• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed but I still don’t quite understand why a winch cat is needed. From my understanding, the winch slows the rate of ascent or decent of the groomer on steep slopes, allowing for a slower, more controlled groom. Except for the OTW, we don’t really have anything that steep at Timberline. Does Perfect North intend to lay down corduroy on OTW.
I think I mentioned it earlier, but another use for a winch cat is to help push heavy snow uphill to maintain slopes. So maybe it could be for that?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What about the whales? ogsmile
Damn, really going to have to get down to WV to try Timberline.
The only time I was aware of them was on one of the steeper (though short) runs - Off the Wall. They apparently would tend to leave them there for a long time. Maybe someone with more Timberline experience than me can comment on that.

James

Out There
Instructor
The only time I was aware of them was on one of the steeper (though short) runs - Off the Wall. They apparently would tend to leave them there for a long time. Maybe someone with more Timberline experience than me can comment on that.
I had a whale experience with a kid a couple years ago. They were big. We rarely have them.

We skied up the side to the top of the second to last. There was maybe 6-10 ft of sliding down to the next peak. So I side slipped down, he was supposed to do the same. Instead, he blew past me and headed down the final pitch. Holy crap, this isn’t good. Amazingly, he made it through the acceleration, but the snow below was odd and wet in spots. His ski dug in and he endoed with a double eject. It was oretty spectacular actually. Got the wind knocked out.
Was fine except for being shook up. Of course it was the last run before meeting the parents.

Side slipping. It’s a necessary skill.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a whale experience with a kid a couple years ago. They were big. We rarely have them.

We skied up the side to the top of the second to last. There was maybe 6-10 ft of sliding down to the next peak. So I side slipped down, he was supposed to do the same. Instead, he blew past me and headed down the final pitch. Holy crap, this isn’t good. Amazingly, he made it through the acceleration, but the snow below was odd and wet in spots. His ski dug in and he endoed with a double eject. It was oretty spectacular actually. Got the wind knocked out.
Was fine except for being shook up. Of course it was the last run before meeting the parents.

If the whales aren't too big (i.e. if the backside isn't actually vertical), they're fun to just ski... I've done that at Blue Knob, Massanutten, and Canaan Valley. I'll throw a couple of pics up later if I can find them.

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Loading chairs on six pack today. Started putting in ticket windows n parking lot side earlier this week. Huge hole in the building left of ticket windows. This will be the main entrance. Sounds crazy but we've never had one of those.

Last edited:

The Colonel

Putting on skis
Skier
Loading chairs on six pack today. Started putting in ticket windows n parking lot side earlier this week. Huge hole in the building left of ticket windows. This will be the main entrance. Sounds crazy but we've never had one of those.
I remain astonished at the extent of the work the Perfects have completed and continue to work miracles across the mountain on lifts, snow making, and most unexpectedly on the lodge itself. I cannot see how they get all this work completed and go into operation by Thanksgiving!?! Anybody have insight as to what the plans are to continue work after Thanksgiving? Can the lodge operate if the new section is not completed?
37 days to planned launch!!
The Colonel

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
The whole region is being transformed, not only by TM but the Hyper Loop project. 6,000 new residents—even if many decide not to live in in Tucker County—is a lot of people. We are going to see a lot of new stuff if this happens, including schools, urgent care, stores, etc. Ten years from now, you won’t recognize the place.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
It won't be the nice quite Valley we have come to love, but it will be viable for businesses to operate and make a living. As for TM, I would think they have a plan for limited inside access. Bathrooms, maybe a snack/drinks but I doubt they can have full service ready or even be able to deliver with Covid. Looks like ski operations will be good to go. :crossfingers::daffy:

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
My understanding us that the addition has absolutely no effect on opening day. As of now the original outside walls and windows remain so probably not a big deal if not completed by Thanksgiving.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I could have sworn I have at least one or two pix on Pug ski standing on top of a T-Line whale looking over my tips. Siri may help you find them ...

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Bump just in case someone wants to know why this thread exists

Short answer: yes. At the very minimum, WV will need to think seriously about licensing ski lift operators after seeing what is going on at TL. The pictures posted on Timber-lies are unbelievable.

And maybe license the groomers too. ;)

Sponsor

Staff online