• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
They blew a lot of snow Saturday night and they re-opened the Drop and Almost Heaven yesterday. The snow and the whales on AH were a lot of fun.

There were even mini whales on Sally.

Evan's Dad

Evan's Dad :)
Skier
Really nice conditions today. The couple of inches of new snow mixed with snowmaking made for a fun surface. There were a few spots along the sides where the snow was deeper. WL skiers right, near the old silver streak, had a heavy ungroomed surface that I thought skied well. OTW was groomed but still pretty fun - still hope to see some nice moguls there this season!
I don't know what their "secret ingredient" is for their snow, but I don't remember ever skiing nicer (mostly) man-made snow anywhere else.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
TL web page mentioned they left a few snowmaking mounds alone for "a more varied terrain experience". Sound like AH was what they were talking about.

SCWVA

Skier
I don't know what their "secret ingredient" is for their snow, but I don't remember ever skiing nicer (mostly) man-made snow anywhere else.

Cold temps is the difference.

Huge difference in the quality of the snow between Saturday and Sunday.

Last edited:

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Cold temps is the difference.

Huge difference in the quality of the snow between Saturday and Sunday.
I assume you are saying it was better on Sunday? I thought it was really good on Saturday.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I assume you are saying it was better on Sunday? I thought it was really good on Saturday.
But perhaps I biased by how heavenly one of my runs on Saturday was.

SCWVA

Skier
On Saturday, WL was a blast and OTW was good in the am, but The Drop wasn't open.

On Sunday, they reopened The Drop and they had blown a lot of snow all over the mtn. They also reopened AH which was by far the best run of the day. Can't complain beautiful sunny weather.

Reactions: wgo

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier

Check out the 7 min mark - Come on Snow
Fresh off the press .latest Euro model 10 day snow output..26 inches at 10/1 snow ratio ...GFS came in 1 inch shy of that and the Canadian model was the big bear showing only 12 inches but showed up to 20 inches from Snowshoe and a little further south of there...I'll take it..

Attachments

• us_model-en_modez_2023011812_240_4682_323.png
    us_model-en_modez_2023011812_240_4682_323.png
    125.7 KB · Views: 20

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Fresh off the press .latest Euro model 10 day snow output..26 inches at 10/1 snow ratio ...GFS came in 1 inch shy of that and the Canadian model was the big bear showing only 12 inches but showed up to 20 inches from Snowshoe and a little further south of there...I'll take it..
In my experience some of that snow the models show will actually be a mix of sleet and ice.
...Canaan usually beats the 10/1 liquid to snow ratio these models show but these storms moving in are the rain to snow type so not so much this period..
...I'm hoping we get one to come in just right for an all snow event...sick of these cookie cutter...cut to the lakes storms that just give us their backside...

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Keeping an eye on this. Next 2 weekends are booked with non-skiing obligations but I may take a day off midweek (Jan 31 or Feb 1) if things look good.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Keeping an eye on this. Next 2 weekends are booked with non-skiing obligations but I may take a day off midweek (Jan 31 or Feb 1) if things look good.
Teaser....East Coast in the house baby!!

Attachments

• gfs_asnow_neus_65.png
    gfs_asnow_neus_65.png
    192.7 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: wgo

SCWVA

Skier
Wonder if TLM knew that the FCPS holiday would be bigger than MLK weekend?

Both overflow parking lots were overflowing on Saturday. Probably need to build a parking garage. :)

Last edited:

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Definitely the most crowded Saturday of the season. Besides the FCPS holiday, I think favorable weather and snow conditions on that day also contributed, as did pent up demand, and lack of good alternatives elsewhere in the region. I skied the first and last hour of the day. What amazed me Is that there were lines all the way until 4:30. Never seen that before. Sunday was empty and Monday was a ghost town. Those latter days offered pretty decent loose granular conditions in the am hours. I only skied the mornings on Sunday and Monday. OTW, btw, was still holding up ok on Monday but Drop was closed.

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
On Saturdays - could you guess, is there a healthy contingent of people day-tripping from Fairfax County?