• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Johnfmh,
The last 12" storm was on March 26/27, 2022.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Re tree skiing: I don’t know the views of the Perfects on the subject, but I do know that snow is required to ski trees and this year, that’s been a problem. … I think we will see some limited glades in the future on terrain that gets residual snow from the guns but that’s it. Does anyone even remember when we last had a 12 inch snow event?
So you are saying Whitegrass will never open again in the future, beyond the snow fence loop? They don’t have residual snow from guns. That seems to be the conclusion of your post, which confuses me.

The biggest difference between Whitegrass trees and T-Line is that WG does plenty of TLC and knows what they are doing. WG can open much terrain with 4-5 inches of snow, because debris has been removed. And they maintain proper tree canopy, which cuts down on sapling over growth. With neglect, starting under the later years of the previous regime, TM now need several feet of snow for many trees to be skiable. Wasn’t always that way.

As I posted earlier, Perfects doing a commendable job on trail ops. Natural snow terrain, na. Not in their culture. But a very big thing that kept T-Line somewhat going in the lean years was the more adventurous customers. And a decade of much better snow years. I’m not so sure those years are never to return in the next few years. But obviously long term trends (15-20 years down the road) not looking so good.

But Washington Post had a good article on CV climate. Why it is not comparable to most Southeastern/Mid Atlantic ski areas. https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/12/17/canaan-valley-winter-cold-snow/

Canaan Valley is the place. Parts of it are described as “a little bit of Canada gone astray.” The weather is more like that of a location at a much higher latitude.​

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree that trail maintenance in the woods helps greatly. Maybe we give them another year to establish a good base plan to help the mountain thrive. Then hopefully they figure out that the trees are just more terrain to focus on.

Reactions: wgo

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Johnfmh,
The last 12" storm was on March 26/27, 2022.

Wasn’t that storm after Timberline closed for the season? I remember talking to people who hiked the mountain to ski it after that storm.

We still get snow in the CV. My log for last season shows days with over 5 inches of new snow with one day marked as having 8.8 inches of new (according to the TM web site). The issue with this year is that the snow is so ephemeral. We get it one day and then a few days later, rain and warm weather takes it away. WG and the CV resort have had quite a time trying to stay open this season. TM is the exception because if its exceptional snowmaking and the willingness of the owners to fire It up during just about every cold window of the season.

Personally, I don’t think WG will be able to stay consistently open in the season without limited snowmaking. You see a snowmaking at Nordic resorts in New England and in Europe. Trapp Family Lodge, for example, blows snow on some of its famous Nordic terrain. I know Chip is highly opposed to snowmaking but I wonder how others associated with that resort feel? Is Corey involved? A bit of snowmaking would allow it to capture the big Saturdays throughout the season and generate profits in other areas: food, equipment rentals, lessons etc. Just my two cents.

I wonder if PN would consider hosting some volunteer days to clean up the woods? I know many people who would lend a hand.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Wasn’t that storm after Timberline closed for the season? I remember talking to people who hiked the mountain to ski it after that storm.

We still get snow in the CV. My log for last season shows days with over 5 inches of new snow with one day marked as having 8.8 inches of new (according to the TM web site). The issue with this year is that the snow is so ephemeral. We get it one day and then a few days later, rain and warm weather takes it away. WG and the CV resort have had quite a time trying to stay open this season. TM is the exception because if its exceptional snowmaking and the willingness of the owners to fire It up during just about every cold window of the season.

Personally, I don’t think WG will be able to stay consistently open in the season without limited snowmaking. You see a snowmaking at Nordic resorts in New England and in Europe. Trapp Family Lodge, for example, blows snow on some of its famous Nordic terrain. I know Chip is highly opposed to snowmaking but I wonder how others associated with that resort feel? Is Corey involved? A bit of snowmaking would allow it to capture the big Saturdays throughout the season and generate profits in other areas: food, equipment rentals, lessons etc. Just my two cents.

I wonder if PN would consider hosting some volunteer days to clean up the woods? I know many people who would lend a hand.
There is plenty of cold around the world with January coming in at just below the 1991 -2020 average.using the UAH Satellite data....there has been a pause in warming now approaching 9 years.....There are camps that think any warming has peaked now and we are entering a 30 year cooling trend...and of course we have the other camp that says warming will continue...
.....but right now Canaan is in its 3rd year of La Nina and we have had a crap pattern....The world could warm another 2 degrees and Canaan could still have a banner year with a good pattern...We have to remember that CV is South of the Mason Dixon line which if you look at Snow cover average maps is at the southern edge here in the Northern Hemisphere....
....It was just a couple of years ago that we had multiple snow storms in early and mid may...not just falling and melting but sticking with the Valley looking like mid winter...The good Snow years will return and we are not done this winter yet and as I type I see snow falling out of my window highlighted by my spot lights....and its getting freakin Cold!!!

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
This idea has been floated here in the past (even back in the pre PN days). How do we go about finding out if this is actually something we could do?

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I agree that trail maintenance in the woods helps greatly. Maybe we give them another year to establish a good base plan to help the mountain thrive. Then hopefully they figure out that the trees are just more terrain to focus on.
Regardless of what plans the Perfects have for TM I am looking forward to the next few years. I like tree skiing but if we ended up with a couple additional advanced runs and a new lift to service them that would be great as well. It's pretty amazing that a few years ago it looked like the mountain would be closed forever and we are now discussing *which* improvements we think should come next.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier

I'm surprised his group hasn't picked up on this yet. So, here you go let's see what happens. Here's the big statement:

Price said Perfect North Slopes is also interested in managing or consolidating with the neighboring Canaan Valley Resort.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
That would be pretty cool. After my first trip in 2021 I thought there was huge potential in the valley if CV could be 100% open. Of course if it becomes any more popular its going to be even harder to find reasonably priced lodging.

Last edited:

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
CV needs significant infrastructure improvements to compete. I suspect TM would want a very long term lease in exchange for making significant investments in the place

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
CV needs significant infrastructure improvements to compete. I suspect TM would want a very long term lease in exchange for making significant investments in the place
This would need to be a 20 yr deal I would think. Plus the states commitment to spend some as well.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This would need to be a 20 yr deal I would think. Plus the states commitment to spend some as well.
Not in the linked article, but I’ve heard PN basically said increase the funding of CVR, or close the place. And yes, with proper funding, they were interested. Having demonstrated success helps your argument.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Its been thirty years since I skied at CRV so I don't really remember much beyond the whiteout conditions and 43" of snow but from the road it looks like tons of potential if they can actually get the mountain covered with snow. Between Timberline and CRV the valley could be a great alternative to Snowshoe and the ski resorts in the Carolinas and a real shot in the arm for the WV economy.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Talked to a worker at CVR and he said they had discussed a mountain coaster up above the Tubing area....
....CV has a great run under the lift they never use..haul that thing out and voila!...just a start..great potential at the picture postcard perfect ski area...

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Talked to a worker at CVR and he said they had discussed a mountain coaster up above the Tubing area....
....CV has a great run under the lift they never use..haul that thing out and voila!...just a start..great potential at the picture postcard perfect ski area...
C-Liftline run is a great run. When was it last open?

Dos-Equis

Getting on the lift
Skier
How’s the snow holding up to this warm weather and rain? I’ve got a big crew coming up on Thursday and getting nervous that we’re in for junk conditions.

Last edited:

Sponsor