• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
Love the landscaping update with the Evergreens!...fell in love with Canaan and area after discovering that Real Evergreens...not transplanted. Actually thrived there..wasn"t too thrilled at the view of Knarly twisted old leafless trees sking PA for years. Canaan was the real deal!!...I went on a personal planting spree of Spruce and Fir back in the early/mid 90's and called myself Andy Evergreen at the local bars and too anyone that would listen to my nutty butt.. yeh..im nuts and growing up in the Tropics didn't help....anyhoot..been very consistent on the Long range Gfs showing a cold push moving in on the 30th/1st of Dec..showing some sort of funky cutoff low that will be interesting to see play out...like all of you im ready to see those snow guns a blazin!!!
Fishnski I just planted a Canaan Fir at my place this past weekend. Only about 6' but it'll grow. Great aroma also, there is a certain freshness to it.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Fishnski I just planted a Canaan Fir at my place this past weekend. Only about 6' but it'll grow. Great aroma also, there is a certain freshness to it.
1 is better than none RH!..you are legally only allowed to get canaan fir seeds or seedlings from a source in the valley area from what i understand...Canaan firs are native and only to the valley..pretty neat huh?..( they like it wet..they grow in the wetland )..I have a home in Wilmington,Nc and that area within 60 mile radius is where the Venus Fly trap came from on a side note...I also have 5 types of Palms growing there..all planted by me...and up at my Canaan camp I have Norway.. Blue..and local wild Red spruce...Canaan and Douglas fir...canadian hemlock and some really sweet European white birches and a couple of Canaan Native Aspens...

MAN...this mornings run of the GFS and the German ICON show December rolling in like a raging Bull Elk or pissed off Polar Bear!!!..Why do we use Lion???.......Hopefully the snow show by Man and nature will be worth the wait!!!
edit to say that the Canadian just rolled in with lots of snow too...waiting for the all powerful Euro to confirm...

Last edited:

PT22

Booting up
Skier
Mr. Optimism here... Starting 1 DEC forecast calls for 20's and Teens first 10 days of December... then continuing through MID January, with hardly any rain. This kind of extended low temp run hasn't happened like this for many years, that I can remember. I know this is an "extended forecast" and "AccuWeather isn't reliable", but I really think they are going to be running guns continuously starting 1 DEC though Christmas. When I spoke to them 2 months ago, they said "we fully expect all of our slopes to be open as long as the temps cooperate, as we will have all slopes covered by snowmaking equipment for the new year." So my take is look for ALL slopes open by Christmas/New Years.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am also optimistic and I believe that TLM will have a decent selection of top to bottom runs open by Christmas, but I really would not base anything on AccuWeather predictions a month out. From talking to an ops guy at another mountain, he said that they typically do not trust forecasts more than 72 hours out.

Anyway, really looking forward to getting back out to TLM. I am going to guess that they will have 4 top to bottom runs open by Christmas. I would happily lap White Lightning, The Drop, and Dew Drop all day, especially if there is a bit of fresh snow.

Edit: if the Perfects manage to get all slopes open by New Year's, I will be the first to post here admitting that I was too conservative! I would be thrilled if this ends up being the case.

Last edited:

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
I've been watching the storm potential with the colder air moving in for a few days now..Its a bit different type scenario than what ive been used to seeing over the years...the track is still debatable...models are split between the WV Snow country with an easterly track and a westerly track favoring places like the Perfect ski resort in Indiana....The latest Euro puts a walloping just north and east (Dayton/Springfield) of the Perfect ski area but the area itself would get a nice dump as well...
.......Im thinking good for them but thats not supposed to be!!!...oh well...im always rooting for the Wv Alpps...or Apps or WV high country whatever your favorite term is....either way there will be a multiple chances for snow..snow showers ect on the backside if the track heads west of us with another system moving in after the 1st although much smaller...either way the cold makes it in to turn them guns on....BUT..if that east track prevails hold de door!...Chip will be breakin out the Shine at Whitegrass!!!

snow.png

Last edited:
Reactions: wgo

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am also optimistic and I believe that TLM will have a decent selection of top to bottom runs open by Christmas, but I really would not base anything on AccuWeather predictions a month out. From talking to an ops guy at another mountain, he said that they typically do not trust forecasts more than 72 hours out.

Anyway, really looking forward to getting back out to TLM. I am going to guess that they will have 4 top to bottom runs open by Christmas. I would happily lap White Lightning, The Drop, and Dew Drop all day, especially if there is a bit of fresh snow.

Edit: if the Perfects manage to get all slopes open by New Year's, I will be the first to post here admitting that I was too conservative! I would be thrilled if this ends up being the case.

