrawals!...ya gotta pay to play and the folks doing the work up there need some good money in their pockets so all is good..
.....Heck of a temp inversion this AM...near 40 at the top with temps in the teens and low 20's at the Valley floor...at 630 this morn I saw 9.6 at the Frost pocket station at the north end of the Valley...Happy Thxgiving..stay comfy and full!

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well...100 buck tickets?...my savings account is shrinking without any withdrawals!...ya gotta pay to play and the folks doing the work up there need some good money in their pockets so all is good..
.....Heck of a temp inversion this AM...near 40 at the top with temps in the teens and low 20's at the Valley floor...at 630 this morn I saw 9.6 at the Frost pocket station at the north end of the Valley...Happy Thxgiving..stay comfy and full!
I’m over 60 so I catch a break on the ticket and I guess my next ticket I’ll get for less because I was there yesterday?
I looked at the Holiday Valley website and their tickets are up from last year as well and the good news bad news at HV you need to be 70 to get a senior rate and I’m too young(lol).
I have the Epic Pass which is now good at my home hill, Seven Springs and covers me when I go west. But no doubt skiing is not cheap.
I’d guess that $39 lunch described above would be 3X more at Vail and not any better.
I think it’s fantastic what the Perfects have done and undertaken at TM. Feel good about supporting it a bit and making the effort to go down.
The ski terrain there IMHO is really good. Will be back in January or hopefully sooner when it’s full on.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January