• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
My son and I skied the Drop Wednesday afternoon, but didn’t see you. It was nice and soft with some good mashed potato bumps on the right side. The big rollers were extremely nice. View attachment 125802
It was real warm wed but everything froze up hard overnight so Thur the day I skied was a sheet of ice...they delayed opening Twister till noon after alot of grooming...
the other groomed cruisers skied real nice though which lured me over to the Drop thinking the warmer temps and sun by 1130am had softened things up..nope...needed WV DOT to lay down some sand and gravel!

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
It was real warm wed but everything froze up hard overnight so Thur the day I skied was a sheet of ice...they delayed opening Twister till noon after alot of grooming...
the other groomed cruisers skied real nice though which lured me over to the Drop thinking the warmer temps and sun by 1130am had softened things up..nope...needed WV DOT to lay down some sand and gravel!
Not sure how long it rained on Wednesday night- took the dog out around 10pm and got soaked. Kind of glad we left Thursday. But we did have 3 different types of conditions Mon-Wed- each day was different and fun in it's own way.
Right after lunch on Wednesday everything turned into mashed potatoes- I think we were skiing Almost Heaven when we got down to the lift my wife says that she could have used more gravy on that run...:roflmao:

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Not sure how long it rained on Wednesday night- took the dog out around 10pm and got soaked. Kind of glad we left Thursday. But we did have 3 different types of conditions Mon-Wed- each day was different and fun in it's own way.
Right after lunch on Wednesday everything turned into mashed potatoes- I think we were skiing Almost Heaven when we got down to the lift my wife says that she could have used more gravy on that run...:roflmao:
was hoping that rain would have changed to snow overnight but even if it did it would have been dust over crust...looks like its going to be Spring skiing now till hopefully a mid march last gasp from ole man winter...Snowshoeing around thru the woods I was amazed at how deep the snow was..this winter could go down as the deepest base with below average snowfall ever...

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
was hoping that rain would have changed to snow overnight but even if it did it would have been dust over crust...looks like its going to be Spring skiing now till hopefully a mid march last gasp from ole man winter...Snowshoeing around thru the woods I was amazed at how deep the snow was..this winter could go down as the deepest base with below average snowfall ever...
20210222_114741.jpg

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
2 inches of rain predicted for Sunday followed by a hard freeze Monday overnight into Tuesday should result in some "interesting" conditions. But maybe some nice corn by next weekend?

scadgrad

Booting up
Skier
Ugh, already locked in for Sun through Tuesday for our first trip ever to this spot (doing CV on Mon). Hope they can get it groomed up nice by Tuesday. Not like my choices here in VA are any better so hoping for the best.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Here's a PSA for season passes for next year and an example of what good customer service should be. Currently season passes are on sale for next year with the added bonus of having your current day's lift ticket subtracted from the cost of the season pass. I went in to buy the Silver (Monday to Friday) Pass for $299 and they subtracted the $85 lift ticket price that I had just purchased, for a total of $214. Here's the part about the good customer service - I didn't pay $85 for my day's lift ticket as I already had credits applied from previous trips. When I pointed that out to the customer service rep she said, "Don't worry about it. I'll just apply the whole amount." How awesome is that? They did the same thing for my wife's season pass. It turns out that since she qualifies for the "senior" discount, she only had to pay $149 for her season pass. What qualifies you as a "senior"? Over 60. I wonder if that's a West Virginia thing because I've never seen the age limit that low before.
TL and CVR used to be free if you were over 70. Is that still true ?

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm ok with the new owners running things like a business. TL4SR definitely had no idea what they were doing and Canaan is run more like a park than a business. Let's let a successful business show us how things are done and maybe we will have a mountain we can be proud of for the next 40 years. Older and younger folks can buy a season pass for $249 for next year. End of rant.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
It looks like they are planning to stay open in to April unless Mother Nature decides otherwise. View attachment 126356
it just seems like above average snowfall when in fact we are below our average for this time of year...like I said earlier...this winter will go down as the Snowiest below average snow year ever!..(lots of cold cloudy days that kept snowmelt down)

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Some truth to TM's post "conditions remain solid". Better get the edges sharpened at Driftland before heading to TM.
In order to stay open, TM will need to make some snow to make thru next week's spring weather.
I'm sure the valley will get closer to the average yearly snowfall, I'm just hoping the snow comes in March and not the end of April.

Last edited:

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe they'll operate different at TM but I wouldn't expect them to make snow because they haven't in week at PNS even with bitter cold.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
So what is the best weather forecast to watch for a trip next week? Some I have looked at show rain and some show sun.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Right now the Weather Channel has a higher chance for rain
Davis WC.jpg

but it looks like Accuweather has added a chance for rain as well.

Davis AW.jpg

I've been looking forward to the trip but if its going to rain all weekend I'll probably sacrifice the $100 deposit and save the 12 hours of driving.

Sponsor