• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
Anyone have any idea how much bigger the lodge building has been expanded, and what kind of capacity has been added? (side-note- likely something to look forward to more in 2021-22 but still interesting)

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was talking with one of the managers from PNS over the weekend and he mentioned that they had to completely rebuild/reconfigure the kitchen there because it was on multiple levels which sounds like a huge undertaking. He also told me they had about 20-25 full time and/or long time employees relocate to WV. I'm just hoping that doesn't hurt their operations in Indiana,

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
Two things with the trail map. 1) Maybe they are trying to figure out which trails will have snow making or not this year? I was told Saturday the snowmaking system will be operational in about two weeks. 2) Lighted trails? They are working (I assume the political side) to light Salamander. We all know the history of that issue. But, Chip Perfect is a state senator (get'er done Chip) maybe he can work that angle. So, maybe they are waiting for those items to come together before they publish???

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Two things with the trail map. 1) Maybe they are trying to figure out which trails will have snow making or not this year? I was told Saturday the snowmaking system will be operational in about two weeks. 2) Lighted trails? They are working (I assume the political side) to light Salamander. We all know the history of that issue. But, Chip Perfect is a state senator (get'er done Chip) maybe he can work that angle. So, maybe they are waiting for those items to come together before they publish???

Makes “perfect” sense. There have been huge improvements in lighting for night skiing (just ask the Finns or Swedes). Let’s hope some of that new technology gets incorporated into future night skiing terrain for Timberline. Many World Cup skiers actually prefer night skiing under lights to day skiing—the lighting is that good.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm anxious to see how the snow making system develops over the next few years. I would expect that they will end up with the most robust system in the region if not east of the Mississippi as long as they have the water to support it. I think at PNS they have in the neighborhood of 230-250 snow guns on 100 acres which I assume also includes the tubing hill.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am not sure i would want Salamander lighted. Maybe there is a legitimate Dolly Sods reason separate from 'politics'. However, I think the quad serving something like 400' vert is fine for novice night skiing. I think that lift is just incredibly important and a good decision for providing a better step up experience and better early season skiing.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree about the quad. They could open the whole mid-station down early season and continue to make snow on the upper mountain and it would be less to patrol for night skiing.

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Timberline new cut through trail 102820.jpg

New cut through trail at the top of the 6-Pack.
This takes you to Twister and Dew Drop.
This will alleviate some congestion up top so that everyone up top doesn't have to ski left.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This will alleviate some congestion up top so that everyone up top doesn't have to ski left.

You are a hopeless optimist. :beercheer:

Most won’t decide which way to go and will hang out in front of the exit ramp.

And the going left going right thing for a 6 pack will be an adventure in WV, where there is a steep gradient in skiing tradition. But all people pay the bills to keep the areas we love in business.

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Kind of a small shed for the instructors.
The Boot Up shed for instructors is the old Tline real estate shed that was previously placed outside of the lodge at the Mountain Biking entrance.
I don't know what the dimensions are for it. I have a feeling the Lessons & Ski Instructors will be managed/scheduled better so that there are not so many instructors without lessons at each lineup.

Last edited:

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
You are a hopeless optimist. :beercheer:

Most won’t decide which way to go and will hang out in front of the exit ramp.

And the going left going right thing for a 6 pack will be an adventure in WV, where there is a steep gradient in skiing tradition. But all people pay the bills to keep the areas we love in business.
I never said we would all exit the 6-pack gracefully!
But this new cut through gives us a quick exit option.

I imagine it being a struggle at first until we all adjust from realizing in just 5 fast minutes we're already at the top and then going from only 3 people exiting a lift to 6 people.
I expect lots of laughs as my own family attempts it without skiing on top of each other - and 4 of us are "trained professionals"!

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone have any idea how much bigger the lodge building has been expanded, and what kind of capacity has been added? (side-note- likely something to look forward to more in 2021-22 but still interesting)
In speaking with the builder who is working on the expansion (as quickly as humanly possible given the covid supply chain delays and supply shortages), the extension makes the main part of the lodge 24 feet wider. With the different levels inside it will add an additional 5,000 square feet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid