• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
It was very good but the wind was brutal.
When I woke up about 6:30 it was completely calm. But winds kicked up by 9 and seemed to get stronger as the day went on. I made the mistake of one Sally run about 1:00. The Drop, Thunder and Lightning stayed nice. I wrapped up about 2:30.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
So how busy was Timberline over president's day this year? We are considering a trip next year but I don't want to get caught off guard by crowds like we saw at PNS this year. My impression after my first trip is that the ski area can only get so busy with major cities being beyond what most would consider a day trip.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So how busy was Timberline over president's day this year? We are considering a trip next year but I don't want to get caught off guard by crowds like we saw at PNS this year. My impression after my first trip is that the ski area can only get so busy with major cities being beyond what most would consider a day trip.

From web cams and occasional visits to TM this year, this past weekend was by far the most empty weekend since the weekend before XMas. Those with more miles there this year can confirm.

Expect crowds on weekends. Weekdays, empty.

TM is only 2-2.25 hours from the outer DC suburbs.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Friday on President's day weekend was not bad as far as crowds go. I would expect Sat/Sun of that weekend to be crowded.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
What were the crowds like around Christmas this year. We are kind of kicking the idea around of going right after Christmas later this year for a few days. I know the coverage could be variable, but it would be more about getting my daughter back out on skis- and son-in-law as well...

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
On busy weekends, the line was usually about 20-25 minutes in the middle of the day. I've only missed one weekend this season and waited in a 25-30 minute line a couple of times. Yesterday, the lines were at most 2-3 minutes and the mountain was great most of the day. I'm sure the owners are hoping for more people and $ next year as the word gets out.

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
From web cams and occasional visits to TM this year, this past weekend was by far the most empty weekend since the weekend before XMas. Those with more miles there this year can confirm.

Expect crowds on weekends. Weekdays, empty.

TM is only 2-2.25 hours from the outer DC suburbs.
A friend skied over 50k feet of vertical last week during mid week (it was Wed or Thurs). I'd say the lines were short mid week. I'm curious to see if they will start closing on weekdays thru closing like Perfect does.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
So an interesting piece of trivia from the weekend. The last time I was in the Canaan Valley was 28 years which happened to be same time as the storm of the century. A group from middle school came to ski for the weekend at CV and were treated to 43" of new snow and blizzard conditions.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
TM might consider staying open the week of March 29 as the public schools in Fairfax & Loudoun counties in VA as well as Montgomery County, MD are all on spring break that week.

Griselbrand

Booting up
Skier
Gonna be there Friday and Saturday to close out the season so anyone who's planning on being there and is interested in meeting up for some runs, just let me know.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
TM might consider staying open the week of March 29 as the public schools in Fairfax & Loudoun counties in VA as well as Montgomery County, MD are all on spring break that week.
Still watching for that end of season cold shot..models are hinting..dunno..might be a day and $$$ short...losing track..was it last year it snowed till mid may?

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
So it looks like "weekend operations" are Friday through Monday.
From the Director:

"OPERATIONS UPDATE:

Due to the rainy forecast, Timberline is suspending operations for skiing and snowboarding tomorrow, March 18th.

We will re-open on Friday, March 19th, and will be open from 9AM-5PM for the remainder of the weekend through Monday, March 22nd.

Operations will be suspended again Tuesday, March 23rd, through Thursday, March 25th. We hope to open back up Friday, March 26th, through Sunday, March 28th."

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Weird winter..so much fcasted negativity but Canaan pulled out some magic and snow ,cold and anti melt clouds ruled for a good bit..right now if you looked at the Indices we see a trying to be cooperative Arctic index (AO NAO )..but a stubborn Pacific that wont play..this season is running out..
...........hoping for some kind of genius slope engineering for next year and im predicting an above average Snow year...its a done deal...make your plans!!!

Last edited:

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Is TM done for the season?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Is TM done for the season?
Well maybe you know this, and are asking for more info, but the website says:

"Operational status from March 23rd and beyond is yet to be determined. We appreciate your patience as we monitor the weather and its impact on our terrain. Our team of groomers will be working hard to maintain our snow base, keeping this phenomenal season going as long as possible!"

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Well maybe you know this, and are asking for more info, but the website says:

"Operational status from March 23rd and beyond is yet to be determined. We appreciate your patience as we monitor the weather and its impact on our terrain. Our team of groomers will be working hard to maintain our snow base, keeping this phenomenal season going as long as possible!"
Winter is trying for an encore short comeback for overnight Sunday the 29th into the early part of the following week....Fat Lady in the tight ski pants might be warming up but not ready to sing yet but is it day late and $$$$ Short?
us_model-en-087-0_modez_2021032200_240_495_323.png