• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My guess is they will upgrade/add snow making on Twister. Check out social media, check out this forum. Everyone has been asking "when will Twister be open?" If they put money into additional snow making it will be twister. Also, other infrastructure items - Another pond for water!

Frankly, Twister is a bit of a boondoggle. It is basically a real estate run, servicing ski in, ski out. The best part of the trail (the top), has very poor western exposure. The rest is basically too flat. The lower part was cut too low, likely to make it more convenient for houses.

It requires a lot of snow to open it, since it is so long, Western facing, and low elevation.

If I owned or was renting a house on Twister, Id be complaing. I think that explains a lot of the noise.

The Colonel

Putting on skis
Skier
Once again I feel compelled to share frustration that TLM cannot get the most simple thing right: an accurate daily ski slope report. It is now nearly 9:00am Monday and the slope report shows yesterday’s condition. If the want to get drive up customers, the daily report should be posted early morning. Lots of chatter yesterday that Lower Almost Heaven had been groomed out yesterday, apparently ready to open. No way to tell given the slope report is not yet posted!!!!!!!!!!!!’

Hayben

Booting up
Skier
So many people are asking about twister because it is a great long intermediate trail. The flatter portion at the bottom is after Twister has merged with Winterset which is a GREEN TRAIL. As far as west facing it makes for a great afternoon option if other slopes are icy. It is my kids favorite run.

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Once again I feel compelled to share frustration that TLM cannot get the most simple thing right: an accurate daily ski slope report. It is now nearly 9:00am Monday and the slope report shows yesterday’s condition. If the want to get drive up customers, the daily report should be posted early morning. Lots of chatter yesterday that Lower Almost Heaven had been groomed out yesterday, apparently ready to open. No way to tell given the slope report is not yet posted!!!!!!!!!!!!’
Lower Heaven was open yesterday afternoon. It was groomed but still had whales and some of the blowers were still on. I'm hoping by the end of today they have enough snow to work on the terrain park features.

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
So many people are asking about twister because it is a great long intermediate trail. The flatter portion at the bottom is after Twister has merged with Winterset which is a GREEN TRAIL. As far as west facing it makes for a great afternoon option if other slopes are icy. It is my kids favorite run.
Twister was blowing all day Saturday and Sunday, it has to be close.

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
My guess is they will upgrade/add snow making on Twister. Check out social media, check out this forum. Everyone has been asking "when will Twister be open?" If they put money into additional snow making it will be twister. Also, other infrastructure items - Another pond for water!
Rick - I didn't think about Twister but I'm sure you're right, they will upgrade that snow making. Have you heard anything about running short on water this year? It seems that with all the blowing they have been doing that they would but I haven't heard anything. Do you think it would be better to dig another pond over on the western side or see if they can dig out the lake some? A few years ago Bryce was having the dam upgraded by the Army Corp of Engineers and they took the opportunity to dig the lake much deeper. Maybe something like that could work for us?

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
I have heard a few things around more water. First, I've heard they have started to look for a way to "capture" the water as it flow down the mountain and direct it to a pond/lake. Last time I was up I heard they are exploring a pond/lake behind the stables on the land they own. That's where I always assumed they would build a tubing park. Maybe they can do both?

I also heard from the staff they have already purchased the hangers for the chair lift to hang mountain bikes on for the ride to the top. They intend to open the mountain to mountain biking this summer.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So how long are trails from top to bottom? I see salamander is two miles.
That's by far the longest since it meanders and is not steep at all. Most other runs from the top would be like 3/4 of a mile. The mountain overall covers about 980 vertical feet, and the top half is steeper than the bottom half in general.

Here's a top down view on a map of TM... you can see Salamander going from the bottom center (which is the top of the mountain) and winding off to the right.

1610997014798.png

And here's a Google maps satellite image... Google doesn't have the runs marked for TM unfortunately.

1610997095760.png

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
TM skis as big enough to create a 184 page thread.... Just go.

Going... this Wednesday and Thursday, with son #1. It's been at least 8 years since I last skied TL. Really looking forward to seeing all the improvements. I did stop by back in December 2019 after a few days at Snowshoe, was really saddened then.

1611023129246.jpeg
1611023378870.jpeg

Kemperski

Getting on the lift
Skier
well I finally made it, good friend will be at TL tomorrow but I feel like tomorrow at Canaan will be my best bet for short runs in the darkside trees and pipeline to WG, then full day at Timberline (expensive ticket and no halfday's which I hate) on wed. when whether trees are good or not I can just lap the terrain on the new lift. Everyone is being all cagey about the trees but at least gladerunner, pearly, etc must be nice after this latest snow.... Yes?

Kemperski

Getting on the lift
Skier
BTW, actually made the drive from Graham NC in under 6 hrs today -- speeding like crazy because as is so often the case there wasn't a trace of snow on the roads until the WV line and really until Mt Storm, then it's like a switch turns on.

you got to feel sorry for the VA resorts they may as well be in a different latitude

Last edited:

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
........full day at Timberline (expensive ticket and no halfday's which I hate) on wed........?

Since TM has no half day or a reasonably priced midweek ticket, WG or CVR is a much better option for midweek skiing.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
well I finally made it, good friend will be at TL tomorrow but I feel like tomorrow at Canaan will be my best bet for short runs in the darkside trees and pipeline to WG, then full day at Timberline (expensive ticket and no halfday's which I hate) on wed. when whether trees are good or not I can just lap the terrain on the new lift. Everyone is being all cagey about the trees but at least gladerunner, pearly, etc must be nice after this latest snow.... Yes?

Definitely better than last week ! Glade runner did not look good, but you can see where other tracks lead, lots of cuts between the main slopes, and some others up high. The real issue for me is the snow was no better than on the slope, usually I want to find untracked when I go a forresting. But that was last week.

I wish TM had a half ticket, but not like the ones a Wisp which are only 10 bucks off list price, which is the same as the TM multi-day discount.

Sponsor

Staff online