My guess would be 1-2 more trails. Heaven and maybe top of Twister. And OTW instead of the Drop. Shorter, and needs less snow.

Besides the weather, what sort of water supply do they have now? My educated guess is that they’ll run out of water first. That was the MO of the previous ownership and of CVR.

And yeah, forecasts more than a few days out are not worth much. From what I read of general trends, no large scale Polar Vortexes likely this Winter. That would cause an extended cold spell.

Reactions: wgo

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
My guess would be 1-2 more trails. Heaven and maybe top of Twister. And OTW instead of the Drop. Shorter, and needs less snow.

Besides the weather, what sort of water supply do they have now? My educated guess is that they’ll run out of water first. That was the MO of the previous ownership and of CVR.

And yeah, forecasts more than a few days out are not worth much. From what I read of general trends, no large scale Polar Vortexes likely this Winter. That would cause an extended cold spell.
From looking at where they put the new blowers and talking to the workers. First 2 off the top will be Lightning and Sally.

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Question for guys in the know. The big lake at old timberline that we pump from is not very deep. I wonder if there would be the possibility of dredging it out some time in the future to increase capacity Any ideas guys?

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From looking at where they put the new blowers and talking to the workers. First 2 off the top will be Lightning and Sally.

Those two trails have generally been the first in the past and make the most sense.

I think they can get to 5 or 6 open from the top by NYE. With the second lift going to mid mountain, I expect lower half of the mtn will be a priority. Lower Thunder vs Upper Thunder, etc.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
All bets are pure speculation..we dont know..maybe they dont know the firepower they have..they havn't even tested anything for gosh sakes..the weather is the all important of course and we have been told by the "Experts" what we can expect with El Nina but That is bogus..too many variables and Tricks up Mama Natures...uno what....

The Colonel

Putting on skis
Skier
All bets are pure speculation..we dont know..maybe they dont know the firepower they have..they havn't even tested anything for gosh sakes..the weather is the all important of course and we have been told by the "Experts" what we can expect with El Nina but That is bogus..too many variables and Tricks up Mama Natures...uno what....
WV RVA,
We need pictures & info. Is the deck completed with a railing? How is the renovation of the lodge coming along? I think TLM Perfect gets snowmaking water from multiple sources. Gotta believe having adequate water was a major consideration before investing millions of dollars.
Come on folks up in CV over Thanksgiving, pictures and info please!!
To all my PugSki and DCSki friends...Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and stay safe!!!!

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
Colonel - From a Perfect North employee transplant. Priority is snow making, we have water all the way to the top now. Just waiting for the temps/humidity to cooperate. Lifts have been turning, but they are still laying cable in trenches all over. They could never have opened this weekend. But, they said Chip Perfect continues to say get snow on the slopes, we will handle the lodge later. Lodge is behind, My guess is they will get the bathrooms, rental shop open ASAP. Then serve food from an outdoor grill area. Decking is not finishing in front, no railing on any section. Also, UPS was there yesterday evening delivering additional kitchen equipment. Pictures are from this past week.

lodge.jpg mtn.jpg mtn.jpg painted lodge.jpg

PT22

Booting up
Skier
When I communicated with their main office back in early October, I was contemplating rental of "The Den" on Upper Twister (so I do have a vested interest in the optimistic slant on things lol)... after a call to the snow making guys, the office told me "all the guns on upper Twister are shot and need replacing - and our plan is to have them replaced and Twister operating at the beginning of the season, along with all the rest of the slopes". Maybe just a good PR spin, but that would put upper Twister on the list of skiable Christmas Day slopes. Get those guns going!!!

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Taking a step back, PN has accomplished an amazing amount of stuff so far in a short period. But there is a lot more to do. Let’s not get too far over our skis on expectations. And there is this thing called COVID out there.

I get some turns in this season in WV, I’m happy.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey @JohnL, I just noticed that Team Gathermeister badge so I nominate you to organize the next TM Mid-A Gathering when it is safe. Ha ha, tag your it.

Ha ha. I plan on being even more anti-social and grumpier than normal this winter. It’s crazy the amount of people I know who’ve had it or are currently in quarantine. And one friend’s elderly mother just died from it. So, no 2020/21 Gatherings in my plans. I’ll yell across the valley at ya.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
@JohnL, notice I said, "when it's safe". Sorry to hear about your friend's mom. Given the amount of travel this weekend I'm really frightened about how this Christmas and ski season will look. No Gathering plans for us. Kathy and I had hoped to do at least a month long rental somewhere in ski country this season for an audition for a retirement home mountain.

Sponsor

Staff online