• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
How’s the snow holding up to this warm weather and rain. I’ve got a big crew coming up on Thursday and getting nervous that we’re in for junk conditions.
Timberline skied awesome today..up tll 145pm...Huge Whales on Thunder...never seen that before...

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
How’s the snow holding up to this warm weather and rain? I’ve got a big crew coming up on Thursday and getting nervous that we’re in for junk conditions.
It probably depends on your definition of junk. I am sure there is plenty of snow and they even mentioned making snow again this weekend. I'm headed there Friday night and was hoping we'd have some real winter conditions but its looking a bit more like a rollercoaster ride. It's not ideal but at least I am still getting away.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Let us know if the whales are still there on OTW!

Tom351

Putting on skis
Skier
I know it is more complicated than just temp, but 22 degrees and 76% humidity and they are not making snow (from what I can see on the cams). I'm sure they have a reason but does anyone here know what it is?

Last edited:

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Still there as of yesterday evening. However, they groomed out upper thunder.
I hope they keep OTW and The Drop ungroomed for Sunday. Unfortunately there will be no way for me to know before starting the 3 hour drive early Sunday morning.

If anyone has a chance to talk to Ops about plans for tomorrow that would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know it is more complicated than just temp, but 22 degrees and 76% humidity and they are not making snow (from what I can see on the cams). I'm sure they have a reason but does anyone here know what it is?
When I went to bed last night a little after midnight the winds were still gusting to
40+ and it was still above freezing.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Was questioning that myself...nobody made snow except the sledding run at Blackwater falls SP which looked real fast and fun today...

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pretty fun day at TL on Sunday. Groomed surfaces in good shape, with the best snow probably on Dew Drop. The Drop and OTW ungroomed and pretty firm but fun - probably closer to "good for you snow" rather than "good snow" but in a season with no tree skiing you gotta take the challenge where you can find it. It started icing around 1:30 so we ended for the day a bit after 2 - the skiing was still good but I was concerned about icy driving conditions on the way home. I needn't have worried, once we got off the mountain there was no ice and Corridor H was dry on the way home. As we travelled south and east to Virginia it was rainy but we did not really have to deal with any ice.

The day got off to a weird start - we went to OTW and it was closed initially because overnight an animal had dragged something across the slope and patrol needed to clean it up. They think a coyote had gotten ahold of a large jackrabbit or something. Patrol members probably did not realize that is what they were signing up for when they joined.

Last edited:

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Conditions were great today. Everything setup over night and all surfaces were firm and fast. I was glad the precipitation yesterday was short lived. After our last run a little before 2:00 we were nicely glazed. View attachment 192491
Otw and the Drop were both closed yesterday (Icy) up until at least 2pm when I was skied out..
There were some scrapey ice spots on Twister that dropped a few skiers early in the day but other than that the runs got better and better...slopes look thick and healthy taking the warmer days very well...anyhoot..
..bought 2 year old used Brahma 82's that skied really really sweet...I'm done now until next year...gone fishing!....have a great end of Season everybody...
Think Snow!

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
3.3 inches of snow this month, more than half way through February?
Nuts..saw some decent snow on my ride down 79/29/77 heading out of WV yesterday..Snowshoe got 3 inches...only 60 degrees crossing into Florida this Afternoon from Georgia...
..there are some close calls coming in the next 10 days with the Latest Euro biting on a nice amount but that Model loves to tease a big dump then take it away..
....Early March could see a Cold snap just showing on the GFS...cold dislodged by Warming in the Stratosphere up north..long story...

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
In his 1787 book, Notes on the State of Virginia, Jefferson launched into a discussion of the climate of both his home state and America as a whole. Near the end of a brief chapter addressing wind currents, rain and temperature, he presented a series of tentative conclusions: "A change in our climate... Snows are less frequent and less deep....The elderly inform me the earth used to be covered with snow about three months in every year. The rivers, which then seldom failed to freeze over in the course of the winter, scarcely ever do so now." Concerned about the destructive effects of this warming trend, Jefferson noted how "an unfortunate fluctuation between heat and cold" in the spring has been “very fatal to fruits.”..(Spring Cold snaps)...

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
This is the euro 30 day for March If this verified it would be the coldest March on record out west where it has been cold n Snowy all season and the coldest March since 1984 for the nation as a whole....
....the East/Southeast ridge we have had all year will be hard to dislodge though but we can hope and watch...

Attachments

• FpcyIZXXsAII_pL.png
    FpcyIZXXsAII_pL.png
    88.7 KB · Views: 4

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
Looks like Tline closing not announced yet? Last year they closed March 19, and then it snowed 12" the following Friday and stayed cold, would have been an awesome final weekend. That was Snowshoe's last weekend, I was there Sunday, was one of the best days of the winter.

In New England and New York the resorts all make a big deal about trying to squeeze out one or two more weekends in the spring. Length of season is important and matters. Around here only Snowshoe and 7S (under previous management) make that kind of effort.

I'm assuming length of season is not much of a factor in Ohio, and Tline ownership is looking at the expense/hassle of staying open in WV and thinking... no return on investment?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like Tline closing not announced yet?

I haven't seen places around here announce a closing date until the week of the closing date. And then possibly extending a week if they can. Why would they try to announce earlier? I wouldn't expect a closing date announcement until mid-March.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
I haven't seen places around here announce a closing date until the week of the closing date. And then possibly extending a week if they can. Why would they try to announce earlier? I wouldn't expect a closing date announcement until mid-March.
They will stay open until they don't have a quality product on the slopes.