• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would not dismiss the negative comments.
Dismiss was probably not the right word.

As you can imagine, I've followed this thread since it started and I've sat at a table with a few members here who are involved with this thread and talked about it over a glass of scotch. I'm sure we'll talk more about it when we sit around the table at Jackson Hole this winter.

When @Squaremouth posted this...
I guess I've been ranting but I hope the town just doesn't take the appearance of a new ski resort for granted. It's going to be touch and go for a while. They got to roll up their sleeves and make sure it happens.
I guess I realized that it was his tone that people were answering, as much as the message, because his posts seemed to be bringing a different vibe to the discussion.

I like the variety of information from all sides, especially because I have friends close to it and yet I've never been there.

So, :rocks: to keeping the discussion going.

Bananana

Booting up
Skier
Information on the entity Timberline Holdings LLC incorporated in Tennessee can be looked up here.
https://tnbear.tn.gov/Ecommerce/NameAvailability.aspx

The principal address is 1431 INTERSTATE DR
COOKEVILLE, TN 38501-4122 USA. Its the site of a Rib City Restuarant.

The mailing address 1424 VERNA QUALLS RD
SPARTA, TN 38583-1782 USA. This looks like a residence

I don't think that's the right company. The company on the LOI is "Timberline Land Holding Company, LLC" not "Timberline Holdings, LLC". The company you are referencing was also formed in 2009.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
You already mashed the flowers, why stop there?

58 pages and 152,000 views one must expect a few flowers are gonna get mashed. I wouldn't expect someone just coming upon this thread to have read the hole thing but tone is important.

DCSki answered this question on their facebook page:
(2 screenshots from FB)

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 6.31.24 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 6.32.22 AM.png
"Why is nobody talking about timberline? With all that's going on there. Doc being charged with opiate distribution and not payment of back taxes, Vail allegedly considering purchasing the resort. These are topics I would think would be of main interested to this forum. Are these stories being censored away from discussion?"

last week, and basically stated that if anyone wanted to discuss Timblerline that they should come here, to Pugski. Scott Smith even was so kind to provide a link to the thread on Pugski. There was also in that post a guest appearance from none other than Tracy Edmunds Herz

[Mod note: Edited with permission of poster to remove content unrelated to Timberline]

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Holtmann

TomH
Skier
Canaan Valley is a very beautiful and wild place for the East Coast. Is it 100% pristine - no. But there really are few places on the East Coast that have access to so much wilderness and at the same time are home to multiple ski resorts. The locals are really fine people. They live there for a reason and in my experience are extremely welcoming to outsider. If the outsiders are repectful. As far as what is going on in the Valley there is always a lot of speculation and most of it is incorrect. There are people on this thread that know what is going on and they have dropped hints of where this is heading. The odds that they will mine TLine property are pretty much zero. While the infrastructure is worthless the land is not. As cut, it has the best pure ski terrain in the Mid-Atlantic and gets as much natural as anywhere in the Mid-Atlantic. Most importantly, there is a four lane highway for virtually 180 miles from the Valley to the 6th largest metropolitan area in the country. So my guess is that the most valuable use of the land is as a ski resort. It may take some time though. The sooner the better for all concerned.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
58 pages and 152,000 views one must expect a few flowers are gonna get mashed. I wouldn't expect someone just coming upon this thread to have read the hole thing but tone is important.

DCSki answered a question on their facebook page last week that basically stated that if anyone wanted to discuss Timblerline that they should come here, to Pugski. Scott Smith even was so kind to provide a link to the thread on Pugski. There was also in that post a guest appearance from none other than Tracy Edmunds Herz
Wow, just wow!
Hey Jimmy, how much scotch do you think we'll go through before this gets resolved?
:rocks:

Last edited by a moderator:

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, just wow!
Hey Jimmy, how much scotch do you think we'll go through before this gets resolved?
:rocks:

Well I am on Black Label until this resolves. Looking forward to an old bottle of single malt when whatever they name this new ski area opens! Snowshoe plans to open on November 22, things aren't so bad in West Virginia.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well I am on Black Label until this resolves. Looking forward to an old bottle of single malt when whatever they name this new ski area opens! Snowshoe plans to open on November 22, things aren't so bad in West Virginia.
You'll drink what I bring for you to drink, and you're gonna like it!
giphy.gif

Bananana

Booting up
Skier
If the buyer does indeed end up being the apparent stalking horse bidder, Dan Moore Sr., or his son, Daniel Moore Jr. they should have fairly deep pockets.

Looks like DM Sr. owned ~17.95% of Matewan Bancshares prior to the $136 million acquisition by BB&T so would have netted ~$25 million in stock in just that transaction (closer to $40m today if you assume the BB&T share appreciation of ~55% as a proxy). Plus the family operated a number of car dealerships in WV and KY (seems like DM Jr. is/was active in operating those), so may or may not have accumulated significantly more.

Would be curious to know exactly their plans though given DM Sr.'s age (78). Good for him if he's still skiing White Lightning.

I haven't been able to dig up much info other than on the the 2004 WV gubernatorial run (finished 2nd in the GOP primary), but would love to know if they've been involved in any other real estate / hospitality investments to give a clue on what they might be aiming for here.

Bananana

Booting up
Skier
It's confusing, I found another Daniel Moore ....

Yeah, I'm really not sure since I cant seem to find the entity listed anywhere. The address listed in the LOI is just for the law firm they are using. Could easily be a completely different guy. I'm not sure if the poster who first mentioned him has some insider info, but it does make at least some sense given his WV ties. Its a fairly common name though and it looks like there are other wealthy Daniel Moores in the surrounding states.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
How many people are still holding ridiculous passes?

Low End

Booting up
Skier
Folks in the know are not going to post some of the details that are coming out now until they are made public. But I would look for the local paper to publish in its legal reporting section that the Phred was indicted on 5 felony counts of fraudulent schemes.

Thoughts and Prayers!!

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wow, all these years and I did not even know about a DCSki facebook page. I feel sad no one told me. Does Pugski have a FB page? OMG you do! That post from Scott was kind of funny in a consistent kind of way since we started this thread exactly 11 months ago to the day after he said enough already, which was fair, it's his site, no problem. 11 months, that's worth another round. Thanks pug !
:rocks:.

Kemperski

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am not finding any news reporting on Fred's case so perhaps "folks in the know" could provide some more details? the tone is getting rather coy

JayDubs

Booting up
Skier
I don't think that's the right company. The company on the LOI is "Timberline Land Holding Company, LLC" not "Timberline Holdings, LLC". The company you are referencing was also formed in 2009.

I'm thinking this may be the lender's company, since someone mentioned its roughly what is owed. If the bid is met, then all the creditors get their money back. If no one exceeds the $2.5M they end up taking full title to the collateral and figure it out from there. At least that is how it sometimes works with commercial property.

Sponsor