• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Looks like Tline closing not announced yet? Last year they closed March 19, and then it snowed 12" the following Friday and stayed cold, would have been an awesome final weekend. That was Snowshoe's last weekend, I was there Sunday, was one of the best days of the winter.

Sunday, March 27, 2022 was the best day of the year in the Valley and TLM was closed.

TLM needs to put on their big boy pants and stay open at least as long, if not longer than Snowshoe.

Last edited:

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From Timberline's website:

Let’s take a moment to talk about what the rest of the season may look like.

This week has been warm and rainy, and there’s still some challenging weather head of us. Thursday’s forecast shows unseasonably warm temperatures, rain, and wind. While we currently have 100% of terrain available, we do expect to see some loss of coverage and may need to close a few runs before this weekend.

We take pride in our grooming and ability to offer consistent surface conditions, but keeping equipment off the snow helps preserve it during such unfavorable weather. You may see fewer groomed trails over the coming weeks as we make every effort to sustain our snow base as long as possible.

All that being said, the fun isn’t over just yet! We are confident that we will have plenty of trails from each difficulty designation available for the foreseeable future. There will be something for everyone as Timberline Mountain keeps the season going as long as possible!

We still have several events scheduled for the remainder of the season — and a few very special events soon to be announced — so make sure to keep an eye on our website calendar!

It looks like there will be a window to blow snow Friday night and Saturday night. Anyone have any info on whether or not they plan to do it?

Timothy Grasso

Booting up
Skier
Was there today. Really icy in that the start of the morning and softened up by mid day. Mashed potatoes at the end of the day. They had a few trails closed and definitely need some cold to keep some open. They were losing the snow quickly, it was sunny and 67 at 3pm. Enjoyed the day but definitely need some cold temperature to rebuild some trails. The forecast isn't promising for the next week so hopefully they can make it through the next few days.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Was there today. Really icy in that the start of the morning and softened up by mid day. Mashed potatoes at the end of the day. They had a few trails closed and definitely need some cold to keep some open. They were losing the snow quickly, it was sunny and 67 at 3pm. Enjoyed the day but definitely need some cold temperature to rebuild some trails. The forecast isn't promising for the next week so hopefully they can make it through the next few days.
crazy persistent stubborn La Nina East/SE ridge we have dealt with all season is still here...if you look at todays Temp anomaly you can see that even factoring in the way above temps in the east/se the country as a whole is still running 11 degrees below average...Time for that Evil witch to Die..Bring on La NADA!!....
Still keeping hope for something around the 4th of March..Could be a good Storm...or the Norm..
anomaly.png

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Did not see any snowmaking on the cams overnight.

SCWVA

Skier
Did not see any snowmaking on the cams overnight.

Nope. They're done making snow. They've been washing the portable snow guns in the maintenance yard the past few days. Heard they plan on closing on 3/12/23 whether it's snows or not.

What's worse is no spring bumps, just groomers.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Nope. They're done making snow. They've been washing the portable snow guns in the maintenance yard the past few days. Heard they plan on closing on 3/12/23 whether it's snows or not.

What's worse is no spring bumps, just groomers.
Will set a bad precedent for future late season trip planning...Snowshoe will gladly accommodate them and might benefit from a final finale weatherwise..

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
To be fair Snwoshoe has a whole lot more ways to generate revenue than skiing operations. If the crowds stop coming it’s really tough to justify operating at a lost day after day.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
To be fair Snwoshoe has a whole lot more ways to generate revenue than skiing operations. If the crowds stop coming it’s really tough to justify operating at a lost day after day.
Fair enough and TM did hop onto an early start so kudos to them.. but the lines to the lifts are long deep into March at the Show..just saying...
....I feel like this conversation has come up before..Hmmm...

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think they will keep trying as long as the skiers and boarders keep coming but I rarely see ski areas close because of a lack of snow.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
It's warm up there, and rain through the weekend. It's about profits, and I don't see the return on investing in more snowmaking or paying staff at this point. Unfortunately. I don't blame them at all.
I will also be buying my 4 Season passes in the next month.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Here is closing day with the pattern change starting around the 8th of March per the 3 major models Ensembles...
FqFCiLfWIBQ0Lmz.jpeg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Facebook update... 1-2 inches of rain? Ugh. What a terrible season. Amazing that it's been as good as it has at T'line.

1677685322553.png

SCWVA

Skier
I think they will keep trying as long as the skiers and boarders keep coming but I rarely see ski areas close because of a lack of snow.

In order to stay open to their predetermined closing dates, TLM needed to make snow last weekend like Snowshoe and CVR did.

The Drop and OTW we're typically fully open when TL closed at the end of March. This year, The Drop was closed by the 3rd week in February.

Sponsor

Staff online