• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Maybe they're removing chairs for inspection? In PA, ski resorts take down a percentage of chairs for annual inspection. After a few years, all of the chairs have been taken off the haul cable.
Word.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
We know from the broken lift tower a few years back that WV has no lift inspection requirements. Given that the Perfects actually know how to run a ski resort I would imagine that they would be diligent in performing industry-standard lift inspections. Removing chairs annually to inspect the haul cable under the grips is standard practice. I can't imagine that new lifts were installed without all the chairs required for maximum operation.

DaleK

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
It looked like they were taking chairs off the lifts a few days ago.

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
I can't imagine that new lifts were installed without all the chairs required for maximum operation.

Actually they both were. The 6 person had an initial capacity of 2,400 last season with a design capacity of 3,600. The quad's initial capacity was 2,030 vs. a design capacity of 2,375. Some back of the envelope math says the six pack could take 28 more chairs while the quad could take 11 more.

Could also be chairs removed for maintenance reasons. Typically 20 percent of carriers are removed each year for nondestructive testing.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
Its been a while. Has anyone heard if Timberline Mountain is going to open up for the summer? Or, if they have been approved to light Salamander?
This is a news needy group, inquiring minds?????

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have not heard any news but I am sure they are working on a number of things in the off season. I'll see of I can "phone a friend" to see if I can get any updates.

SCWVA

Skier
No events this summer. This might have been posted elsewhere, but all of the larger snowmaking mains have been replaced and they're working on installing something like 8000lf of branch lines.

Lots of MTBers in town.

SCWVA

Skier
Just for context, how many linear feet are included in TL's snowmaking system?
Not sure, but as a percentage of the total amount of pipe 8000lf isn't very much considering Salamander is over 10,000ft long.

Last edited:

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Where do you see them? I feel like they already had to many at the base.

I saw them from my condo at Northwoods. Some were there last season but it appears some new ones were installed recently near the lifts in particular, including the carpet.

BTW, I also noticed that the Herzwoods condos changed its name to Northslope Condos. Go figure.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I saw them from my condo at Northwoods. Some were there last season but it appears some new ones were installed recently near the lifts in particular, including the carpet.

BTW, I also noticed that the Herzwoods condos changed its name to Northslope Condos. Go figure.

I can't believe what the Herzwoods condos are going for now. A year ago they were selling for $90K and not they're going for $235k+. If only I had know. :doh:

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier

You guys didn't see anything online about the name change? It was hilarious, ALL about "HERZ". Can't blame them.

All the Valley real estate is going nuts.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
The worst part is that the rental rates are through the roof too with few exceptions. I booked a condo at Herzwoods this past season for $100 a night. It was clean and functional but not spectacular. So far everything I've seen for the upcoming season is 100-150% higher. I want to go back but it might be prohibitively expensive for a weekend trip since its just my wife, son, and I.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Interesting. We were going to be looking into staying at the CV lodge for our weekend trips but I guess that will probably book pretty quickly

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
A realtor informed me that a 1BR with a loft at Northwoods generated $12,500 of rental income in the first 3 months of 2021 (1 Jan-1 Apr). That’s one reason why the sales value of these units is going up. Rental demand is through the roof.

As for the pipes, it seems like they are focusing on the western side of the mountain. I suspect Almost Heaven (which had issues last season) and maybe Dew Drop as well.

Last edited:

Sponsor